Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Hygrometer, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemycoresearch
Stranger
A whole mess of questions....
    #2833027 - 06/27/04 12:20 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I've been reading all that I can on this site and others in hopes of having my first attempt at cultivation successful. I do, however, have some questions regarding temperature.

I intend to have PF cakes in a closet prior to birthing them and then relocate them to a storage room in a rubbermaid container with light access on the top only. I have a thermometer/hygrometer that shows me max/min readings for a 24 hour period.

As far as humidity goes, I think that I understand that I can use a one inch layer of perlite on the bottom of the rubbermaid with around a half inch of water to maintain humidity. Please correct me if I have misinterperted this.

I am not really sure on how to maintain the proper temperature. According to my readings, the locations that I plan on using only range from 60F to 70F. I have read that I can use a heating pad or a light source to increase the temp, but I not too clear on how to do this.

1) If I use a heating pad, where should it be located? (e.g. under the PF jars prior to pinning, under the rubbermaid etc.)

2) If I use a light source, where should it be located? (e.g. above the rubbermaid, to the side, indirect, etc)

3) If a light source is used, will this affect the growth by providing too much light in a 24 hour period?

4) I think (if I'm reading the tek correctly) that the jars need absolute darkness until birth. If this is the case, is the use of a light source as heat not possible?

5) Am I overthinking this?

Thanks to everone that resonded to my 1st post. This forum has been such a great resource during this whole process. Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinehugo
tuna fish

Re: A whole mess of questions.... [Re: mycoresearch]
    #2833111 - 06/27/04 12:47 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

im pretty new to this too so dont take my word and correct me if im wrong but i think with the perlite u use a half inch and u run water of it while its in a strainer. if it gets too wet ull ruin your cakes. and i think anywhere from 75-85 degrees is fine for birthing(average room temperature). for the incubation im going to put my jars in a box with a heating pad in the closet if everything gets too complicated you can just put them in the closet at room temperature and it will jsut take longer ( not sure ) but i think they do beet at 85 degrees.

good luck i hope i helped =]

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: A whole mess of questions.... [Re: mycoresearch]
    #2833190 - 06/27/04 01:24 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

>>>As far as humidity goes, I think that I understand that I can use a one inch layer of perlite on the bottom of the rubbermaid with around a half inch of water to maintain humidity. Please correct me if I have misinterperted this.

That will work.

>>>I am not really sure on how to maintain the proper temperature. According to my readings, the locations that I plan on using only range from 60F to 70F. I have read that I can use a heating pad or a light source to increase the temp, but I not too clear on how to do this.

I found a heat pad to be unsuccessful. So I went with the proven tub in a tub with a water heater set at 28C. Though you might have a better heat pad? The one I had got too hot in the central zone and was too cool in the peripheral. However, it was a heat pad designed to heat a tub of water for hydro use -- different animal.

>>>1) If I use a heating pad, where should it be located? (e.g. under the PF jars prior to pinning, under the rubbermaid etc.)

Under the tub (rubber maid).

>>>2) If I use a light source, where should it be located? (e.g. above the rubbermaid, to the side, indirect, etc)

Above.

But honestly, if you can see the cakes in the room through the top of the tub then that's enough light.

>>>3) If a light source is used, will this affect the growth by providing too much light in a 24 hour period?

I doubt it, I had a tub left in a 24/0 mother grow chamber and they were ok.

>>>4) I think (if I'm reading the tek correctly) that the jars need absolute darkness until birth.

Correct, incubate in total darkness.

>>>If this is the case, is the use of a light source as heat not possible?

No, not at all. I placed a cardboard box on a shelf above a 400w MH (as they'd get the rising warmth) and they colonised ok inside that. Point is, the box was dark inside.

>>>5) Am I overthinking this?

Just keep it simple.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Hygrometer, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation