Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineedisnione
edisnione

Outside grow.. opinions please
    #2836485 - 06/28/04 12:54 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

A freind of a friends of a friends would like your opinion

He got 11 cakes that just finished their first flush but got a little bit of mold so he put all of them in a plastic bag and crumbled them up in nice lil chunks..

He dug a patch about 4 inches deep

layed out the crumbled substrate

layed out a layer of fresh horse manure

some more crumbled substrate

some more horse poop..

then toped it off with a small layer of the duged up dirt

and watered

what do you guys think of his method? he couldnt find hay but he still thinks it might work

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Outside grow.. opinions please [Re: edisnione]
    #2836610 - 06/28/04 01:34 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

you missed one major criteria: where in the world is this patch?

Offlineedisnione
edisnione

Re: Outside grow.. opinions please [Re: debianlinux]
    #2836645 - 06/28/04 02:11 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

under the shade of a bush

OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

Re: Outside grow.. opinions please [Re: edisnione]
    #2836814 - 06/28/04 03:14 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

If your outdoor temps are within the fruiting range for the species in question then you should see some good results. Right now good portions of the SE are experiencing perfect weather for subtropical mushroom growth.

The horse manure should run with the mycelium over the course of about 2-3 weeks as long as it is kept moist (not drenched) and not allowed to dry out completely for extended period of time. Being in the shade, if temps are in the right range, you should start to see growth of mushrooms within 3-4 weeks. If it gets too hot (with summer in full swing) it's possible that your bed may survive until fall and start fruiting as temps come back in line with the species being cultivated (as long as it doesn't try out).

Just make sure that the dirt used to cover the bed isn't "packed down" too tightly. You want a light and "fluffy" casing layer, or the mushrooms may have difficulty making it through. Try using loose forest material, like small pieces of leaves and bark, or even hardwood mulch instead of just dug up dirt.

Edited by psilocyber (06/28/04 03:18 PM)

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Outside grow.. opinions please [Re: psilocyber]
    #2836833 - 06/28/04 03:24 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Layering dosent work as well as mixing in. If you just mad it you should scrape off eth casing layer and mix it up then relevel and case with coir,peat or potting soil mixed with manure then sprinkle the dirt on top to blend it in.

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Outside grow.. opinions please [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2836985 - 06/28/04 04:24 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

On the contrary to what Grower has advised, I think you are fine. Your obviously going to waste precious colonization time digging into it and mixing it up. Casing with the dirt you dug out of the hole is also fine. No need to change anything, they will colonize and fruit just fine. Peat or Coir based casing layers are good, but green moss I hear is best. Even sand will work as a casing layer.

Also, you should not make a casing layer mixed with manure. The point of a casing layer is to add water, not nutrients. Don't listen to grower...

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Outside grow.. opinions please [Re: ATWAR]
    #2837079 - 06/28/04 04:51 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I bet heed get fruits faster if he mixed it up, i doubt ther was much colonization unless he amd it more then 3 days ago. I heard laying spahgnum moss works great over your casing layer. Im just telling him what i do man... Whats up with everyone jumping on my back and saying im wrong? ITS REALLY STARTING TO PISS ME OFF! SHUT THE HELL UP AND SAY YOUR OPINIONS DONT SAY MINE IS WRONG!

Coir alone dries up too fast.... again im just talking out of my ass no experience, i only have 7 patches going, 1 fruiting and one i just harvested.

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

#2837147 - 06/28/04 05:32 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

It's quite simple. The way he has it now it will colonize, no doubt about that (mixing it up will force it to recover, it is fine like it is). It is clear that a peat/coir/vermiculite casing layer would probably do better than dirt, although it will work fine (trust me, even sand works - In nature the mycelial network will absorb moisture from the ground, especially with regular waterings).

Quote:

Whats up with everyone jumping on my back and saying im wrong? ITS REALLY STARTING TO PISS ME OFF! SHUT THE HELL UP AND SAY YOUR OPINIONS DONT SAY MINE IS WRONG!

If you want my honest opinion Grower, you post information that is completely wrong in some cases and other tips you give sound like they are ill thought out. Especially when you have limited experience or research into the subject. You post continually in the Advanced forum where IMO, you have no business offering advice (or asking basic cultivation questions, posting grows, etc. - Use the right forum). You need to get a few cultivation books and read them over a few times, then get some experience under your belt before you post mis-information. Obvioulsy people are saying you are wrong for a reason, here is mine:

Strike 1: Offering advice on outdoor patches saying green mold and worms can take over fast, and they are not easy. IME, an outdoor cubensis patch is as easy as can be...

Strike 2: Saying the reason mushrooms fall over is due to high CO2 levels (and it was clearly obvious none of the mushrooms in that thread showed evidence of elevated carbon dioxide levels).

Strike 3: Yelling at people for saying you are wrong when you clearly have limited experience and knowledge. This speaks very much about your character and level of professionalism.

I am not here to fight, I try hard to not lose my cool. But I have been watching your advice, and have caught you on several occasions giving information out that is poor, or generally untrue. I have held off until now, but I believe a rating is in order...

Take it as it is, I will not discuss this further with you.

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #2837346 - 06/28/04 06:50 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

1. I had a problem with greenmold taking over and i had a problem with worms in most of my patches since its been too wet here. This is just from what i saw in my experience.

2. They looked unhealthy to me then what was it? He must have hit the casing....

3.Who's to say i have limeted knolegde? Whats to know? Steralize inject the spores, the myc grows, it colonizes pins form and grow into fruitbodys. Control the temp and humidity and keep things clean if indors. Play with agar a bit, make plots, take spore prints, make syringes, build a flowhood, play with mycobags am i missing anything?

O i forgot that i dint read any shroom books... too bad i didnt or I'd just read about what i already know. I always found the internet is a better source of information then any book.

Dont even try and say dont discuss this anymore. You say something expect soemthing in return. You give what you get.

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

#2837500 - 06/28/04 07:45 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

1. I had a problem with greenmold taking over and i had a problem with worms in most of my patches since its been too wet here. This is just from what i saw in my experience.

And I also remembered you said that you spawned it with a contaminated casing. That is not experience if you ask me, that is a single biased failed attempt. I have worms in my beds (lots of them actually), I do not consider them a problem at all; in fact the mycelium looks perfectly healthy. Mushrooms will grow like they always do (and have), with nature at the wheel.

Quote:

3.Who's to say i have limeted knolegde? Whats to know? Steralize inject the spores, the myc grows, it colonizes pins form and grow into fruitbodys. Control the temp and humidity and keep things clean if indors. Play with agar a bit, make plots, take spore prints, make syringes, build a flowhood, play with mycobags am i missing anything?

Yes, you obviously still have a lot to learn if you think after simply mastering cubensis cultivation (or basic cultivation techniques for most mushrooms) you have reached the point where there is nothing left to learn. I seriously advise looking at the Shroomery bookstore and order TMC or GGMM at the very least. If you think you have all the information you need to know then fine. I am not here to make you learn or to be an ass, but I am here to stop the spread of misinformation.

Quote:

O i forgot that i dint read any shroom books... too bad i didnt or I'd just read about what i already know. I always found the internet is a better source of information then any book.

Hmm. Give books a try; the internet is not a replacement. It is a library for the lazy. The biggest thing I have noticed is it appears you have limited experience but think you know the answer to everyone?s questions. Of course you have given out good advice, but the bad shines through. Yelling, smart remarks, and cursing usually doesn't win points with people either. This is a public form with tons of hits, try to keep it professional. And do remember, this is the advanced forum for advanced techniques...

Probably the best advice I can give you is to try new techniques. Experimenting is fun, and will teach you more than any book (but the books or the lazy mans library will guide you). No text can compare with what you learn through experience...

Quote:

Dont even try and say dont discuss this anymore. You say something expect soemthing in return. You give what you get.

Basically that was said to keep from getting off topic. If you honestly want to keep it up further, take it to PM's.

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #2837852 - 06/28/04 09:55 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I realize there is much to learn in all of my hobbies, and i have been experimenting. But who's to give you the right to critisize me. It sems you live upto your name and i think you should becomre more passive.

back ot, I still think you can benfit from givng the casing a stir. Even if it is a bit colonized you now have more growing substrate to spread around, same theory as shaking a colonizing jar of grain.

I feel he can benifit from using a coir or peat based casing if hees already stirring up the casing. The manure i just add in as directed in the outdoor tek and i subsitute the soil for coir because coir is the best soil you can get moisture wise.

Can we get another opinion on leaving it layered with only one spawn layer or mixing? psilocyber, what do you think?

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

#2837880 - 06/28/04 10:15 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Gr0wer said:
I realize there is much to learn in all of my hobbies, and i have been experimenting. But who's to give you the right to critisize me. It sems you live upto your name and i think you should becomre more passive.

Indeed, as do I. We all have things to learn. Who am I to criticize you? A fellow human with his own opinion. It's not from one post, or two, but multiple times I have seen you post incorrect information, or information based on limited experience. You could say I live up to my name in your case, but I think I have been rather placid. Not yelling at people to shut the hell up... Tis me who needs to be more passive?

IMO since he has already made the outdoor patch, I would leave it alone and let mother nature handle it with a little help from the sprinkler now and then. But if he wants to go digging it up to mix the spawn, it will colonize that way as well. Either way it will work, so why mess with it? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Or, leave well enough alone... There are no real advantages except a possible increase in colonization speed. It would be unrealistic to say mix it up unless we knew for sure he put a 1/2" layer of rye spawn down under 12" of manure. In that case I would suggest he mix. A few inches however is not going to make much of a difference.

Edit: Not only that but he has more than one layer...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Edited by ATWAR (06/28/04 10:16 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract