Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebudro
journeyman
questions with conflicting answers pleeze help
    #2837367 - 06/28/04 08:55 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

first pf tek grow:verm, brown rice flour,water,1/2 pint jars two piece lid.after prepared substrate mix and before i ad dry verm to top of jars i am to wipe the inside top of jar clean before putting dry verm on top, should i wipe down with just paper towel or should i wipe with alcohol on paper towel(ive read a couple of different things).second after innoculation tape the four holes? band aid or masking tape?tinfoil? alot of different answeres out there.also two piece lid(for jar) rubber band up or down, really tightly screwed on,or medium or loose.i will be letting my jars cool overnight after sterilization.how is the best way too cool with the least amount of chance of contam?should i leave tinfoil on or of should i tape holes while cooling or leave holes exposed.and the final ? with this tek i am using equador.can i also use camdodian and golden teacher (VERY SORRY ABOUT THIS ?)MY NAME IS JIM I AM VERY NEW TO ALL THIS AND I AM SORRY IF SOME OF THESE ?'S SEEM TRIVIAL TO YOU BUT FOR THE NEW GUY THESE ARE IMPORTANT ?'s. I HAVE THROULGHLY RESEARCHED THE ?'S I ASKED AND THERE ARE ALOT OF DIFF. ANSWERS IU APPRECIATE EVERYBODYS HELP

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Yeti Sports

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
Re: questions with conflicting answers pleeze help [Re: budro]
    #2837416 - 06/28/04 09:09 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

budro said:
i am to wipe the inside top of jar clean before putting dry verm on top, should i wipe down with just paper towel or should i wipe with alcohol on paper towel(ive read a couple of different things).

I wipe mine with a dry paper towel.

Quote:

After innoculation tape the four holes? band aid or masking tape?tinfoil?

I just used tinfoil

Quote:

two piece lid(for jar) rubber band up or down, really tightly screwed on,or medium or loose.

This would be up to you. I did my lids 1/4 turn off with rubber down.

Quote:

i will be letting my jars cool overnight after sterilization. how is the best way too cool with the least amount of chance of contam? should i leave tinfoil on or of should i tape holes while cooling or leave holes exposed.

I left the tinfoil on and cooled on the table. Some people cool in the PC.

Quote:

i am using equador.can i also use camdodian and golden teacher

Not in the same jar! Although the tech works on all Ps. Cubensis strains

Ok lets clear some things up.. This is not like rebuilding a car engine where you have to be exact with everything. This is more like baking a cake. Relax take a deep breath and enjoy the process.

Oh and everyone hollers about being sterile! This is general good practices like your doctors office not sterile like a Class 5 pathogen lab. :wink:

After reading so many Tek's about growing I came to the conclusion that I needed to relax and just try one. Almost all of them work and the ones that don't everyone talks about.

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2837456 - 06/28/04 09:23 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Ok,here goes my best shot at answering your Q's.
1. The pupose of wiping the exposed part of the jar is to prevent any nutrient rich substrate from providing a wick effect that will lead contams to your substrate. Although wiping with alcohol is probably not necessary due to the pressure cooking killing all contams,many like to make double sure by using it. If you do use alcohol just make sure that you only use a damp paper towel with all excess alcohol squeezed out.

2.Masking tape will work fine for the holes. Im not sure about the cheap stuff ,but the blue painters masking tape will make it through the pc'ing process just fine so put it on before you pc. The foil is to keep excess moisture from entering the jar while pc'ing so it is a must have IMO. It will also keep dust and other contams from settling on the jar lid once you take them out of the pc.

3.People advise to place the lid with rubber up simply because of the vaccuum effect. Since you will be making holes before pc'ing there is no reason to worry about creating a vaccuum inside the jar. The porous tape will allow pressure to regulate itself. Having said this I would put the rubber down to ensure a nice airtight seal during inccubation.

4. The best way to cool IMO is to just leave them in the pc until the next day when you are ready to innoculate. The environment within the pc will remain the most sterile place in the house until you open it. Some are concerned that the cooling process wil cause the pc to suck in contamed air so if this concerns you ,just put a cotton ball or something over the vent hole to help filter any possible incoming air.

5. EQ's are an excellent cube to start with! Yes you can use cambos or GT's with the same tek,but not in the same jars of course.

6. Take the foil off just before you innoculate. Leave the tape on until the jars are about 60% colonized and the growth shows signs of slowing down. Then remove the tape and turn the jars upside down. The dry verm layer will protect them from contams and inverting the jars will allow the exchange of co2 for fresh o2. The co2 is heavier than normal air and will flow out via gravity and fresh air will jump start the final growth stages of your myc.

Well I hope this answers your q's!
Good Luck and welcome to the Shroomery!

MYKEY

Offlinebudro
journeyman
Re: questions with conflicting answers pleeze help [Re: Mykey]
    #2837509 - 06/28/04 09:51 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I REALLY DO APPRECIATE EVERBODYS FEED BACK,THANK YOU VERY MUCH,JIM M,U.S.A. CT.

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #2837535 - 06/28/04 10:03 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

WELCOME TO THE SHROOMERY!

About the only tips I can give you for getting started are (you obviously did your homework, I appreciate that):

Do not be afraid to boil, steam or pressure cook longer than what is said in the tek your using. With a pressure cooker though the recommended time is usually sufficient. If you are boiling or steaming your jars I suggest fractional sterilization. It will help to guarantee the jars are sterile. 2 days would be sufficient. Also, try looking into poly-fill for you lids, it works and is basically its own self-sealing injection port...

The reason you get conflicting information is because many people develop their own methods. I suggest you do the same as you continue to grow...

I bid you good luck on your first attempt.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

(I had to yell to get his attention, he lives far away)...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlinebudro
journeyman
Re: questions with conflicting answers pleeze help [Re: ATWAR]
    #2837578 - 06/28/04 10:22 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

THANX!!

Offlinesea_of_weed
Devil without acause
Loc: Planet Earth
    #2837663 - 06/28/04 10:52 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

party on budro

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation