Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Question - Moore + Journalism
    #2824585 - 06/24/04 02:55 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Many of you believe Michael Moore is a filthy liar out to fill his pockets by creating alot of sensation w/ misleading stories.

Now, how is this any different from the media and what it does?

I'm open to hear why, but as it stands, I see that Moore takes a collection of videos and facts and weaves an interesting story out of them while injecting an opinion, exactly as a journalist would do. Why is he worse than a journalist?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBleaK
paradox
Re: Question - Moore + Journalism [Re: vampirism]
    #2824605 - 06/24/04 03:00 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

theyre both chasing money

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #2824645 - 06/24/04 03:18 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Because it's not ok when the left does it.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

InvisibleDieCommie

#2824766 - 06/24/04 04:01 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Morrowind said:
Now, how is this any different from the media and what it does?

It isnt. In my opinion there are lots of journalist with different agendas....every journalist has an agenda. While most are fairly moderate in pushing and weaving there agenda into a story, characters like Moore and Rush lay on there political agenda real thick.

I dont think its particularly wrong when either side sensationalizes a story, but i do know to take it with a grain of salt, especially if it is from an extremist like Moore or Rush.

Anonymous

#2824778 - 06/24/04 04:08 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

there is a little difference between bias and dishonesty. michael moore doesn't merely distort through exageration or ommision, but actually lies. he actually presents as true things which are not.

Edited by mushmaster (06/24/04 08:14 PM)

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Question - Moore + Journalism [Re: DieCommie]
    #2824780 - 06/24/04 04:09 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

so if this guys veiws are so opinionated and to some people wrong, why is it that we have such string opinions either way? I would eb willing to bet not many people do any real research of their own. they reasd the paper listne to bush and reporters on tv, hear debates and form their veiws from that.

People with the strongest opinions ofter are also the people who are most ignorant.

anyway, maybe people should look at what hes says and do some research of their own before knocking him. After all the country is so free, it should not be hard finding out their regulations and agendas right? Look into the freedom act. it also affects canadians (bc specifically) as our douche bag premier has sold certain things to US comapnies witch under US law now allows them to get far too much info without us knowing or being able to do anything about it. And its legal!

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: Question - Moore + Journalism [Re: kadakuda]
    #2824972 - 06/24/04 05:35 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

kadakuda said:
so if this guys veiws are so opinionated and to some people wrong, why is it that we have such string opinions either way? I would eb willing to bet not many people do any real research of their own. they reasd the paper listne to bush and reporters on tv, hear debates and form their veiws from that.

People with the strongest opinions ofter are also the people who are most ignorant.

anyway, maybe people should look at what hes says and do some research of their own before knocking him. After all the country is so free, it should not be hard finding out their regulations and agendas right? Look into the freedom act. it also affects canadians (bc specifically) as our douche bag premier has sold certain things to US comapnies witch under US law now allows them to get far too much info without us knowing or being able to do anything about it. And its legal!

You are only assuming people have not done research on the topic and that they don't know what they are talking about.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #2825208 - 06/24/04 07:13 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

What Moore does is no worse than what Oliver Stone does -- except that Moore presents his works as factual while Stone never does. Stone doesn't pretend to be indulging in journalism, Moore does.

Now, it is true that when pinned down on the issues, Moore grudgingly (though cheerfully) admits that he makes stuff up. But you only find that out if you dig deep into certain interviews with him. The tone of both his movies and his books is that what he delivers is unvarnished truth. The most blatant illustration of this is his acceptance of an Oscar for Best Documentary. "Bowling for Columbine" was not a documentary, and I find it contemptible that Moore would even have allowed the movie to be nominated in that category in the first place, let alone have the balls to accept the award. His acceptance of it deprived the people who did actually produce the best documentary of the year of their rightful recognition.

If you get a kick out of watching his movies or reading his books, good for you. But don't believe that what Moore is involved with is journalism, because it isn't.

pinky

--------------------

Offlineuki
fool of wisdom
Loc: the milky way
    #2825814 - 06/24/04 09:49 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

moore simply treads the path least taken. the broad path is a highway leading to destruction and many travel it. it is interesting that of all the news channels on t.v., each and every one of them talks about the same stories in the same manner, from the same point of view. it's very disturbing.

Offlineuki
fool of wisdom
Loc: the milky way
Re: Question - Moore + Journalism [Re: uki]
    #2825833 - 06/24/04 09:54 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

actually if he is such a liar, why all the attempts to discredit him? wouldn't it be easier just to ignore him and his opinions? why did he win an oscar? why did he break some opening day records? why all the energy given to try and silence him? i mean come on, it's just one guy versus the american media... why all the hype? think about it.

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

Re: Question - Moore + Journalism [Re: uki]
    #2825840 - 06/24/04 09:55 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Obstruction of truth and utter deceit are the paths least taken? I must be truly oblivious.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: Question - Moore + Journalism [Re: Ancalagon]
    #2825941 - 06/24/04 10:14 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

"You are only assuming people have not done research on the topic and that they don't know what they are talking about."

very true, i am only going by what many people say then assuming they dont know shit. But who knows what is really right? Some people just glow ignorance, or seem to. It is fairly obvious when someone really doesnt know what they are talking about and they just spurt their opinion add some nice big fancy words and sound very smart (not aimed anywhere). I use people, moore being one, as starting places for research. take what they say and do real research (ie, not media). I would beleive moore no more or no less than i would belive bush, CNN or any other mouthpeice. Everyone has their own little hidden agenda(s).

--------------------

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

#2825951 - 06/24/04 10:16 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Please CHECK WHAT YOU'RE DOING before you use quick reply. You replied to me yet addressed another post. Please correct one way or the other ASAP. Thank you.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: Question - Moore + Journalism [Re: Phred]
    #2826610 - 06/25/04 01:12 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

"Bowling for Columbine" was not a documentary

why? does political bias really negate documentary content? I saw a documentary on the Great Depression and it was obviously quite biased, but it was still a documentary - just a dumb, biased one.

when is history or journalism or documentation ever free from bias?

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: Question - Moore + Journalism [Re: Vvellum]
    #2826681 - 06/25/04 01:44 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

"Please CHECK WHAT YOU'RE DOING before you use quick reply. You replied to me yet addressed another post. Please correct one way or the other ASAP. Thank you. "

sorry i dont knwo how to direct it to any other than first/last post, it was directed to d33p. does it have somethign to do with the other option?

--------------------

InvisibleAhronZombi
AhronZombi

Re: Question - Moore + Journalism [Re: Ancalagon]
    #2826776 - 06/25/04 02:54 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Ancalagon said:
Please CHECK WHAT YOU'RE DOING before you use quick reply. You replied to me yet addressed another post. Please correct one way or the other ASAP. Thank you.

chill out its not a big deal. and PM the guy about it dont call him out in a public area

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #2826808 - 06/25/04 03:34 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Two suggestions.

1. Don't use Quick Reply. or
2. Simply put something along the lines of Re: d33p in your reply.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Edited by luvdemshrooms (06/25/04 03:35 AM)

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
Re: Question - Moore + Journalism [Re: Vvellum]
    #2826809 - 06/25/04 03:35 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

LOL, my god that is funny....

Quote:

doc?u?men?ta?ry ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dky-mnt-r)
adj.
Consisting of, concerning, or based on documents.
Presenting facts objectively without editorializing or inserting fictional matter, as in a book or film.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: Question - Moore + Journalism [Re: st0nedphucker]
    #2830817 - 06/26/04 12:37 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

LOL, you're hilarious.

That definition describes 99% of what are known as "documentaries" - it's very rare that documentaries are "objective" or without any editorials.

Spin is everywhere - get used to it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies