Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Mycobags, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Loc: England.
I'm a horrible n00b (Sclerotia qns...)
    #2837087 - 06/28/04 06:56 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hi!

Sorry, I know this qn has been asked loads of times in various forms, I've read through pretty much all of them, but I just want to be 100% sure. I've been wanting to grow some nice fungus for ages now, but have never quite gotten round to it. So, this will be my first attempt, and I don't want it to go badly. It would break my little heart if it did :sad:. I promise, once you've answered all my stupid qns, I'll go back to the ethno garden and leave you all in peace :wink:.

OK, here is my plan. I'm just hoping that someone with experience will be able to look over it and point out where I'll go wrong, and hopefully give me some tips.

Preparation:

1) Get P. Mexicana A spore syringe and grass seed, without fungicides.
2) Mix grass seed and water in a 2:1 weight ratio, and let it sit over night, or until the water has been all soaked up (heat in microwave if necessary).
3) Get some good-sized jars, and fill 3/4 with the wet seed.
4) Make holes in the lids of the jars, and use glue to attach sub-micron filter paper over the holes (question: what size holes?).
5) Put lids on jars loosely, and PC for 90 mins.
6) When cool, remove jars from PC and screw lids on tightly.

Innoculation:

1) Rub everything that I will use (including hands and arms) with dilute peroxide, or alcohol.
2) Put everything that I will use into a large, transparent plastic bag to avoid air currents and breath from bringing in foreign spores.
3) Swab needle of spore syringe with more peroxide/alcohol, just to make sure.
4) Unscrew a jar lid, lift it very slightly, and squirt 1cc of spore solution into jar. Screw lid back on.
5) Repeat 3) and 4) for all jars.
6) Remove jars from big plastic bag, and shake them around to distribute spores.

Colonisation and sclerotia growth:

1) Place jars in a dark (question: totally dark, or just not bright?) place at around 70*F.
2) Wait a month.
3) Wait another month.
4) And another month (and then another?).
5) Harvest.

Optional steps:

1) Use any excess spore solution to make some karo or agar slants, using the normal method, and keep them in fridge for future use.

2a) Get the biggest, juciest, fastest-growing sclerotium formed.
2b) Cut it in half with a sterile knife, and scoop out some of the centre.
2c) Use this tissue to make karo solution (all done in plastic bag with usual precautions to prevent contamination).
2d) Repeat entire process, to get endless amounts of (hopefully) good, fast-growing sclerotia.

What do you think? On a scale of "1 to complete failure", how badly do you think I will fail? (no pessimist is ever disappointed!)
I really hope this works. It seems to me to be the easiest way to get very large amounts of nice food, just as long as you don't mind waiting. Which I'm used to from my cacti seedlings...

Thanks for your time and any input!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

Re: I'm a horrible n00b (Sclerotia qns...) [Re: Openminded]
    #2837114 - 06/28/04 07:14 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

You seem to have it down pretty well :wink:. Somebody has been doing their homework...

I would suggest that you not worry about a filter patch for the lid. Sclerotia typically developes better when air filtration isn't that high, because it's really a "survival mechanism" of the mushroom mycelium. Also filter discs on the lids often allow the substrate to dry out prematurely before it has a chance to be converted into bio-mass.

Instead, try drilling a small hole in the lid, only about 1/8 an inch, and using a high heat silicon sealer to "plug" it. Allow the sealer to dry and then cook the jars normally with the lid attached. The sealer will stay in the hole and after you remove the jars you can just inject through the sealer and it will seal itself when you remove the needle... kinda a "ghetto" self-healing injection site for your lid.

Most sclerotia takes about 3-4 months to reach full maturity, so just be patient and make sure your temps stay stable (they seem to just like normal room temps).

You might also want to check out the Sclerotia formula MycoBags from MycoBag.com. These are specially formulated for sclerotia growth.

Offlinenimbus
audiophile
 User Gallery

Loc: third stone from the sun
    #2837194 - 06/28/04 08:06 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

did I understand it wrong or does one have to screw the lids tight when growing sclerotia? because for example the lids are left loose
and covered with foil or have a polyfill/tyvek filter for air exchange. Does sclerotia (mexicana A) not need this?

--------------------
we are reasonable people...

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I'm a horrible n00b (Sclerotia qns...) [Re: nimbus]
    #2837260 - 06/28/04 08:25 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

It does not need it, but it shouldn't cause too much harm.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Re: I'm a horrible n00b (Sclerotia qns...) [Re: psilocyber]
    #2838690 - 06/29/04 05:59 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I thought about getting a grow kit, or pre-made bag to innoc, but where's the fun in that? :laugh:
So, do you mean that I don't need any ventilation at all? Interesting... I suppose once the substrate is colonised well, after a few months, then if the sclerotia seem to have stopped growing then it can't hurt to open it up a little and allow some air exchange.
Today I'm going to start collecting all the things I need, and maybe make some jars up, so that I can get going as soon as I get my spores!

And they need total darkness, because they grow naturally underground, right?

Thank you very much :smile:.

Offlinenimbus
audiophile
 User Gallery

Loc: third stone from the sun
    #2838698 - 06/29/04 06:08 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

mushmush says lids arent left tight, so the mycelium can breathe.
maybe we should experiment with this?

--------------------
we are reasonable people...

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Re: I'm a horrible n00b (Sclerotia qns...) [Re: nimbus]
    #2839157 - 06/29/04 11:16 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

:smile2:

Everything I need has either been collected or ordered. My spores should be here in two weeks or less! I'm so excited!
At the moment I'm deliberately trying to make some of my grass seed go mouldy, just to be sure that it doesn't have any fungicides. None are stated on the packet, but I thought it wise to check before I put in ?20 of spore solution...
So, unless anyone has any other points, I'll just go along with my plan. But if anyone has found out any useful little tricks or anything to make the process more reliable, please do post...
I might be able to get some pics for you all to see once it's started, IF I can get the camera software to work on this computer....
Oh, and I'm planning to use 2L coke bottles as containers. Some will be sealed, and some will have a filter patch in the lid. I think I'll make up four, and use lots of spore soln in each, to give quicker colonisation times. I figure this will make contams less likely (and I'll make up some karo anyway, so spore conservation isn't really a big issue).

Thanks again for the help!

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2839165 - 06/29/04 11:19 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Just make sure to save some spores in case you fuck up.

Sounds like you're doing very well.

Good luck

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Mycobags, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation