Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

Not entho, but botanical
    #2828609 - 06/25/04 04:23 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I have a ficus tree in my backyard. Its small. Something is wrong with it and I dont know how to fix it. Its in the middle of my backyard grass, and the dirt around it drops a bit so the sprinklers water and pool it there for deep watering.

I live in arizona. summer watering is usually 3 times a week 20 minutes or so.

My tree is yellowing on the leaves and some are forming black spots. It hasnt grown hardly at all.

I'm pretty sure its a nutrient issue but I dont know how to fix? If anyone knows trees well please give me some advice.

kthx!

fin!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Not entho, but botanical [Re: Barbi]
    #2828741 - 06/25/04 05:26 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

i grow tons of ficus benjamina and pumila. Their roots are quite sensative. I am guessing it is too dry. I dont let mine dry out, ever. Once they do leaves start going yellow then brown then falling. I rarely fertilize mine, i use dirt from outside so i dont think it is your problem. Although if the water is fine i would give it a shot of 20/20/20, not strong. Also be carefull not to over water, root rot is not uncommon. I always keep mine so the dirt appears dark/moist. Once teh little peaks of dirt dry out i give water.

They do LOVE sun. However, they will sun burn. If you are seeing black spots, and perhaps holes or patches missing, that may be why. Give it a somewhat screened area while small. I keep mine at the edge of the shade by my cherry trees. that way it gets lots of light, but not intense light.

When kept right my small trees (around 12-20") will grow about 2-3" inches a month. My bigger ones that i house outside during warm months dont usually grow more in height but they fill out to be BUEATIFULL bushy figs. My grandmother has a 20' edible fig in her back yard and it has been there for about 35+ years. It always forms fruit, but they dont fully ripen in our climate.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

Re: Not entho, but botanical [Re: kadakuda]
    #2828778 - 06/25/04 05:43 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Well, I cant move it now, its rooted in the ground surrounded by grass in hte backyard. Its probably about 7 feet tall or so. Ill get a pic and upload in a minute.

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#2828823 - 06/25/04 06:05 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

in that case if its not too much work for you, maybe build a fiberglass screen wall on one or two sides of it. That is an excellent shade and has woked hundreds of times for me and my friends.

--------------------

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

#2828831 - 06/25/04 06:09 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

#2828836 - 06/25/04 06:10 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

the leaves are much 'yellower' then that but the sun was hitting hard so the cam didnt adjust so well. Keep in mind the green grass there is a few inches tall at teh base as its in a well type area. Also shading it will kill my grass of ;(

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
    #2828864 - 06/25/04 06:19 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

mndfreeze, i also live in arizona.

when watering your tree try not to get any water on the leaves, because the sun will superheat it up and it will sunburn... thats what it look slike to me imho.

peace & fikus health
Casil

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

Re: Not entho, but botanical [Re: Todcasil]
    #2828889 - 06/25/04 06:29 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

yeah its defiantely burning or rot of some sort..

Im mostly concerned that the tree hasnt really grown in the last 8 months at all. And the leaves yellowing. I know with 'other' plants that can mean things like nutrient burning or nutrient deficiency..

Im also worried about over or under watering.. dont really know the symtoms to look for? I current water 3 times a week with sprinklers for 20 minutes.

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

#2828901 - 06/25/04 06:37 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

the sprinklers are probably getting it wet and helping the burn, but i guess you cant do much about that, since you need to water your grass.

normally when i over water my plants the leaves will start to yellow, but i dont think that is the problem here... if it hasnt grown then i would say a nutrient deficiency, as opposed to a nut burn. ill see if i can do a little more research here, i have some books.

peace
Casil

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Re: Not entho, but botanical [Re: Todcasil]
    #2828913 - 06/25/04 06:43 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

ok i found some info... ficus, even in desert environments only need to be watered once a week, twice tops. adn i still thin kyou need to somehow protect the ficus from getting water on it during the day... maybe water in the evening when the sun isnt so blaring.

peaceiness

--------------------
GODDESSES
GODS.

~Casil

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#2829531 - 06/26/04 12:25 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

dude that is a nice fucking fig! I dont think its water or nutrient, definatly the sun. If it was nutes or water you would have a hell of a lot more yellow leaves! As for growing im gonna have to say acclimation. cant think of anything else. Most trees i plant clos eto that size take 1-3 years to take, then they fucking rip to the sun.

--------------------

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

#2829675 - 06/26/04 01:31 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

ok well ill try changing my watering cycle to only water maybe 2 time a week but for a lot longer to get some deep watering in there. I cant go once a week beacuse then the grass will die.

Thanks!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale