Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineTonyCanoli
I deserve to be a stranger.

Manure sub vs. coir vs. CVG?
    #28339349 - 05/29/23 11:57 AM (9 months, 25 days ago)

Ok, so I’ve been doing a bit of research into manure based subs. Being that there are so many dung loving varieties and what I seem to have found is that manure based substrate is like one of the simpler substrate recipes. Equal parts coir and manure is what I’ve been looking at and then you’ve got to PC it. What seems to have me stumped is I often see it regarded as one of the more difficult subs? Am I just reading the wrong stuff or is it the PC that makes it difficult?

I’ve got an all coir run going right now and they seem to love it so far. Just getting some pins coming in. So I guess I’m wondering, is it worth it because as far as I can tell a manure sub is easier to make than CVG but coir seems to perform rather well just on its own and it doesn’t get any simpler than hydrating/pasteurizing a block of coir in a bucket.

So what gives? These subs would be used for cubes for what I’m doing. Is making a manure sub worthwhile? Why isn’t it more popular as a simple sub tek?

Any Thoughts on these different subs and their applications? Sorry my brains all over the place but that’s pretty much what I was trying to get at here.

--------------------
Exploring the Myceliverse sharing Spore Stories

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OnlineYahra
Meow

Loc: Earth
Re: Manure sub vs. coir vs. CVG? [Re: TonyCanoli]
    #28339352 - 05/29/23 12:00 PM (9 months, 25 days ago)

You don't need poo for Cubensis. Plain coir is sufficient.

InvisibleWay
The

Loc: A long way away
Re: Manure sub vs. coir vs. CVG? [Re: TonyCanoli] * 1
    #28339355 - 05/29/23 12:01 PM (9 months, 25 days ago)

Quote:

TonyCanoli said:
Ok, so I’ve been doing a bit of research into manure based subs. Being that there are so many dung loving varieties and what I seem to have found is that manure based substrate is like one of the simpler substrate recipes. Equal parts coir and manure is what I’ve been looking at and then you’ve got to PC it. What seems to have me stumped is I often see it regarded as one of the more difficult subs? Am I just reading the wrong stuff or is it the PC that makes it difficult?

I’ve got an all coir run going right now and they seem to love it so far. Just getting some pins coming in. So I guess I’m wondering, is it worth it because as far as I can tell a manure sub is easier to make than CVG but coir seems to perform rather well just on its own and it doesn’t get any simpler than hydrating/pasteurizing a block of coir in a bucket.

So what gives? These subs would be used for cubes for what I’m doing. Is making a manure sub worthwhile? Why isn’t it more popular as a simple sub tek?

Any Thoughts on these different subs and their applications? Sorry my brains all over the place but that’s pretty much what I was trying to get at here.

Some people swear manure makes their shrooms grow better. I swear that singing to them and gently tickling their gills makes them more potent.

Manure is more difficult because it is full of microbes and must be pasteurized before using. It is also harder to get the field capacity correct from what I understand.

For cubes, Coir is all you need. Coir and verm work better for me so I use both, but plenty of people use just coir. Gypsum is a substrate additive that nobody around here really uses any more because there is no noticeable effect on yields or potency.

--------------------

That's the way she goes, boys. Sometimes she goes, sometimes she doesn't, cause that's the fuckin way she goes.

OfflineTonyCanoli
I deserve to be a stranger.

Re: Manure sub vs. coir vs. CVG? [Re: Way]
    #28339375 - 05/29/23 12:17 PM (9 months, 25 days ago)

Quote:

Yahra said:
You don't need poo for Cubensis. Plain coir is sufficient.

Quote:

Way said:

Some people swear manure makes their shrooms grow better. I swear that singing to them and gently tickling their gills makes them more potent.

Manure is more difficult because it is full of microbes and must be pasteurized before using. It is also harder to get the field capacity correct from what I understand.

For cubes, Coir is all you need. Coir and verm work better for me so I use both, but plenty of people use just coir. Gypsum is a substrate additive that nobody around here really uses any more because there is no noticeable effect on yields or potency.

Huh. Interesting. Well shoot then I’m not going to go through all the trouble of trying something new if it produces the same results. Definitely curious to see how my coir box does to compare to the cvg box and I’ll probably get a CV box going today to see how it does.

I’ve been spawning new boxes either right before or at the same time that my most recent boxes are ready to harvest their first flush and it’s been putting me on a pretty good perpetual schedule. So like I’ll harvest, spawn, inoculate new grain, each time a most recent box is approaching harvest and then by the time I harvest the next box is ready to  pin and another one is ready to spawn.

Anyone else have a perpetual schedule they utilize?

--------------------
Exploring the Myceliverse sharing Spore Stories

Edited by TonyCanoli (05/29/23 12:24 PM)

InvisibleMuffin_Man
Sunshine Muffins
I'm a teapot

Re: Manure sub vs. coir vs. CVG? [Re: TonyCanoli]
    #28339402 - 05/29/23 12:37 PM (9 months, 25 days ago)

Personally I avoid poo especially horse if possible,  and I'm always paranoid about chemicals they put into those animals, and horses are the worst for dewormers, etc.  I mean most mushrooms don't uptake tons of toxins, but if you don't need to use poo, I wouldn't just on principle alone.

Offlinerocky_raccoon
Not a number
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Manure sub vs. coir vs. CVG? [Re: Muffin_Man]
    #28340538 - 05/30/23 11:37 AM (9 months, 24 days ago)

I experimented with pasteurized horse manure as a casing for colonized rye grains and it seems to work great for preventing contamination. I had trich infections on coir casings but never on manure, even without taking any care of working sterile. The good bacteria in the manure will just fight off everything else.

My approach is the following:
Use fresh or dried poo. Not too old or decomposed.
Pasteurize for about an hour with about double the amount of hot water (70-80 degrees C). Then wash it properly in a fine sieve to get rid of excessive salts and ammonia. Squeeze out excessive liquid. Mix in some verm for better water retention (something like 2:1 or 3:1). That's it.

Just to add, I usually top fruit glasses of rye. I don't do boxes, since I don't need those quantities. So I cannot give any recommendations regarding that.

--------------------
Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood.
-Marie Curie

Edited by rocky_raccoon (05/31/23 01:05 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale