Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Potato Dextrose

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

homemade agar, not good
    #2841605 - 06/30/04 12:06 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Well i made some agar (pdya) last night, for the first time. Boiled the potato, added 2 teaspoons of Karo, a gram of yeast extract and 9 grams of agar agar to 500 mL of potato water....

I shook up the bottle and poured the pdya into about a dozen half pint jars...

I then made a second batch the same way and kept it in a quart jar...

I pressure cooked them all at 15lbs, 30 mins and cooled slowley...

The problem is a few of the jars didnt solidify at all, the ones that did solidify have a layer of water on top of them...that cant be good can it? Also the quart jar that i made for later has a distinct whiter layer on bottom.

I think my agar is ok (telephone brand), did the jars not solidify because the pdya wasnt homogenized? I shook it up real good, should i put it in the blender or what? Can i heat up the jars, and repour them?

Join The American Communist Party

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Loc: NY
Re: homemade agar, not good [Re: Kommunist]
    #2841671 - 06/30/04 12:29 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

You should be able to re-heat and re-pour. I'd just add more agar. I'm assuming that the recipes here are for bacteriological agar, and that you've got health-store agar, which tends to be softer.

"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: homemade agar, not good [Re: Kommunist]
    #2841684 - 06/30/04 12:33 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

The excess water can pose a problem. Try pouring it off if the agar is thick enough. It did not solidify because either you didnt mix it up well after it was hot, or your mix was a bit thin for the brand you are using. Try adding more next time, it at least needs to be as hard as jello IME, at least hard enough to allow cutting and transferring without falling apart. IME even rubber like consistency still works fine... I do not know of an ideal "hardness level".

Don't shake it once cooked, use a swirling motion. If you shake it you will end up with bubbles that won't go away. I would just start over instead of trying to reheat the jars and repour them, but its up to you. Remember to use a bit more agar next time (a gram or two), and mix the contents while pouring after cooking. The agar must be very hot for it to fully dissolve...

I use 5 grams agar per 200ml water. That is about 12g per 500ml. Agar varies...

To give is to live...

always improving

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Re: homemade agar, not good [Re: ATWAR]
    #2842018 - 06/30/04 01:49 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I made my own PDA agar a few weeks ago and it had extra water too. I didnt have my sclae then so i eyeballed agar from the bag. Ill just pour it off in front of my flowhood before using it.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Potato Dextrose

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation