Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePhishgrrl
Walking in thetall trees...
 User Gallery

Farenheit 911- GO SEE IT!
    #2830089 - 06/26/04 10:29 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

This movie is SUCH a must see. VERY VERY important. I am going to tell everyone I know to see it. I think the most important thing we can do for our country right now is to be educated about what has happened, and what is happening. Just knowing these things, and spreading the info is power.

Even if you already know what happened, this is put together in such a way as to sink it in- and get some of the brainwashing out of your system.

There are some that say the info is skewed- to you I say- "Go see it and report back". Because most of this info is taken right from the senate and house floor, or the news, and people right up there that know what is going on in this godforsaken country.

I LOVE my country, (and every other country as well) and hate to see it being raped and taken advantage of in every way by big money and Bush.

Please see this movie, and pass it on.

:heart:

--------------------
Once in awhile you can get shown the light

In the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecoralrives
Adventurer

Re: Farenheit 911- GO SEE IT! [Re: Phishgrrl]
    #2830095 - 06/26/04 10:32 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Phishgrrl said:

Even if you already know what happened, this is put together in such a way as to sink it in- and get some of the brainwashing out of your system.

:heart:

Or get some into your system....

--------------------
"Be good and you will be lonesome."
Mark Twain

Grow Log

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #2830114 - 06/26/04 10:39 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Can't wait to see it. It's going to be great. What was your favorite part?

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: Park Avenue Playground - The Trip

OfflinePhishgrrl
 User Gallery

Re: Farenheit 911- GO SEE IT! [Re: coralrives]
    #2830115 - 06/26/04 10:39 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Not at all, dude. It opens your eyes to the truth of what is happening.

--------------------

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan Flag
    #2830123 - 06/26/04 10:42 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

"Or get some into your system...."

i bet that assumption was brainwashed into ya :smile:

OfflinePhishgrrl
 User Gallery

Re: Farenheit 911- GO SEE IT! [Re: Learyfan]
    #2830126 - 06/26/04 10:45 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I love your cache of pictures. My favorite part? The whole fucking thing! It was heartwrenching to see the footage from Iraq.

If one person has to go through what those families are going through for big Oil and big Money, I will never fully enjoy my cushy american life. I wouldn't wish that shit on my worst enemy.

Greed has sucked the souls out of these money people and made them a vacuum for sucking the happiness out of the innocent. ARGH!!!!

--------------------

Offlineiloveraving
Fighting themachine...

Loc: ..long road ahead..
    #2830134 - 06/26/04 10:47 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

That just came out in the theaters rite? Hmm maybe I'll go see it tonight.

I just need a date  :smirk:

--------------------
Daisy Wedding Favors

OfflinePhishgrrl
 User Gallery

Re: Farenheit 911- GO SEE IT! [Re: iloveraving]
    #2830146 - 06/26/04 10:54 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Yup, just came out. Take anyone who will go with you for your date. :smile:

--------------------

Offlineiloveraving
Fighting themachine...

#2830162 - 06/26/04 11:03 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I have someone in mind.

She's hot  :grin:

--------------------
Daisy Wedding Favors

Offlinecoralrives
Adventurer

Re: Farenheit 911- GO SEE IT! [Re: Mitchnast]
    #2830163 - 06/26/04 11:04 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I wonder if your heart would be wrenched from seeing the hundred of thousands of Iraqis killed by their own leader? ( And from what little I know about you Phishgirl, I know it would) Guys, I'm no cool-aid drinking republican, but this movie is a thinly veiled attempt at the WHOLE TRUTH. Why is it you take Moore's truth as the whole truth? Sure, go see it, (pay for another movie tho...:)) and keep a REAL OPEN MIND about what Moore is really trying to accomplish. Do you really think he's not concerned about making money on this film? Was it REALLY an altruistic attempt to educate the masses? Isn't it sad that people need to be spoon-fed their information in this way? I do love being here, and have loved learning much from a lot of you and don't wanna start a flame war, but its getting kinda deep in the pub IMHO.

--------------------
Mark Twain

Grow Log

Edited by coralrives (06/26/04 11:05 AM)

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
    #2830173 - 06/26/04 11:09 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Offlineiloveraving
Fighting themachine...

#2830188 - 06/26/04 11:16 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

its just a movie man...
Of course nothing they put in the theaters is gonna be the full truth. I doubt they could fit all of whats really going on into a 2 hour film. I really dont know whats going on, I dont watch the news cause I assume most of it is BS. All I know is, I doubt we'd be in this mess if clinton was still president.

Anyways, its just a movie and its just another perspective on things. You dont like his perspective maybe you should make your own movie. I'll sit down and watch it.

Its just another perspective to see just like the news, and all the weird conspiracy freaks on the internet. I am really trying to figure out what's going on..

This whole fiasco has my community  torn apart. I live in a town that has a express train running rite into manhatten. All I know is, the locals here have been anticipating this movie. 2 people on my block have died because of this.. whatever it is. One was in the WTC, the other was someone I used to go to school with and have smoked with a few years ago. He made the mistake of joining the air force to 'better his life' in his words. Little did he know he would lose his life on christmas day in a desert.

Its just seeing it through different eyes. Now chill, there's no flames in the pub. You'll have to go to OTD  :crazy:

--------------------
Daisy Wedding Favors

OfflinePhishgrrl
 User Gallery

#2830194 - 06/26/04 11:18 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

coralrives said:
I wonder if your heart would be wrenched from seeing the hundred of thousands of Iraqis killed by their own leader? ( And from what little I know about you Phishgirl, I know it would)  Guys, I'm no cool-aid drinking republican, but this movie is a thinly veiled attempt at the WHOLE TRUTH.  Why is it you take Moore's truth as the whole truth?  Sure, go see it, (pay for another movie tho...:)) and keep a REAL OPEN MIND about what Moore is really trying to accomplish.  Do you really think he's not concerned about making money on this film?  Was it REALLY an altruistic attempt to educate the masses?  Isn't it sad that people need to be spoon-fed their information in this way?  I do love being here, and have loved learning much from a lot of you  and don't wanna start a flame war, but its getting kinda deep in the pub IMHO.

Dude, our lives are infiltrated by the mass media version of the "whole story" every day. Of course Moore is dedicating his whole life pretty much to show the other side that RARELY gets heard. You will hear plenty of republican right-wing stuff in this movie, don't worry.  It just might sound a little bit different to you. LOL you are in for a treat. Just try to keep an open mind.

What Saddam Hussein did has nothing to do with why we went to war on his country. :lol: You need to see this movie. Of course Moore will make money on it, I hope he makes plenty so he can keep writing books and making movies to educate people. If you look at him you will see that he cares VERY MUCH about his country, his people and the world. He is a very altruistic human being.  I love him.

--------------------

OfflinePhishgrrl
 User Gallery

Re: Farenheit 911- GO SEE IT! [Re: iloveraving]
    #2830202 - 06/26/04 11:20 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

iloveraving said:
I have someone in mind.

She's hot  :grin:

Just call her up and ask her then! :smile:

--------------------

Offlineiloveraving
Fighting themachine...

#2830209 - 06/26/04 11:22 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

ohh ummm, her sheer hotness gives me anxiety and goosebumps. I have a crush  :heart:

but ummmm... oh man. I guess I should give it a try. ::deep breath::

:crazy:

--------------------
Daisy Wedding Favors

Offlinecoralrives
Adventurer

#2830240 - 06/26/04 11:32 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Phishgrrl said:
Dude, our lives are infiltrated by the mass media version of the "whole story" every day. Of course Moore is dedicating his whole life pretty much to show the other side that RARELY gets heard. You will hear plenty of republican right-wing stuff in this movie, don't worry.  It just might sound a little bit different to you. LOL you are in for a treat. Just try to keep an open mind.

What Saddam Hussein did has nothing to do with why we went to war on his country. :lol: You need to see this movie. Of course Moore will make money on it, I hope he makes plenty so he can keep writing books and making movies to educate people. If you look at him you will see that he cares VERY MUCH about his country, his people and the world. He is a very altruistic human being.  I love him.

RARELY GETS HEARD?  Bush is bashed in the media every damn day!!  So your telling me CNN gives the right wing view, NBC?  CBS???  I don't think so.  FOX is the only news channel I know of that has a right slant.  Dan Rather, now there is a true journalist, LOL!!! 
I realize that we went to war in Iraq for reasons other than Saddam's killing his own people, I'm not nieve, or dumb.  I know we tried to draw the conection between Alqaida and Iraq.  I also know that Iraq will truly be better off than they were with Saddam in charge.  We are there now, we are about tho pass on the control to a native power, Bush is getting support as we speak from other countries to help build Iraq up and boost the new government. 
All I'm saying is, DO NOT take Moore's word as the gospel, it is not.  He hates, HATES Bush, he actually spends energy HATING someone.  Phishgrrl, do YOU HATE anyone?  I doubt it.  Why?  Because YOU know its wrong to spend energy on hate. (an assumption, please forgive). Nuff said from me.
Peace guys, I love you all. :heartpump: :heartpump: :heartpump:

--------------------
Mark Twain

Grow Log

Offlineiloveraving
Fighting themachine...

#2830260 - 06/26/04 11:41 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I dont hate bush, but I hate some of his decisions he makes, as the leader of the 'free' world. Him being president is what made me register to vote this year.

And at some festival I got a sticker that says "bush lies, who dies? end americas occupation in Iraq"

Its on my dead cd folder.

I'm not going to this movie for information. I'm going to it to see someone's view on what happened. I'm gonna have to research this guy ya'll are talking about to see if he's from the area.

I have the feeling its gonna hit close to home.

but yo, its just a movie and doesnt affect anything. well, if hes a bush hater, I hope it affects his votes this year. Sorry.

Much love coral :heart:

--------------------
Daisy Wedding Favors

Edited by iloveraving (06/26/04 11:42 AM)

InvisibleDelyrium
lemonadeh.o.n.e.y.

Loc: vermont
    #2830265 - 06/26/04 11:43 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

let's just say - if you believe Bowling for Columbine was true... then you're an idiot.

Michael Moore does bring up good topics and stuff however he isn't 100% correct and WILL over-do these things inorder to make it a MOVIE.

He won an award for Bowling for Columbine as a DOCUMENTARY when infact, it was NOT.

I do like some of Michael Moore's work but if this is going to "open your eyes" then you need to do some of your own research and not go through Moore's because he has a very biased research result - and when you are so against something, you will find EVERYTHING that justifies your hate.

--------------------
Fuck Ted Nugent he?s a fucking jerk
I wish that he?d be gone
Chauvanistic republican
Kills animals cause he
Forgot how to write a song

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #2830304 - 06/26/04 11:58 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Christopher Hitchens (a card-carrying Libbie from way back) had the opposite reaction to yours.

Here are just a few excerpts from his review at http://politics.slate.msn.com/id/2102723/ . There is much more detail at the link. I suggest anyone thinking of spending seven hard-earned after tax dollars on Moore's distortions and opinions take the few minutes required to read the entire review.

To describe this film as dishonest and demagogic would almost be to promote those terms to the level of respectability. To describe this film as a piece of crap would be to run the risk of a discourse that would never again rise above the excremental. To describe it as an exercise in facile crowd-pleasing would be too obvious. Fahrenheit 9/11 is a sinister exercise in moral frivolity, crudely disguised as an exercise in seriousness. It is also a spectacle of abject political cowardice masking itself as a demonstration of "dissenting" bavery.

and

He prefers leaden sarcasm to irony and, indeed, may not appreciate the distinction. In a long and paranoid (and tedious) section at the opening of the film, he makes heavy innuendoes about the flights that took members of the Bin Laden family out of the country after Sept. 11. I banged on about this myself at the time and wrote a Nation column drawing attention to the groveling Larry King interview with the insufferable Prince Bandar, which Moore excerpts. However, recent developments have not been kind to our Mike. In the interval between Moore's triumph at Cannes and the release of the film in the United States, the 9/11 commission has found nothing to complain of in the timing or arrangement of the flights. And Richard Clarke, Bush's former chief of counterterrorism, has come forward to say that he, and he alone, took the responsibility for authorizing those Saudi departures. This might not matter so much to the ethos of Fahrenheit 9/11, except that?as you might expect?Clarke is presented throughout as the brow-furrowed ethical hero of the entire post-9/11 moment. And it does not seem very likely that, in his open admission about the Bin Laden family evacuation, Clarke is taking a fall, or a spear in the chest, for the Bush administration. So, that's another bust for this windy and bloated cinematic "key to all mythologies."

and

A film that bases itself on a big lie and a big misrepresentation can only sustain itself by a dizzying succession of smaller falsehoods, beefed up by wilder and (if possible) yet more-contradictory claims.

and

I have already said that Moore's film has the staunch courage to mock Bush for his verbal infelicity. Yet it's much, much braver than that. From Fahrenheit 9/11 you can glean even more astounding and hidden disclosures, such as the capitalist nature of American society, the existence of Eisenhower's "military-industrial complex," and the use of "spin" in the presentation of our politicians. It's high time someone had the nerve to point this out. There's more. Poor people often volunteer to join the army, and some of them are duskier than others. Betcha didn't know that.

and

Moore has announced that he won't even appear on TV shows where he might face hostile questioning. I notice from the New York Times of June 20 that he has pompously established a rapid response team, and a fact-checking staff, and some tough lawyers, to bulwark himself against attack. He'll sue, Moore says, if anyone insults him or his pet. Some right-wing hack groups, I gather, are planning to bring pressure on their local movie theaters to drop the film. How dumb or thuggish do you have to be in order to counter one form of stupidity and cowardice with another? By all means go and see this terrible film, and take your friends, and if the fools in the audience strike up one cry, in favor of surrender or defeat, feel free to join in the conversation.

and

Some people soothingly say that one should relax about all this. It's only a movie. No biggie. It's no worse than the tomfoolery of Oliver Stone. It's kick-ass entertainment. It might even help get out "the youth vote." Yeah, well, I have myself written and presented about a dozen low-budget made-for-TV documentaries, on subjects as various as Mother Teresa and Bill Clinton and the Cyprus crisis, and I also helped produce a slightly more polished one on Henry Kissinger that was shown in movie theaters. So I know, thanks, before you tell me, that a documentary must have a "POV" or point of view and that it must also impose a narrative line. But if you leave out absolutely everything that might give your "narrative" a problem and throw in any old rubbish that might support it, and you don't even care that one bit of that rubbish flatly contradicts the next bit, and you give no chance to those who might differ, then you have betrayed your craft.

and

Perhaps vaguely aware that his movie so completely lacks gravitas, Moore concludes with a sonorous reading of some words from George Orwell. The words are taken from 1984 and consist of a third-person analysis of a hypothetical, endless, and contrived war between three superpowers. The clear intention, as clumsily excerpted like this (...) is to suggest that there is no moral distinction between the United States, the Taliban, and the Baath Party and that the war against jihad is about nothing. If Moore had studied a bit more, or at all, he could have read Orwell really saying, and in his own voice, the following:

The majority of pacifists either belong to obscure religious sects or are simply humanitarians who object to taking life and prefer not to follow their thoughts beyond that point. But there is a minority of intellectual pacifists, whose real though unacknowledged motive appears to be hatred of western democracy and admiration for totalitarianism. Pacifist propaganda usually boils down to saying that one side is as bad as the other, but if one looks closely at the writing of the younger intellectual pacifists, one finds that they do not by any means express impartial disapproval but are directed almost entirely against Britain and the United States ?

And that's just from Orwell's Notes on Nationalism in May 1945. A short word of advice: In general, it's highly unwise to quote Orwell if you are already way out of your depth on the question of moral equivalence. It's also incautious to remind people of Orwell if you are engaged in a sophomoric celluloid rewriting of recent history.

And this review is from Christopher Hitchens -- a Lefty from way back who recently lambasted the press for fawning over Ronald Reagan (see http://politics.slate.msn.com/id/2101842/ "The Stupidity of Ronald Reagan"), and who also to this day characterizes Henry Kissinger as the Anti-Christ. This isn't Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter reviewing the movie, folks, this is a guy who makes his living writing columns for Lefty-Libbie publications such as Vanity Fair and The Nation.

There's quite a bit more at the link for those who want a more thorough examination of just how ghastly this latest Moore film really is. By all means watch it if that's what turns your crank. Just don't expect any insight (or even many facts) from the experience.

And although the following two points have nothing directly to do with the content of this latest Moore mockumentary, they are indicative of Moore's tactics:

1) He didn't even have the courtesy to ask Ray Bradbury, the author of Fahrenheit 451, if Bradbury was okay with Moore's ripoff of the title. Bradbury is (unsurprisingly) not a happy camper. See http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040619/D83A0PJ00.html

2) His dishonesty in accepting the Academy award for his mockumentary "Bowling for Columbine" was just downright low. He deprived the makers of the real best documentary of the year of their rightful due. This is contemptible behavior. But then Moore is a contemptible being.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineHawkeye2
Resident TranceAddict

#2830333 - 06/26/04 12:11 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Ugh. I hate people who go see a movie or get some info on a subject and think they have it all down, and go around telling other people their misinformation. Do me a favor, stop promoting this movie, stop seeing it.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> The Pub