Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKMK
matrixaficionado

Sterilization WITHOUT a PC
    #2839119 - 06/29/04 09:04 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Well, as you can see I'm very much new to these boards. I've known about shroomery.org for about a year or a year and a half, something like that.

recently started getting into growing mushrooms and through reading about creating "cakes" it seems that all of the TEKs advise you to use a PC.

in my current living situation, buying a PC would cause suspicion (lets just say roommates would question me) especially a larger one. Weird how one day you just show up with a PC and expect nobody to ask why you got it. i can't even try using an excuse because i don't know what the PC could be used for (something believable that is).

my question is this - i was considering buying mason/canning jars with a tapered top, maybe 8-12 of them. for sterilization, let the jars soak in a bleach solution (if this is a good move, what is the bleach-to-water ratio?) for about 4-6 hours, rinse very, very well. take jars, as many as i can and boil for a good hour or an hour and a half. would this be sufficient sterilization?

also, once i make the substrate (BRF/VERM - any other ideas for a fire time grower?) and put it in the jars, should i boil again?

this is just something i thought of but any input on my idea would be GREATLY appreciated. i'm really interested in this and i only want to go with the PC option if i absolutely have to.

i know PCs are the best and give you less of a chance of contamination, but are tehre any other methods that will give me the same quality in sterilization?

thanks again.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: KMK]
    #2839150 - 06/29/04 09:14 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineKMK
matrixaficionado

Re: Sterilization WITHOUT a PC [Re: Citric]
    #2839200 - 06/29/04 09:34 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

well i would obviously be doing the kitchen work when nobody is around, and with boiling i leave no evidence..

using a PC would leave me having a PC sitting in the kitchen which they would question as i have nothing to do w/the cooking, dinner, etc.

my idea would be to rinse jars with bleach, boil for 30 mins to remove any immediate contaminants that i transferred onto them from handling, load substrate then boil/steam boil for an hour.

does this sound good..especially to you more exp. growers?

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: KMK]
    #2839216 - 06/29/04 09:41 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineKMK
matrixaficionado

Re: Sterilization WITHOUT a PC [Re: Citric]
    #2839343 - 06/29/04 10:16 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

ok. thanks again..

do you know of any retail stores that would carry brown rice flour? GNC doesn't..

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

Re: Sterilization WITHOUT a PC [Re: KMK]
    #2839358 - 06/29/04 10:21 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

you can use a cleveland steamer but those are like 5-20k but you can do like four gallon size jars

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

OfflineMisfitsRuled

#2839379 - 06/29/04 10:27 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

i got my brf from Pick N Save... dunno if that chain is national or not but like in most grocery stores there is the health nut section, you should be able to find it there.

The bags are kinda sneaky sometimes so you need to look pretty good.  :smile:

OfflineKMK
matrixaficionado

Re: Sterilization WITHOUT a PC [Re: MisfitsRuled]
    #2839473 - 06/29/04 11:02 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

i think i'm stuck with buying brf & verm online.. :-\

Offlinehugo
tuna fish

#2839522 - 06/29/04 11:10 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

i got BRF at safeway. and tell your friends your mom gave you the pressure cooker for a gift or soemthing and when they are out itll only take 30min to PC then just store it =]. dont u think you should tell them anyways? wht if they found 12 jars colonizing and thought you pooped in them and they are molding and they throw them out

OfflineTrique
Psilocybe Junkie
Loc: Chocolate Town, Pennsylva...
Re: Sterilization WITHOUT a PC [Re: hugo]
    #2840645 - 06/29/04 04:38 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Whole Foods, or any organic food market, will have brown rice flour. Vermiculite is a little harder to come by, so I get onto city search and call around to all the nursery's in town. The phone book works just as well except you can't see how far it is before you call.

About sterilization, here's the trick if you don't have a PC. Make the substrate, put it in the jars just like normal, and leave in incubation stage for 48 hours without the spores innoculated yet. After those 48 hours, boil the jars in water for a good 35-45 minutes. Make sure the lid to the pot is on. You don't want the jars to dry out, as baking in the oven would mistakenly do for you. Let them cool for at least 12 hours in a sterilized environment.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck