Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedazednconfuzed
Stranger

Please help me identify .
    #2837273 - 06/28/04 06:27 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I went picking and found these growing on cow dung.I have dried them just in case they are real,but i dont want to eat them until i get a couple of opinions on what it is.I think they are liberty caps but im not sure,i havent picked many times.I am only familiar with cubensis.
This pic was taken around 10 hours after i picked them.

sorry these are crumbled

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Please help me identify . [Re: dazednconfuzed]
    #2837309 - 06/28/04 06:35 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

first of all: where in the world do you live?
second: Psilocybe semilanceata do not grow from dung.
third of all: at least in north america, this is not the season for semilanceata.

you should take a gander at the shroomery's mushroom hunting FAQ section. it will give you a lot of information on hunting a variety of psilocybian mushrooms and get you started on learning to identify your own mushrooms.

you should also read the sticky thread containing the forum rules; it provides a useful checklist of information to include when posting an id request.

beyong that, myself and many other indeviduals in this forum will be happy to try to give you any other help you need.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinedazednconfuzed
Stranger

Re: Please help me identify . [Re: canid]
    #2837338 - 06/28/04 06:46 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

hmm thanks but i need no other help i just noticed how about 5 other people did it and no one cared.I live in birmingham,alabama.If you don't want to help then just dont reply man.They were growing from dung and grass with hay on top.I dont really need someone to remind me about rules.I did look in the mushrooms hunting FAQ.As a matter of fact,i looked at every psilocybe species and couldnt tell so either im stupid or these arent what i want.I tried to do a spore print but the caps were ripped.I checked to see if it turned blue and it did on the cap.And i didn't see a point in typing out a description of the stem length,the cap size,and etc when i posted a picture.It seemed like a purple/blue in the middle of the cap and around the edge.Some people say there are poisonous species that also turn a blue color.I appreciate the help.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #2837445 - 06/28/04 07:20 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

you seem to be a bit on the defensive. i am only trying to let you know that there are rules to this forum and if you don't want to follow them then don't bother posting here. i am telling you how things are done here so you can get the help you are looking for without having to be hastled. i am still trying to help you out .

in response to the rest of your post:
you will not be able to find Psilocybe semilanceata in Alabama but you will be able to find the P. cubensis you already know and i believe Coplandia cyanescens.

many psilocybian mushrooms bruise blue but none of them bruise purple, this is a common misconception confusing bruising color with the spore color of species of the genus Psilocybe. this bruising is usualy distinctive [even when faint] and you will come to recognize it easily in species other than cubensis.

you can print a damaged cap easily enough. if you can't obtain a print because it has begun to dry out you can add a drop or more of water to the top of the cap until it is just moist. it will usualy help.

to give you a warning; the mushrooms which are poisonous and bruise blue are the boletes [of several genera]. these are charactorised by having pores [a fine sponge like tissue] in place of gills. not all blue bruising boletes are toxic but none of them are active. many are verry good edibles but they can take a lot of study to be comfortable in identifying them.

there is also the toxic Gilled Bolete which looks a bit like many of the boletes but has gills instead of pores. it often posesses some pores allong the base of the stipe [giving the appearance that it didn't quite know what it wanted to be when it grew up]. it can be distinguished by a spore print. i do not remember the binomial for this species but it should still be mentioned in the FAQ.

good luck and please look up Coplandia cyanescens in the FAQ or elsewhere online if you want to find active species other than P. cubensis in your area.

good luck.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Please help me identify . [Re: canid]
    #2837676 - 06/28/04 08:56 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I'll conocur n that motion posted above by Concrete.

mj

Offlinedazednconfuzed
Stranger

#2838008 - 06/28/04 11:02 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I looked it up and i didn't think the pics or description matched this one.Those were way too white.These had 3 or 4 mushrooms growing from each.....i guess mycelium.it was like this O O O .
\ | /
\|/
These were darker,like a grey/purple color when they were alive.Anyways,Ill probably end up throwing these out tomorrow if no one has a clue what they are.Ill just go pick some cubensis because i am familiar with those.

Offlinedazednconfuzed
Stranger

#2838015 - 06/28/04 11:04 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

whoops,that shroom diagram thing didnt come out right.Anwyways hope ou get what it means,3 coming from one base,it was clusters,and there were a ton of them growing on the dung.

Offlinedazednconfuzed
Stranger

#2838053 - 06/28/04 11:18 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

oh and if it helps any they were growing on an area where cow dung was then it just kinda mixed in with the soil i guess,in other words it wasnt fresh.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom