Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesuboriginal
enthusiast

ID request for odd Melbourne 'shrooms'...
    #2832542 - 06/27/04 06:56 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hi shroomers, found a couple of odd specimens a couple of metres from the Yarra river (Melbourne Australia) today, a bit over a metre above water level or so, in woodchips. I'll supply the info I can think of and can add any more on request... would appreciate any suggestions re species. We had some decent rain here 3 days ago, followed by a warmish day or two, in case that is relevant.

I found a large hard/ dried (yet waxy) dislodged one of these 'shrooms' about a month ago and couldn't quite tell what it was. Found this bunch growing today, now I know. These were very hard/ rubbery/ waxy even while growing, attached to woodchips by a mycelial clump, no stalk, no 'bulb' at root. Covered quite a few square metres, growing singly or in little clumps of 2 or 3, about a foot apart or so. The larger ones were 3 to 4 cm across, the one I found a month ago (almost certainly the same species) was bigger, about 5cm across. Wierd little guys!

Then this freakster... at first I thought it was a degraded polystyrine ball or sommat... found dislodged just sitting (calmly) on top of woodchips. It was bone dry and very light when found, and appears to be a 'crystalised' version of what was once moist and possibly spongy, definately porous. Is it some kinda' polypore ? I'll make a few sections tomozza and add some snaps of those to this post. I've seen similar things but smaller near another local waterway... Colour is a tan to yellow, height about 3.50 cm, length about 5.25 estimated by the ciggie packet shot. I'll post more precise measurements once I've sectiond it/ measured it properly. Any thoughts appreciated...

--------------------
Peace, love and organic brown rice...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesuboriginal
enthusiast

Re: ID request for odd Melbourne 'shrooms'... [Re: suboriginal]
    #2832548 - 06/27/04 07:15 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I should also mention that the top left pic does not reflect the precise location I found the 'shroom', it was actually about 3 metres from there almost under the feet of a bunch of people standing around talking... I casually sauntered up, politely said excuse me, and reached down and grabbed from the ground what they probably thought was a dog-turd. Then I moved about 3 metres across the hill, to get out of their personal space like, and repositioned my 'dog-turd' for a few quick shots.
Of course they thought I was quite mad.
Of course I didnae' give a rats arse and kinda enjoyed the challenge.
Anyways, as I say it was completely detached from the ground when I found it, and probably blew there from close-by (it was as light 'for volume' as polystyrene)

--------------------
Peace, love and organic brown rice...

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
    #2832858 - 06/27/04 11:07 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Cup mushrooms are cool.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2832919 - 06/27/04 11:37 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Cup fungi like those are really tough to identify. In my experience the most common genus is Peziza, but there are several others they could be, such as Discina, Helvella, Rhizina, or Disciotis. Identifying them even to genus is difficult.

There is a group working on using DNA to work out the relationships between all of these guys, but I have no idea how long it will be until they publish their results. Dr Nancy Weber said (at a talk I attended) that a lot of these guys will be moving to different genera.

None of them should be eaten, except for Tree Ears (Auricularia).

Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification