Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebenzene

Another identify pls
    #2822659 - 06/23/04 11:05 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Taken from a woodchip pile a day or so after rain (it rains every couple of days here now!!!) In Victoria, Australia. It had two smaller ones groing very close by.
The cap is 2cm in diameter. The camera: canon,digital ps a40. The darker patches on the cap have a definate blue tint under overcast daylight, as with the stem. The stem is hollow - with s fine pith. (not really visible in the photo as flaps of skin from the stem have folded over the centre. Psilocybe Subaeruginosa?
Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Another identify pls [Re: benzene]
    #2822687 - 06/23/04 11:20 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

They sure do look to be.
be sure the blue is blue and be sure the print is purple.

have fun and happy hunting.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleDepthToTheCore
JeeBuzz
Male User Gallery
Loc: Australia brah
    #2822877 - 06/24/04 12:52 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

First of all, i'd re-do the spore print on white paper to be 110% sure of the spore colour. But in "my" opinion they do look like Psilocybe Subaeruginosa but dont take my word for it wait for someone elses approval.

Nice find

--------------------

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music." - George Carlin

Offlinebenzene

Re: Another identify pls [Re: DepthToTheCore]
    #2823179 - 06/24/04 03:34 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

The spore print does look purple brown. On paper it comes closer to looking black. Can microscopic images of the spores help identify the mushroom? Here is the spores of this mushroom. Not sure of the mag (around 500) because i modified the objectives of an old cheaper microscope that originally maxed at around 300x. Then just took a digi photo, straight down the eyepiece, hence the cruddy quality. (Surrounding shot cropped.)
Thanks.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2823420 - 06/24/04 07:13 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

If you can calibrate the scale in your microphoto you should be able to measure the size of the spores, which is indeed a good way to help verify an ID. You should also be able to verify the shape of the spores and the approximate color.

When doing a spore print for identification purposes to determine color it needs to be done on white paper. Unfortunately, aluminum foil, plastic and glass sheets, and colored papers all can give false impressions of the color - most of the time you'll probably be right, but there are known cases where you can make a mistake.

Happy mushrooming!

Offlinebenzene

But how do these spores look? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2829870 - 06/26/04 04:19 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

ToxicMan, without the actual size - does the shape look ok. Would that be what you'd expect to see when looking at microscopic pics of Psilocybe Subaeruginosa? Do you have something i could use to calibrate the mag? For example the size of blood cells to compare it to them but i don't know the size of anything small enough and that definate. Cells could may vary in size? How about the spores of a shitake mushroom or something like that??

Offlinesuboriginal
enthusiast

Re: But how do these spores look? [Re: benzene]
    #2832739 - 06/27/04 07:32 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

They are subs benzene, I can see the characteristic bluing in every one of those shots of the various parts, (and the pics are good), and if you found them nowish in wood-chips in Melbourne as you say, there's nothing else they really could be with that morphology and such obvious bruising reactions as that. Nice find.

--------------------
Peace, love and organic brown rice...

Offlinebenzene

thanks mate [Re: suboriginal]
    #2832772 - 06/27/04 07:51 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for that sub. I was pretty sure once i saw the bluing and had done a spore print, but like many others i am new and i always like to take the first steps a little slow.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: But how do these spores look? [Re: benzene]
    #2832933 - 06/27/04 09:43 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Mushroom spores of known size would be one way to calibrate the size. Or anything really small of known size. The biggest problem with spores or blood cells is that they aren't as uniform in size as you'd like.

The "official" way is to use a stage micrometer, but those are something you want to borrow, not purchase (think something like $60 for a microscope slide that you will only use once). You could try checking with a local high school or college science teacher where they use microscopes. They might have one so that you could bring in your microscope and calibrate it.

Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags