Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
The rest of your life
    #2830443 - 06/26/04 12:47 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

questions, comments?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Re: The rest of your life [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2830448 - 06/26/04 12:56 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

You've seen the romantic comedies.. money isn't better than love.. you've seen drunk and sentimental middle-aged people exclaim concerning their early to mid-twenties "Those were the best days of my life!" You've seen people get mortgages, car payments, ungrateful children and unfaithful partners and then work their lives away at jobs they hate to support their "life."

So, we've seen all this, we've read between the lines of every advertisement (in case you haven't it says WORK SUCKS! JOBS SUCK!). So what are you going to do about it? People are medicating themselves, vaccinating their minds against the lives they've chosen.. that could be you pretty soon! So what are you gonna do? Do you have the strength it takes to dissapoint your parents, alienate your aunts and uncles, and move ahead to some kind of alternative to the life we all know we don't want?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2830455 - 06/26/04 12:59 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I bought a new Swedish foam mattress and am now having the "rest of my life".

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Re: The rest of your life [Re: Swami]
    #2830463 - 06/26/04 01:06 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

that's awesome

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
    #2830468 - 06/26/04 01:09 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

intersting thread.

i think the media wants to make us think that jobs suck to avoid the real issue, which is money. money sucks. what the hell is money anyways? it is a note that person A gives person B to give to person C to give to you. you then take that note that says "government has authorized you to have credits for spending" and guy spend it on things, but the catch is most of the credits go directly back to person A or the government through taxes. so the people who decided money was the good idea have made men working for something that everbody believes theres value to, but really has no value at all. it is not a service. it could never be a service or a produce for consumption. it will always be a payment, trading hands for imaginary reasons, that everbody believes in. life has turned into this huge video game, where youre supposed to get the high score. the lowest scoring people are labeled beggers or bums and are scorned. the middle scoring people fade into oblivion because nobody but other middle scoring people will notice them anyways. the high scorers everybody knows, unless they keep reaal quiet like, so nobody can find them and disrupt their game.

i am rambling. but this is my perspective. also, it seems that the only way to free yourself of this crappy real time version of monopoly is to be a bum or move to the wilderness, which both are extremely difficult to do because "bums are bad, lazy and unclean, and thats not acceptable by the rules of monopoly" or the wilderness is alreay "owned" by somebody, just waiting to find some way to play the game with it.

fuck.

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: The rest of your life [Re: Swami]
    #2830475 - 06/26/04 01:11 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Get a job you enjoy. If you need education for that job then get it!! Challenge yourself. I was a security guard for 15 years and I hated it. So, I went back to school and got a degree in computer programming which was where my true interests lie. Now, I enjoy my work. I get paid to play with computers all day which is what I would do anyway. Because I work for a school system I get paid to NOT work all summer. Your life is only what you make of it. If it sucks it is because you made it suck, and there is no excuse for that. I hear people say they don't have time to get the training they need, but thats a lame excuse. Where there is a will there is a way, but there has got to be a will. Just deciding to "turn on, tune in, and drop out" is just a cop out. it takes no motivation to be My life keeps getting better the more I realize that it is all on me.

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Re: The rest of your life [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #2830495 - 06/26/04 01:21 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

thats how the middle class/upper middle class plays monopoly.

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

#2830511 - 06/26/04 01:25 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Get a job you enjoy.
See.. no.. cause.. the things I love, my true passions, are not something that make any money unless I sell them out. And this is not a thread about how I hate my job. I love my job. I'm "poor" but I'm actually "rich" and I only work for about 3 months a year to support myself. The rest is spent doing things that don't make me money but enrich my life, and you can't tell me that working 9-5 5 days a week 50 weeks a year can ever match that no matter how much I "enjoy" my job.

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

#2830523 - 06/26/04 01:30 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

And furthermore:

8 hours a day.. imagine if you spent all that time perfecting your skill.. what if you painted 8 hours a day for 30 years instead of working at a mediocre job. You work your job, what have you got? Some money, some things you don't need, you raised some brats, but imagine if you took that time and put it towards perfecting your skill or refining your self.. Imagine what you'd have after a few years, or a lifetime.. Imagine what you could accomplish.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#2830534 - 06/26/04 01:33 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

"the things I love, my true passions, are not something that make any money unless I sell them out"

There is no such thing as a "sell out", that is an immature cop out. Doing what you are good at for a living is the way our lives are meant to be conducted...unless your skills are smelling flowers, appreciating art, listening to music, or tripping; in that case we all do that; those are not skills. When I am at work I make money playing and I make a good living. I am not poor financially or otherwise. If this thread is not about how to conduct one's life what is it about then...how to stay stoned and still eat...come on...

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

#2830540 - 06/26/04 01:36 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

mimmatosis, youre thinking like i am thinking!

i can paid for being a meteorologist, but all i really want to do is watch the sky.

i can get paid for writing books about mushrooms, but all i really wanna do is go look at em, eat a couple.

i can paid for having sex (maybe :wink:) but all i wanna do is just make love.

i could go on.

peace

--------------------
GODDESSES
GODS.

~Casil

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#2830582 - 06/26/04 01:48 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

"And furthermore:"

Grow up.

"you raised some brats"

Don't make statements about things like raising other human beings to adulthood..that is the single most sacred act a human can engage themselves in. To bring other people in to the world and see them become smart, concientious people is awesome. You can't perfect yourself without being challenged. Putting your skills to use in the real world is that challenge. I've been poor before. I've been poor, and that is nowhere. I do what I want, buy what I want, and live in the fashion I desire. I don't call hanging around gettin high perfecting myself.

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

#2830661 - 06/26/04 02:00 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

No, it's not an immature copout, it's a real threat to the things you love doing. Take taijiquan. There are all kinds of low-level people out there teaching because in the west that's what you do.. you take something you love and turn it into something to make money from. To maintain a taiji school, the instructor has to do what he can to maintain his student base. I see this manifest in creating a kind of cult, or maybe the teacher will persuade the students not to study with other people, and the teacher will certainly not promote better instructors to his students if this cuts into his profits. In this process the art is "sold-out" and the result is the current condition of taijiquan. Once considered to be one of the greatest martial arts in China, now the boring health excercises taught to drooling, senile invalids at old folks homes.

That's selling out.. so much for "immature cop-out"

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #2830675 - 06/26/04 02:02 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

A pig. In a cage. On antibiotics.

--------------------

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

#2830709 - 06/26/04 02:08 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

that is the single most sacred act a human can engage themselves in.
Well, this is interesting because though I kind of agree that it's pretty neat, but my problem is that I see this destroy so many people. It's the easy way to find meaning. Not that it's not difficult and an admirable feat to raise children, but it's the well-travelled path to filling your life with meaning and I've decided that I don't want to follow in the footsteps of... everyone, because in the long term I don't see the parents really benefiting from the raising of children, I see them turn grumpy, serious, uptight, medicated and alchoholic. When I hear grandpa at the table say "family, this is what it's all about." and make a toast I feel like "ugh.. there's something greater out there I know it!"

I don't call hanging around gettin high perfecting myself.
Retract this statement or point out where someone claimed sitting around getting high was self-perfection. I believe I implied that self-perfection involved dedication to skill development. It's so easy for us to dedicate 8 hours a day to a crappy job, why don't we develop ourselves for 8 hours every day instead? I suggest that we overcome sitting around through intense discipline and we make something of our lives. We're all gonna be middle-aged someday, wouldn't you rather have something by the time you hit that mark?

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

#2830730 - 06/26/04 02:14 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I've been poor, and that is nowhere.
In my paradigm, there are two ways to get rich: Lower your standards and entertain yourself for free or tiny amounts of money by hanging out with friends, making art, training, and cooking. Or, you could work ALL THE TIME and make a ton of money and be equally or (more likely) less happy. The choice is yours! More money + more expenses or less money + less expenses + lots of free time to pursure things you love.

So are you gonna get a job with no flexibility working for someone else or are you gonna give 'er and do things for yourself?? HUH??

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #2830789 - 06/26/04 02:29 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Let us into your secret then? How do you survive without working most of the time? How do you buy food, a roof over your head etc? Why do all the very poor people I see seem desperately unhappy?

Please, I'm looking for ideas here.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#2830935 - 06/26/04 03:19 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not rich either, but I do well enough. So, guys like you that don't work end up living off of those who do. Real sense of community there. You obviously have this art form called life mastered. So I agree with Revelation. What is the secret oh wise stoner.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2831074 - 06/26/04 04:17 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
I'm not rich either, but I do well enough. So, guys like you that don't work end up living off of those who do. Real sense of community there. You obviously have this art form called life mastered. So I agree with Revelation. What is the secret oh wise stoner.

I'd suggest picking up some reading comprehension skills. Nowhere did he mention that he smoked marijuana, and nowhere did he say he didn't work, and that he was receiving money from some sort of government program. As he said here:

Quote:

Mixomatosis said:
I'm "poor" but I'm actually "rich" and I only work for about 3 months a year to support myself. The rest is spent doing things that don't make me money but enrich my life...

It sounds to me he has really found a good plan. I'd imagine he doesn't spend his money from those three months on frivolous shit, and earns just enough to support his basic needs the rest of the year. I wouldn't know the details, but maybe he can fill us in on that...

In the meantime, I'm not going to jump the gun and waste my time on making stupid assumptions. :lol:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: The rest of your life [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2831115 - 06/26/04 04:37 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Why don't you check your reading comprehension. Just read previous posts and you will see. I think this would be a fair assumption about smoking dope considering where I am any how. I am not naive. There is no way to live without working unless you live off of others. I also do not admire someone who has so little ambition as to only be a productive human being part time. I asked him for his plan, but so far all I see is the basic loser, lazy, stoner mentality. All this counter culture "we got to start a revolution and show everyone the right way to live" is immature. Just like he thinks raising children is frivolous bullshit is immature. His second post stated a very negative viewpoint that I disputed. I see the way your putting it...we should never disagree and tell each other how great we are, ballooning our egos instead of having meaningful discussion. O.K. if that is what you want here goes:
Oh dude your opinion is so righteous. Yeah, man, working is for losers and the whole world sucks.

Edited by Huehuecoyotl (06/26/04 04:49 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology