Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinePandaskis
Eating Bamboo
Male User Gallery

Is this Healthy Mycelium or contamination??
    #28235083 - 03/18/23 01:40 PM (1 year, 29 days ago)

Hi Y'all, nooby and first time grower here

I wanted some help identifying whether or not this is healthy mycelium or contamination. Since its my first time I really have no idea what healthy mycelium looks like in grain bags! The grain bag has some slight condensation on the walls which Im assuming is normal? And No sliminess as far as i can tell. Inoculated with LC 6 days ago (will do Agar in the future as per other users advice!)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLewDoja
mad $cientist, ganjacologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: A fictional tale, in fictional...
Re: Is this Healthy Mycelium or contamination?? [Re: Pandaskis]
    #28235104 - 03/18/23 01:51 PM (1 year, 29 days ago)

Kind of hard to tell. But the last pic looks like mushroom myc.

First off congratulations on your newfound addiction.
And stick around this is a great place for those who have similar interests and a yearning to learn more and more everyday.

There is a ton of info on here, some outdated and some experimental but remember there are a million ways to skin a mushroom, it's a balance to find what best works for you. 

Some additional info would be good to include in your op....
What steps you took to get to this point?
Grain prep
PC psi /length
What was lc from?
Temp after inoculation

--------------------
a wise man said:
"Bad drugs tell you, that you want more;
  Good drugs tell you, that you've had enough"

Trades pending:
if we have any pending trades or you never received anything that you were expecting send a PM with details.  I've had a lot going on, and may have overlooked something as well as USPS snafu's.

InvisibleWay
The

Loc: A long way away
Re: Is this Healthy Mycelium or contamination?? [Re: LewDoja]
    #28235114 - 03/18/23 01:58 PM (1 year, 29 days ago)

Looks like healthy mycelium so far. Post pictures after some more growth. :thumbup:

--------------------

That's the way she goes, boys. Sometimes she goes, sometimes she doesn't, cause that's the fuckin way she goes.

OfflinePandaskis
Eating Bamboo
Male User Gallery

Re: Is this Healthy Mycelium or contamination?? [Re: LewDoja]
    #28235138 - 03/18/23 02:11 PM (1 year, 29 days ago)

Hey thanks for your reply! Yes I'm super excited and researching every minute i have free haha!

I decided to purchase my grains for my first grow, as I wasn't confident in my own ability to make grains. But for my next grow I plan to buy a nice PC to make my own grains! Since buying premade is expensive.

They listed their process as "Our organic rye berries are soaked for 24 hours in gypsum water. Each bag contains 1 pound of optimally hydrated rye grain. Each bag has a self-healing injection port (SHIP) and .2 micron filter patch. Bags are then pressure cooked at 17 PSI for 2.5 hours to ensure contaminate-free grain. Finally, bags are sealed in front of a flow hood."

From the looks of it, they have hundreds of reviews with only 1 saying that their grain didnt colonize, and nothing about contamination, So im hoping im not the unlucky first one.

The LC was from a trusted sponsor/vendor on shroomery, who guaranteed no contamination, but as I have learnt, its good practice to check on Agar, since there's really no guarantee.

I inoculated the bag in a very small bathroom that I cleaned with bleach solution top to bottom, and I let it sit for 30 minutes before wiping it down. I turned off all Air for an hour before inoculating. Before inoculating, I disinfected all surfaces and surrounding area with 70% isopropyl alcohol, wiped the SHIP port with 70 isopropyl, shook up the LC syringe and flame sterilized my LC needle till red hot, waited for it to cool a few seconds, and injected 3-4cc of it in each 2lb grain bag. Flame sterilizing the needle between each injection. I then mixed the bag gently.

My grain bags have been sitting around 75-78C, regulated by a space heater in my room under blue grow lights on a 12/12 light cycle. I got a little worried after 3 days (yes patience is NOT my middle name, but Im sure ill be learning it very quickly) and mixed the bags gently since i saw some Liquid pooling on the bottom from the LC, it got redistributed but I think it probably slowed down colonization, not sure. Since then, ive really just left it alone and took a chill pill haha

Edited by Pandaskis (03/18/23 02:13 PM)

OfflinePandaskis
Eating Bamboo
Male User Gallery

Re: Is this Healthy Mycelium or contamination?? [Re: Way]
    #28235735 - 03/18/23 08:38 PM (1 year, 29 days ago)

Thanks!

OfflinePandaskis
Eating Bamboo
Male User Gallery

#28237823 - 03/20/23 09:48 AM (1 year, 27 days ago)

Hi Y'all,

Heres an update, any input is appreciated <3. 2 of them seem to be colonizing well. One of the bags is going slow and im a bit worried about contam.

1st bag

2nd bag (this is the one im worried about, seems like theres a wet spot on the bottom :frown:, can anyone put my mind at ease ;_;?)

3rd bag (seems to be doing well)

Thanks for the help everyone <3

EDIT: Forgot to ask do you think I should break and shake any of these bags? Or do you think its too soon/not needed

Edited by Pandaskis (03/20/23 09:50 AM)

Invisibledowodenum
Noob Pope
 User Gallery

Loc: 🇨🇦
    #28237847 - 03/20/23 10:07 AM (1 year, 27 days ago)

They all have some measure of bacteria, pretty common with kit bags.

I wouldn't break up any of them, keep them as they are all the way until they're done fruiting.

Shaking speeds colonization but also spreads contam - if the bacteria stays at the bottom, it won't affect the mycelium network as severely.

--------------------

🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼  🄲 🅄 🅁 🄸 🄾 🅄 🅂

OfflinePandaskis
Eating Bamboo
Male User Gallery

Re: Is this Healthy Mycelium or contamination?? [Re: dowodenum]
    #28237863 - 03/20/23 10:14 AM (1 year, 27 days ago)

Thanks!

Are they still okay to spawn to bulk with some bacteria? If so, how would i go about doing it, just the same procedure?

InvisibleWay
The

#28237915 - 03/20/23 10:47 AM (1 year, 27 days ago)

You can still spawn to bulk. It's more risky though because you are breaking up an established mycelium network. Broken up, it is more susceptible to the bacteria that is riding along in the bags. Nobody can tell you for certain whether or not it'll be worse than fruiting in the bag. Just a higher chance of it going south.

--------------------

That's the way she goes, boys. Sometimes she goes, sometimes she doesn't, cause that's the fuckin way she goes.

OfflinePandaskis
Eating Bamboo
Male User Gallery

Re: Is this Healthy Mycelium or contamination?? [Re: Way]
    #28237932 - 03/20/23 10:55 AM (1 year, 27 days ago)

Cool thanks,

Does it look bad? The people who made the grain bag seemed to have followed proper sterilization technique. A little bummed, but hoping this will be a good learning opportunity for me :smile:

OfflineBobgas
Master of Mistakes

#28237942 - 03/20/23 11:06 AM (1 year, 27 days ago)

Once the bag is almost colonized, it will be easier to tell how relatively contaminated the bag is.

You did learn something -surrendering control of what you know is a recipe for less than optimal results to downright failure.

If you want to grow more, you can try to follow PF Tek which will give you a higher success rate with minimal investment or follow the path of putting your LC on agar and making your own spawn.  Either of these paths will give you a much higher chance for success.

All that said, you might get fruits from what you have and if so, I'd consider learning how to clone to agar.

--------------------
🅃🄴🄰🄼  🄲🄻🄸🄽 🄶🅆🅁🄰🄿

InvisibleWay
The

#28237945 - 03/20/23 11:08 AM (1 year, 27 days ago)

Not as bad as some of the stuff on here. It's mostly the uncolognized grains pressed against the bag for me. Could be a lot worse. Remains to be seen.how it looks when fully colonized though.

Here is a good checklist.

--------------------

OfflinePandaskis
Eating Bamboo
Male User Gallery

Re: Is this Healthy Mycelium or contamination?? [Re: Bobgas]
    #28237969 - 03/20/23 11:32 AM (1 year, 27 days ago)

Thanks Bobgas,

Ill post updates, fingers crossed for now. And yes, lesson definitely learnt ;_;

OfflinePandaskis
Eating Bamboo
Male User Gallery

#28239283 - 03/21/23 08:28 AM (1 year, 26 days ago)

UPDATE: DAY 9 of Colonization

Bag 1:

Bag 2: (still worried about this one...)

Bag 3:

Im holding out hope that the uncolonized grain that is kind of pressed against the bag was due to me mixing it way too early (before i even saw colonization), and that it is causing weird uneven colonization. in 2 of the bags I dont see any wetness or sliminess, on the "problem" bag i see a bit of wetness on the bottom of the bag, where the biggest mass of mycelium is growing. Only time will tell, thanks for everyone's help, ill keep posting updates :smile:

Edited by Pandaskis (03/21/23 08:30 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder