Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

A few questions
    #2836300 - 06/28/04 12:14 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Okay first off I am very pleased and gratefull to all who have sent me cultures. Thank you very much. I have built a sterile room downstairs and bought the nessessary supplies to start working in a proffesional and sterile matter.

Here are my questions: Can I do a direct transfer of Oyster culture to sterilized straw? If not, why?

Can I Pressure cook Straw (from a bail) in a mycobag and do a direct mycelial transfer?

I understand I can either make more petri dishes or grain spawn. Is there an advantage to either one? Can grain spawn store as long as petri cultures?

Also, I bought a small fridge to keep all my cultures in. What is the best temperature to store them at? I had it on high but it started to cause condensation in the petri dishes so I turned it down to low.

That is all for now. Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

Re: A few questions [Re: Aneglakya]
    #2836580 - 06/28/04 01:23 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

first question, why not direct tran? Because its all about the inoculation points. Even agar to grain is rather slow untill you shake it. Its all about being efficiant and frugal. Rye is less then agar,petri dishes ect. Rye adds nutrieants also. A cup of grain to a bag of straw would add about a 100+ inoculation points. Speeding the whole process by a couple weeks. Agar takes about a week from inoculation to colonised 100% give or take a few days. You would have to keep crankin out dishes to keep up. a couple wedges to a jar, waite a few days then shake, then waite a few more and shake then a few more and boom your ready to spawn ten more jars of spawn. Then those ten could spawn 100 more.

Grain will store for a while aslong as kept cool.

Think of it like this though. Think of mushroom cultivation as a form of surfing. You need to ride the wave to success. Once you start moving you try to ride it till the end. Once you fall off you need to waite around to catch another one. So in other words. When a culture reaches a barrier it stops riding the wave. When it is just sitting around waiting it is getting weak trying to stay afloat. The key is to grasp its vigurus self in its youth while it is the most agressive.
petris are ok to hold onto though thats like its prenatle self. as a jar comes to about 98% ready you need to be ready to serve it up some new territory, other wise it will loose its pep and take a while to gain momentom on the next wave.

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#2836863 - 06/28/04 03:31 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

SHEIKofSHIITAKE: Your comparisons with the surfer are really funny :thumbup:

Alkaloidaholic:

> Can I do a direct transfer of Oyster culture to sterilized straw? If not, why?
This should work if the whole procedure is sterile.

> Can I Pressure cook Straw (from a bail) in a mycobag and do a direct mycelial transfer?
Same as above ...

> I understand I can either make more petri dishes or grain spawn. Is there an advantage to either one?
It depend on what do you want to do. With grain spawn you usually inoculate bulk substrate. The petris are usually used in order to raise sterile cultures for long-term storage or inoculation of grain spawn.

> Can grain spawn store as long as petri cultures?
Huh, I have never tried that out ...

> Also, I bought a small fridge to keep all my cultures in. What is the best temperature to store them at?
I have never seen studies about that, but  I think in general 5 degrees Celsius would be ok. But that also depend on the cultures. Tropical oyster strains like the pink oyster do not like cold temperatures at all and might die at this temperature.

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: A few questions [Re: ragadinks]
    #2837512 - 06/28/04 07:52 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Okay well My girl did some Oyster Culture -> Agar/petri transfers and they are ready to incubate.
What temperature is needed for them to colonise quickly?
One of the cultures I had was pretty dry/crunchy but we used it anyways.
Will this still work for our purpose?

Now as for fruiting substrates. I suppose with Grain I will want to do equal amounts of Rye and Water? I did this for one grain jar and had success with a straw to grain transfer. There is a little contamination but the mycelium is still taking over nicely.

I am going to prepare some Myco bags with straw. Do I just cut 3'' pieces of straw and fill the bag up about half way? Do I need to impulse seal the bag or anything?

Thanks again.

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#2842135 - 06/30/04 12:25 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

> What temperature is needed for them to colonise quickly?
In my incubator the temperature always is between 24-27 degrees Celsius.
But any strain has it's own preferences and the mycelium heats up when colonizing the substrate. Anyway, I would keep the temperature around 26 degrees Celsius.

> One of the cultures I had was pretty dry/crunchy but we used it anyways.
> Will this still work for our purpose?
That depend on how old/dry the culture was. When it has not already died it should work. But it would have been better to transfer the dried out culture to a new petri and see how it was doing on that.

> I suppose with Grain I will want to do equal amounts of Rye and Water?
Have never tried out Rye. I always used WBS which I let soak in water over night and drained for several hours then.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #2842861 - 06/30/04 07:26 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Alkaloidaholic said:
Here are my questions: Can I do a direct transfer of Oyster culture to sterilized straw? If not, why?

Can I Pressure cook Straw (from a bail) in a mycobag and do a direct mycelial transfer?

as Ragadinks pointed out, these procedures can be performed with success if sterility is maintained throughout. straw is typically pasteurised. this, in a nutshell, maintains a biological culture within the straw that resists contamination during colonisation. sterlised straw, lacking this culture, contaminates about as easily as freshly sterilised grain.

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: A few questions [Re: debianlinux]
    #2842910 - 06/30/04 08:09 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for clarifying. I have already just started grain spawn and more cultures but I was still curious as to the possibilities of skipping the spawn step.

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

#2842939 - 06/30/04 08:32 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Okay, Well I will need to pasturize some straw shortly and I am still confused. I shouldn't PC it but I dont really think I have a complete understanding of what the best method is to pasturize it. (I just read so many different things, i'm more interested in personal experience right now)

Can I just use a small clear trashbag as the cropping container? What is the best , readily available container?

What is the easiest and most practical way of pasturizing it? I was told just to put it in my tub and cover it with boiling water from the stove. I was also told to take Calcium oxide and make a solution of that to soak it in. Can I just buy a big styrofoam color and fill it with straw then cover with boiling water?

Thanks for putting up with all my questions. Just for this you are all welcome to ask annoying questions in the Ethnogarden without getting all your posts locked :smile:

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2843009 - 06/30/04 09:16 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Consider getting a book titled Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms (Stamets). Several procedures for pasteurisation are outlined in detail.

Personally, I use a turkey fryer and a pillow case over propane outdoors.

I've seen evidence that the "boiling water poured into an insulated cooler" method works but I prefer active heating as the temperature is easily controlled/maintained.

Specifics such as temperature and cook times can be found both in GGMM and our FAQ.

IMO, the poly-tubing people are using for straw logs is the all-around best material for a cropping container. The primary advantages being ease of use (just pull off how much you need) and scalability (again, just pull off how much you need). You can scale from a 6" log to a 12' hanging column using the exact same material.

If you have already invested in mycobags those can be used just as well, albeit more expensively.

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

#2843210 - 06/30/04 10:58 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I own many of stamets books actually, including both editions of the gourmet / medicinal mushrooms and 4 or 5 other growing guides. I can't do anything outdoors, it has to be indoors. I suppose i'll dig through some more info untill I find what i'm looking for.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2843704 - 06/30/04 01:29 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

There is a tek from many moons ago and I have forgotten the author's name). It wasn't very specific itself so i'll loosely describe it:

Use a large insulated cooler (styrofoam is ok but your gonna have better insulation and longevity with a decent plastic cooler). Place chopped straw in cooler. Dump in boiling or damn-near boiling water until the straw is submerged (use chicken wire and brick or similar to hold straw down). Close lid on cooler and start timer for 1-1.5 hours. After pasteurisation drain the water and proceed to spawn.

Obviously precise temperature control is out of the question but apparently this method works well enough.

thenook.org has an archive section which has many teks dealing with straw preparation which you can view sans registering.

interesting tidbit concerning use of a hot water heater and i see it is called "Ripper's Tek"
http://shroomery.org/forums/showflat-Number-630237.html

Quote:

Quoted from: http://www.spiritplants.com/articles/camel/cameltek.html
For a straw tek I see ripper's straw tek as being an incredibly efficient tek that only requires your stove to be on for about 10 minutes. The idea is pack shredded wheat straw into a pillow case, tie the pillow case shut, and put this into a big cooler (like the kind for tail gate parties). Make sure it's big enough for your pillow case. Boil as many pots of as much water on your stove as you possibly can. When the water begins boiling, carefully pour it into the cooler so the pillow case is soaking in the hot (no longer boiling) water. When the water level is forcing the pillow case to float, put a weight on top of the pillow case so the pillow case goes underwater. Close the cooler, and let it sit for 1 - 2 hours. Take out the pillow case, and press it with a lot of pressure in a sink/bath tub to get all the excess water out. Now let the straw cool somewhat.

in case you didn't tell this post just kinda got added to nilly willy so there is some redundancy. point being, the answers are out there.

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

#2843754 - 06/30/04 01:44 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

That is exactly what I have been searching for. Thank you debain.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates