Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFungiJumping
Stranger
Growing on white rice?
    #2823587 - 06/24/04 09:20 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I wanted to do a grain tek, but I couldn't find any whole grains to sterilize, so I cooked some white rice, put it in jars lightly, put dry vermiculite on top, and sterilized it in the pressure cooker. I let them cool overnight and then innoculated them.

It's been a week. The rice has turned the color and texture of rice pudding (goopy off-white), and gives off a fungal odor which was quite strong the second day after innoculation. No noticeable changes since then. No threadlike formations or rhizomes, no solidifying. But no obvious contamination either.

Do I have shrooms in the making, or did I most likely grow myself a batch of yeast that I can now dispose of?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
Re: Growing on white rice? [Re: FungiJumping]
    #2825226 - 06/24/04 07:19 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Probably the latter.  After two days, mycelium growth would only have -just- started, if you were lucky, from a multispore innoculation.  White rice sucks as a substrate, too.  Sounds like you did everything else right, though.

Get some wild bird seed and use that.  There're your whole grains.  :smile:

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growing on white rice? [Re: FungiJumping]
    #2825310 - 06/24/04 07:39 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

The spores are soaking in starch. I have some serious doubts there gonna grow.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale