Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
g2g white millet ( not enough water content to fruit.)?
    #2832788 - 06/27/04 10:05 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

if this is not meant for the advance cultivation. i appoligize....it seems like even after a year and a half i still end up in the wrong forum.

i had some problems with wbs contaminating on me so i moved over to white mille finch seed from pet smart. i started off knocking up three jars with burmese. i let colonize and then i did a g2g and made 15 jars succesfully. beautiful mycelium.

then did a straw ball with 5 quarts. i got it to pin but i could never get any decent sized mushrooms off of it. after that i did three casings (rez effect) which i great results with wbs but again mushrooms that were not even as big as a pin.

the other day i was starting over with the same white millet and i left some outside for thirty minutes and it was dry as a rock. so my only assumption that the grain is not suitable to fruit off of. But it does work with growing mass quantities of mycelium.

so i shot some malabar over some white millet and its on its 9th day looking awsome. so my plan is to transfer onto wbs. so when i pour, it will fruit. comments are appreciated.......the reason i put my thread here is because i need help from people with experience. this project took me about three months all together and i failed miserably:(

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: g2g white millet ( not enough water content to fruit.)? [Re: Tomandjerry58]
    #2833573 - 06/27/04 03:21 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I have had problems with white millet fruiting. I believe this is due to the lack of millet to hold/retain water.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
Re: g2g white millet ( not enough water content to fruit.)? [Re: Joshua]
    #2834523 - 06/27/04 09:55 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

then maybe im correct. hopefully?....... when you pass spores over white millet it looks like youve dropped them in an agar dish. im refering to how ropey it is. which makes me think the strain is very strong. i think on my next g2g. i will use about a 1 to 6 ratio on some wbs.

you know whats really wierd though it didn't fruit on the straw which the straw should have had its own water content..... thanks for answering josh i love ur work

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #2835231 - 06/28/04 02:40 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

G2g transfers take easily with a tablespoon of transfered grain. A 1:6 will just make the wbs colonise faster. I am suggesting that millet at least lacks moisture retention for good fruiting. I usually add verm if I want to fruit straight and then hydrate heavily between flushes if I am fruiting directly from the millet. Wbs should hold water a bit better though. I'd suggest taking the next step and transfer your grain to dung or compost.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #2835518 - 06/28/04 05:22 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I agree with Joshua, the millet alone will have very little water content to support a good flush, especially more than one. I have experimented fruiting many grains strait and have come to the conclusion that it is a waste of spawn. The best tips I can give you if your set on using strait millet is to use about an inch of casing mix. Watch overlay so you can water accordingly. If you are set on fruiting a strait grain I say go 50/50 with popcorn and millet. Popcorn holds plenty of water (cook till it just begins to split) but IME good flushes will leave few nutrients for later ones. Perhaps the added nutrients of the millet will supplement the popcorn. Another tip is mix in vermiculite when you make your casing (break the grain up and mix it in well), or add a bottom moist layer.

I am no fan of strait grain for any species.

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: g2g white millet ( not enough water content to fruit.)? [Re: ATWAR]
    #2835691 - 06/28/04 09:34 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

anyone care to explain how millet differs from wbs? the only differenc i've seen is that extra seeds appear alongside mllet in wbs.

btw, i've done some testing using various types of millet. to make a long synopsis short, the larger (BB size or greater), more yellow millet performs best. I noticed an almost proportional relationship between grain size and performance.

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
Re: g2g white millet ( not enough water content to fruit.)? [Re: debianlinux]
    #2838604 - 06/29/04 04:45 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Millet is a rather uniform sized grain, small. I believe Josh is reffering to the larger sized grains in WBS which are more capable of absorbing a higher amount of water. Just like you said the only difference is what lies beside and I think that's what he meant. The variation in sizes allows for a nice mix of the different qualities of the various grains.
And I believe the BB sized grain you are reffering to isn't millet but milo.

Peace - @cro

--------------------

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
Re: g2g white millet ( not enough water content to fruit.)? [Re: @cro]
    #2838776 - 06/29/04 07:34 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

thanks for all the help guys i thought it was just me there. it wasn't until i read about magash using rye berries because of the high water content that i put two and two together. i also think josh is right about the poo because ive seen it done. i think my compression was off on my straw so maybe that was the reason it didn't flush. it pinned just no flush.

OfflineNexxiss
Mushroom Mage

Loc: Mich,USA
    #2849983 - 07/02/04 03:33 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i Mix <the super grain>quinoa(holds alot of liquid), popcorn and Millet for a good spawn, im stuck on grain right now  :mad:

anyone got any good sugestions?? im using rye,brown rice, quinoa,wbs,millet,quinoa flakes and whole,popcorn,so far....
looking for a good bulk tek. so far im doing quarts and 3gal glass jars.  :crazy:

Nex

--------------------
Nexxiss Reign
"as I looked into the Sun and realized the race is not to the swift nor Knowlege to the wise ..nee the yet strenth to the strong...nor Riches to the poor.But time and Chance hapenth to us all!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology