Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: Definition?
    #281608 - 03/29/01 02:46 PM (23 years, 23 days ago)

Species are seperated by morphological differences. Differences that can be proven. Strains tend to vary in there outward appearance, if you must have a term, they are phenotypically different. Genetics + environment = phenotype. None of the species being sold or circulated as species can be classified as being strains of the same species. A strain is a variant of the same species. To answer your other question, yes there are visible differences between one strain of a species and another. Is the difference as drastic as species to species, Absolutely NOT.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: Definition? [Re: ]
    #281670 - 03/29/01 03:24 PM (23 years, 23 days ago)

This is the way I always thought it:

specie=Psilocybe cubensis

race=ecuador, thai, b+, etc....

strain=individual sector on an agar plate of a certain race and specie.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Definition? [Re: Lizard King]
    #281764 - 03/29/01 05:25 PM (23 years, 23 days ago)

Exactly Lizard King!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

#281782 - 03/29/01 05:57 PM (23 years, 23 days ago)

Let me make this as easy as possible Cornbread. All I'm really saying is for vendors to add an s to the end of the word strain. I.e Gulf coast strains, Golden Teacher strains, B+ strains, etc..... Get it!!!! A print from Golden Teacher would be sold as Golden Teacher strains. A syringe would be a syringe of Golden Teacher strains. This would lead to less confusion when someone grows out a Golden teacher and it is not up to par in it's appearance. Or someone grows out a PF and it results in a massive number of aborts, or lacks fat asses!

Anonymous

#281802 - 03/29/01 06:20 PM (23 years, 23 days ago)

Cornbread
Cubensis hate incest, they prefer to mate with other strains.

Are your wondering if some of the known species might be related?

Edited by Teonan on 03/29/01 08:30 PM.

Offlinecornbread

#281845 - 03/29/01 07:50 PM (23 years, 23 days ago)

I understand exactly what you are saying. Yes that does make alot of since saying B+ Strains eq strains. I got that just fine. I disagreed with B+ , Eq's,thais etc. all being races. I believed that they are all species.and yes I was wondering if some of the species being sold are actually strains of the same species and when I say species I mean eq,s thais B+ etc. I did not mean to make you mad. I was actually curious on other opinions that may make more since than my own.
I apolagize if I made you mad.
cornbread

OfflineEddie Walker
enthusiast

Re: Definition? [Re: Lizard King]
    #282126 - 03/30/01 08:19 AM (23 years, 22 days ago)

I wasn't really following what was being said, untill Lizard King nailed it right on the head. I would like to thank you Lizard King for a very good example. Really then the vendors shouldn't be selling strains at all but different races right?

And then everyone one who preferes one race or another is a racist. Hahahahah...?

It really sounds like a big question of semantics to me.

Spores The Hawks Eye-Supplies F.P.

Edited by Eddie Walker on 03/30/01 10:48 AM.

--------------------
Mycology Supplies[blue]Fungi Perfecti[/blue]

Offlinecornbread

#282235 - 03/30/01 11:57 AM (23 years, 22 days ago)

Thanks kast for the info. I read different ideas on either race or species. I looked it up in the dictionary about races and It says between races they can propagate . I was thinking that since cuby strains did not propagate interacially that it would be classified as a species. I stand corrected now I say cubys strains and not species. A quote from the dictionary about species: set of animals or plants, members of which have similar characteristics to each other and which can breed with each other . If psylocybe cubenis is a species then according to the dictionary they should be able to propagate between strains or races. That led me to believe that each strain or race is actually a species. In my opinion only, I think that pyslocybe cubenis is a family of species. Example: The cat family,tigers,lions,cougars etc... are a family of species Then you have the house cat Persian,calico etc... would be a race of a species and can propagate interacially. I quess it is different for mycology world. interesting stough here
Cornbread

Thanks for input
Cornbread

OfflineDystopian Harbinger
Cheech Wizard

#282271 - 03/30/01 12:23 PM (23 years, 22 days ago)

Sean_kush_123 you poser, you dont have shit to offer, your deroggatory comments are just to make you fell superior and have absolutely zero relevance.

Arent you glad they dont have 'karma' here like at overgrow because yours would be more fucked here than it is there.

--------------------
At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.
-Nietzsche

OfflineKast
old hand
Re: Definition? [Re: cornbread]
    #282322 - 03/30/01 01:28 PM (23 years, 22 days ago)

Technically, Psilocybe is the genus, and cubensis is the species. The strains, as Teonan pointed out, are determined by weather conditions and climate. And it's hard to find a good analogy for mushrooms, because they really are unique. They're not plants, they're not animals.

Offlinecornbread

Re: Definition? [Re: Kast]
    #282383 - 03/30/01 02:34 PM (23 years, 22 days ago)

I know that all you are saying is true. I had to look up genus in dictonary cause I did not know exactly what that meant. It is exactly what you said. The quote from the dictionary proves your fact. Quote: a group of animals or plants, below a family and above a species . every reference to this always associates with plants and animles. Fungi has its own unique guidelines on these terms. They have there own unique way of propagating. I still think that it sounds wierd that cubys are a species because if they was the same species they could propagate with each other according to the dictionary. I know you cant mate a B+ spore with a Eq spore. Leaving me to think that because of the fungas uniqueness and the way it propagates that it has exception to these rules.
Thanks for the input Kast
cornbread

Anonymous

#282388 - 03/30/01 02:47 PM (23 years, 22 days ago)

Yes, I grow mushrooms. Yes I have read the Mushroom Cultivator, and If you have done both of these things you would be agreeing with me not calling me names. My reason for the post is not for myself, it is to assist Newbies in the future. Multispore inoculations can result in getting strains of a spore race that are not up to par, in appearance, Yield, etc... It is hard enough for most to meet the proper environmental parameters to succesfully grow the fruits of this fungus. But to finally get everything to work and wind up with hundreds of aborts, or mushrooms not living up to the descriptions given would be very dissapointing. Call them spore races, explain to them that the mushrooms that form are only one strain out of many possible strains of that given spore race. That's all I'm saying. No more PF strain sucks!!!!! No more comments like this, GET IT!!! As far as I can tell, there are very few people on this site that actually select a strain to grow. They let chance decide on the strain they grow from this syringe.

InvisibleRussdogg
old hand

#282393 - 03/30/01 03:00 PM (23 years, 22 days ago)

Kast, Fungi are now considered plants. Who knows what them scientist will say in 10 years.

IMO Fungi are not plants, they do not have anything in common with other green plants. They have more in common with human beings.

OfflineEddie Walker
enthusiast

Re: Definition? [Re: Russdogg]
    #282415 - 03/30/01 03:51 PM (23 years, 22 days ago)

I wouldn't say they have more in common with humans. I mean they don't have blood.

Main Entry: fun?gus
Pronunciation: 'f&[ng]-g&s
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural fun?gi /'f&n-"jI, 'f&[ng]-"gI/; also fun?gus?es /'f&[ng]-g&-s&z/
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Latin
Date: 1527
: any of a major group (Fungi) of saprophytic and parasitic spore-producing organisms usually classified as plants that lack chlorophyll and include molds, rusts, mildews, smuts, mushrooms, and yeasts

Rusts? Wow didn't know that.

Have a question? Goto Grow/Find or even better Search.

--------------------
Mycology Supplies[blue]Fungi Perfecti[/blue]

Anonymous

#282596 - 03/30/01 08:24 PM (23 years, 22 days ago)

Cornbread, why is it that you think a B+ spore won't mate with any other spore race? Monokaryon to monokaryon.

Offlinecornbread

#282621 - 03/30/01 09:08 PM (23 years, 22 days ago)

teonan
hey ya friend, This has been brought up alot. I do not know personally. I have read that each kind of cuby would not mate with each other. If they did mate than this blows the whole therie that cubenis is a family instead of a species. What I am saying is that one monkaryon would not mate with another species of monkaryon. Like a haploid of EQ's would not mate with a haploid of B+

Offlineholographic mind
veteran

#282626 - 03/30/01 09:12 PM (23 years, 22 days ago)

teonan your comment that cubensis "doesn't like inbreeding" is just plain bull shit, a single print could produce an infinit number of new combinations of chromosomes.

dystopian harbfuckshit karma is the gayest shit i have ever encountered and you are probably just teonan defending your self.

Offlineholographic mind
veteran

#282632 - 03/30/01 09:17 PM (23 years, 22 days ago)

corn breed you are incorrect, cross breeding is possible but rather impractical.

Anonymous

Re: Definition? [Re: holographic mind]
    #282636 - 03/30/01 09:20 PM (23 years, 22 days ago)

Cornbread and Holographic need a basic course in genetics. Do the words tetrapolar and heterothallic mean anything to you guys. Only one quarter of P. cubensis spores will mate with the remainder of the spores from it's own print. Hence the concept " incest taboo". Go back and do your reading guy's, Remember The Mushroom Cultivator, by Paul Stametes and J.S. Chilton. This book only discusses the basics, but I'm pretty sure you will have a very difficult time finding many books on Mushroom breeding. Mushroom cultivation in the U.S.A is a relatively new endeavor here. And mushroom breeding is almost non-existent.

Offlineholographic mind
veteran

#282639 - 03/30/01 09:23 PM (23 years, 22 days ago)

you are so full of shit man, one print contains hundred of thousands if not millions of spores, it wouldn't matter if only 1/10 of those spores were compatible, they would still produce a shit load of strain which would give rise to a shit load of mushrooms which again inturn would produce billions of spores, YOU ARE A FUCKING POSER!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds