Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineiamgod
just some dudesome where

Loc: Crooklyn, New York
Some Basic Casing/Jar/Humidification Questions
    #2823497 - 06/24/04 10:05 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hey Shroomery,

Three quarts of popcorn and three quarts of rye berries are colonizing. Tyvek is being used for gas exchange, however, instead of puncturing a hole in the metal lid, the lid disc has been removed completely, and a Tyvek disc that is larger than the opening of the jar has been put in place with the screw on part of the lid. The grain seems to be drier now than when it left the PC, is it possible that moisture is being lost because the gas exchange area is so large? Also, would it be practical to inject several CC's of cooled-down, boiled water to the jars to add moisture?

The colonizing mycelium seems light and kind of whispy, not strong at all, which may be from the lack of moisture.

Now for the casing/humidification question. If there are four quart sized casings in a terrarium without much space being left over, would the moisture escaping from the casings be enough for humidification purposes for P.cubensis?

thanks in advance.

--------------------
If what you seek is truth then drugs can not offer truth. Drugs can offer the truth of drugs.......Altered states. Truth is not an altered state of mind. ~ Big Headed Nice Guy Who Loves You And Your Dog

http://www.inlibertyandfreedom.com/Flash/Think_It_Over.swf

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Some Basic Casing/Jar/Humidification Questions [Re: iamgod]
    #2823510 - 06/24/04 10:23 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

The grain seems to be drier now than when it left the PC, is it possible that moisture is being lost because the gas exchange area is so large?

Yes, that is going to be a problem for sure.

Quote:

Also, would it be practical to inject several CC's of cooled-down, boiled water to the jars to add moisture?

You may not have a choice soon.

Quote:

If there are four quart sized casings in a terrarium without much space being left over, would the moisture escaping from the casings be enough for humidification purposes for P.cubensis?

In most cases yes. In this link it shows how to use tyvek grain tek that shows lids

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlineiamgod
just some dudesome where

Re: Some Basic Casing/Jar/Humidification Questions [Re: Magash]
    #2823537 - 06/24/04 10:47 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks a ton Magash, your method for the preparation of rye was being used for the rye jars. The only thing that was not followed was the puncturing of the lid. Next time I'll have to fix up the lids the right way to eliminate the problem.

I'm going to go prepare several water syringes for re hydration of the grain. I'll post about what happens if something does happen.

--------------------
If what you seek is truth then drugs can not offer truth. Drugs can offer the truth of drugs.......Altered states. Truth is not an altered state of mind. ~ Big Headed Nice Guy Who Loves You And Your Dog

OfflineAlan
Alan
 User Gallery
Loc: Los Angeles,CA
Re: Some Basic Casing/Jar/Humidification Questions [Re: iamgod]
    #2823623 - 06/24/04 11:49 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

how long did it take before you saw growth?

Offlineiamgod
just some dudesome where

Re: Some Basic Casing/Jar/Humidification Questions [Re: Alan]
    #2824244 - 06/24/04 03:25 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

It took almost a week before I saw growth in the popcorn and the rye jars were only innoculated on the 16th, so no growth on rye yet.

I have boiled water and pulled up 10cc per syringe in 3 cleaned syringes and after they cooled down to room temp I shot up the 3 popcorn jars with them since the rye did not seem too dry upon closer inspection. I also covered the Tyvek disc area with a piece of tape to lower the gas exchange, the portion of tyvek uncovered by the tape is about the size of Magash's lid holes.

Thanks Magash, if all goes well I will update again.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation