Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Robbing Iraq
    #2832523 - 06/27/04 06:12 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1247741,00.html

The multibillion robbery the US calls reconstruction

The shameless corporate feeding frenzy in Iraq is fuelling the resistance

In the run-up to the June 30 underhand (sorry, I can't bring myself to call it a "handover"), US occupation powers have been unabashed in their efforts to steal money that is supposed to aid a war-ravaged people. The state department has taken $184m earmarked for drinking water projects and moved it to the budget for the lavish new US embassy in Saddam Hussein's former palace. Short of $1bn for the embassy, Richard Armitage, the deputy secretary of state, said he might have to "rob from Peter in my fiefdom to pay Paul". In fact, he is robbing Iraq's people, who, according to a recent study by the consumer group Public Citizen, are facing "massive outbreaks of cholera, diarrhoea, nausea and kidney stones" from drinking contaminated water.

If the occupation chief Paul Bremer and his staff were capable of embarrassment, they might be a little sheepish about having spent only $3.2bn of the $18.4bn Congress allotted - the reason the reconstruction is so disastrously behind schedule. At first, Bremer said the money would be spent by the time Iraq was sovereign, but apparently someone had a better idea: parcel it out over five years so Ambassador John Negroponte can use it as leverage. With $15bn outstanding, how likely are Iraq's politicians to refuse US demands for military bases and economic "reforms"?

The contractors have responded by behaving even more like an invading army, building elaborate fortresses in the green zone - the walled-in city within a city that houses the occupation authority in Baghdad - and surrounding themselves with mercenaries. And being hated is expensive. According to the latest estimates, security costs are eating up 25% of reconstruction contracts - money not being spent on hospitals, water-treatment plants or telephone exchanges.

Meanwhile, insurance brokers selling sudden-death policies to contractors in Iraq have doubled their premiums, with insurance costs reaching 30% of payroll. That means many companies are spending half their budgets arming and insuring themselves against the people they are supposedly in Iraq to help. And, according to Charles Adwan of Transparency International, quoted on US National Public Radio's Marketplace programme, "at least 20% of US spending in Iraq is lost to corruption". How much is actually left over for reconstruction? Don't do the maths.

Rather than models of speed and efficiency, the contractors look more like overcharging, underperforming, lumbering beasts, barely able to move for fear of the hatred they have helped generate. The problem goes well beyond the latest reports of Halliburton drivers abandoning $85,000 trucks on the road because they don't carry spare tyres. Private contractors are also accused of playing leadership roles in the torture of prisoners at Abu Ghraib. A landmark class-action lawsuit filed by the Centre for Constitutional Rights alleges that Titan Corporation and CACI International conspired to "humiliate, torture and abuse persons" in order to increase demand for their "interrogation services".

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMeat_Log_Smurf
FumbDuck

Loc: BFE
Re: Robbing Iraq [Re: Xlea321]
    #2841490 - 06/29/04 11:34 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Good Lord I already told you I stole the fucking money and I am not giving it back!

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
    #2841543 - 06/29/04 11:50 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Ugh.  That's... :mad:
..just plain...  :cuss:

:projectile:

I hate to think of all the hatred towards north america and western society in general this is generating there.  What a wonderful investment this war has proven to be for the War on Terrorism.  Gotta make sure there's gonna be a future for the industry, after all!

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

Anonymous

#2841584 - 06/30/04 12:01 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Robbing Iraq

The multibillion robbery the US calls reconstruction

US occupation powers have been unabashed in their efforts to steal money that is supposed to aid a war-ravaged people.

strange. i didn't read anything about theft from the iraqi people anywhere in the article. are we talking about actual theft from the iraqis, or the US government's misallocation of the US government's funds?

Edited by Anonymous (06/30/04 12:10 AM)

Anonymous

Re: Robbing Iraq [Re: Panoramix]
    #2841621 - 06/30/04 12:09 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I hate to think of all the hatred towards north america and western society in general this is generating there.

that's what the guardian's for.  :wink:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion