Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethelittlenemo
Stranger
terrarium innovation? ...nah, probably not
    #2831478 - 06/26/04 06:13 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

so as a first time, um, mushroom microscoper, i've been slowly building my terrarium while the jars are hanging out on my shelf growing mycelium. since i have more time than money on my hands, i read loads of teks and guides and stuff, trying to figure out the best terrarium for me. i won't go into all the details (nobody really wants to hear that), but the one change that i'll mention was in throwing out the humidifier. i was resolved to build a pretty automatic terrarium, so according to most guides, i'd need a humidifier.

i messed around with a humidifier for awhile and never got it to work like i wanted. eventually, i found a fish tank heater sitting around my house. now i know a lot of people wind up using fish tank heaters. but what i hadn't heard anyone talk about was using one to control both the heat and the humidity. of course it'll make heat, but with evaporating water, it'll also produce humidity.

granted, the trick here is in adjusting the heat without changing the humidity. that might be kind of hard. but i was lucky enough to find some sort of weird humidistat at a thrift store that will shut off the heater when the terrarium gets to a certian humidity. currently, by playing with the humidistat and then playing with the thermostat on the heater, i've been able to get a wide range of different temps and RH. in fact, it's been sitting at 76 degrees/95% humidity for the last week. anyway...i'm sure this has been done tons in the past. still, i'm a little surprised i don't hear more guides suggesting it. i just found another heater at a thrift store today, so i'm thinking of making another terrarium. does anyone see any problems with this approach? anyone else try it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesublimesubmind
enthusiast
Re: terrarium innovation? ...nah, probably not [Re: thelittlenemo]
    #2831536 - 06/26/04 06:43 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

what was so tough about a humidifier? i use ultrasonic with great results...

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: terrarium innovation? ...nah, probably not [Re: sublimesubmind]
    #2831623 - 06/26/04 07:28 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

i think thats a clever idea... ive never heard anyone bring it up before.

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
Re: terrarium innovation? ...nah, probably not [Re: Todcasil]
    #2831683 - 06/26/04 08:03 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I read someone here a couple months ago who built a very nice automated terrarium using a humidistat. It was perfect but I remember that he said the humidistat was very expansive. You were able to find a cheap one?

I also use a heater in a rubbermaid of water to humidify the greenhouse. Air exchange is made by a cheap evaporative cool mist humidifier on a timer. The cool mist alone wasn't giving more than 75% RH.

I don't really bother about temps. Now it's summer time and temp stays around 80-84F in the terrarium. Still work fine. During winter tho, the heater helps keeping temps at 75F.

good luck!

.fs.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies