Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
best advanced mushroom books
    #2817191 - 06/22/04 01:07 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

For all you readers out there what's the best mushroom book involving bulk systems, im talking buildings full of shrooms like in dam. Im just trying to see if i can apply any of there meathods to help fine tune and stabalize the environments of our small scale grows. Also anything with shroom chemistry or just any advanced teks, info, or idea's in general. There are at least a good 20 books out there and i know a few are just beginer crap and i dont want to be wasting my time and money. And pics are key unless theres a kick ass book with no pics.

Edited by Gr0wer (06/22/04 01:56 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePooPs
What's thisfor???

Loc: Stirrin up the pile!
Re: best advanced mushroom books [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2817571 - 06/22/04 03:11 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

not a book, but went to the pet store the other day and saw a roll of pond liner 10 feet wide by x long ( as long as you need as it's spooled )..

tough stuff, i'd say 1/16 thick black rubber..

kinda sent some sparks flying ..... i'll leave it at that !!

--------------------

-----------
Sniff, Sniff... What's that smell???... ohhhhh.!!
------------------

Pot Free for another : nevermind.. never made it..

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: best advanced mushroom books [Re: PooPs]
    #2817745 - 06/22/04 04:09 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

That would be nice for a dirt floor crawlspace :laugh: a bit of paint on the walls, 10 bales and 5 bags of composted manure. Compost the hay/manure and pasturize.... Its alwasy nice to dream, thats wat to much work for me, ill stick to rubbermaids for now. Im looking more for humidification meathods.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #2822650 - 06/23/04 11:01 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Im looking more for humidification meathods.

Misting
Perlite
Geolite
evaporation from casing surface
Spinning disk cool mist hummers
Steam hummers (rarely if ever used)
Wicking cool mist hummers (rarely if ever used)
Ultrasonic cool mist hummers
Ultrasonic foggers (used in ponds for cloudy effect, or in aeroponics, eg. hydroponic cloning systems)
Atomizing mist fans (basically an industrial sized spinning disk cool mist hummer)
Saturated salts (rarely if ever used other than checking humidity gauges)

That's about it for humidity options. The pros usually depend most heavily on mist nozles, atomizing fans, and industrial sized ultrasonic hummers.

But back to your original question on books you don't get much better info than the sections in the standard "The Mushroom Cultivator" and "Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms".

If you are really interested in growrooms bigger than those books describe, you're shit out of luck, they don't exist. The methods can be scaled up to the largest buildings I've ever seen. Litereally hundreds of thousands of square feet of growing area.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: best advanced mushroom books [Re: mycofile]
    #2822768 - 06/24/04 12:00 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

What kind of fans are designed to run in high humidity? I was thinking of making a walk in room but now i got my "big guns" (see grow logs+pics) to play with in the meantime. I think the mist nozles would have been the weapon of choice.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #2836775 - 06/28/04 02:57 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I've never had much trouble with fans in high humidity other than a little corrosion. Most of the time humidity will only be about 85-90% which is the ambient humidity in many parts of the world. As long as the fan doesn't say "not for use in Georgia, Alabama or other muggy ass jungle environments" then I'd use it. If worried, maybe a bathroom exaust fan, they are designed to evacuate steamy ass air.

Intrigued on the "big guns".....
*goes to grow log/pictures*

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

#2836852 - 06/28/04 03:28 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

For full room humdifiation your best with some sort of large spinning disc cool mist or the larger industrial fan based units. However the resevoir on most of the cool mists isn't that big. There are a few "wick" based systems that have larger resevoirs but these don't seem to work all that well. This might limit what you are looking for.

Some people have found good success by building pass through humidity system for rubbermade tubs. Basically using a small Vicks or Holmes cool mist (or ultrasonic) and routing the output to force air down a PCP pipe which runs through the tubs and has some holes drilled in to allow the humidity to spill out. Or you can setup the "mini-greenhouse" systems using those 4 shelf plastic covered deals sold on ebay and use a humidifier for each, simple cheap and controllable.

Use of misting nozzels is only good if your room can get SOAKED. Basically you'll need a contrete or tile floor with a drain or slope to keep water from pooling. This is how most commercial farms are run, but for most home use you will have to stick to tubs because you don't want your tile floors, hardwoord, or subflooring getting soaked with constant misting and moisture. Soaked flooring or subflooring will harbor molds and make your life miserable.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: best advanced mushroom books [Re: psilocyber]
    #2837297 - 06/28/04 06:32 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

If your having problems with the coolmist running out, you can hook up a $10 floater top off valve. Just drill a hole in the coolmist rez at the waterline and hook up the feedline to a 5 gal bucket or whatever reserve rez your using.

Offlinemuraakamo
Stranger
    #2885463 - 07/13/04 10:12 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

The Mushroom Cultivator
A Practical Guide to Growing Mushrooms at Home
by Paul Stamets and J.S. Chilton

OfflineScourge
The Dr.
Loc: Near flint Michgan, USA
Re: best advanced mushroom books [Re: muraakamo]
    #2885873 - 07/13/04 11:51 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I agree, that book is wonderfull. A must read or anyone tht considers themself a mycoligist. Ameture or otherwise.

--------------------
"Those who walk in Love and Truth shall grow in Honor and Strength."

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: best advanced mushroom books [Re: Scourge]
    #2886222 - 07/13/04 01:08 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

While I agree this book should be read by anyone interested in cultivation techniques, almost everything covered can be found here. The question remains in my mind:

"What are some other advanced cultivation books worth noting"?

--------------------
To give is to live...

InvisibleShaw

#2889208 - 07/14/04 11:04 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

www.mushworld.com bunch of articles on industrial growing of button mushrooms (agaricus bispor.... i forget) anyways it's an international site, lots of good free articles on such. your only looking for button mushroom information though.

--------------------

InvisibleUna
controlleddemolition

#2900460 - 07/17/04 05:12 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Mushroom cultivation, by Peter Oei

--------------------
www.911blogger.com

OfflinenikoD
Stranger
Male

#14009339 - 02/22/11 07:17 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I don't have too many mushroom books.  In fact I only have the mushroom cultivator which I found in my parents bookshelf all dusty and old.  but it got me started.

--------------------
we've invented senses we didn't even know we had.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate