Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinegermin8tionn8ion
enthusiast
At a total fucking loss, bulk failure.
    #2821563 - 06/23/04 05:31 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I used to be quite sucesful with bulk cultivation. Now, it seems that fate is against me. I'll describe exactly what I do and see if some peopel can spot whats going wrong.

1) I've been using "dehydrated cow manure". It comes in a 40 lb bag and honestly isn't that dehydrated. It's more of a wet-solid / mud consistency. I haven't dried it out before, so I'm thinking that could be a problem. In an effort to get it totally mixed in with the straw, I wetted it in a tubbermade and mixed the straw in with it. It sat like that for a day or three while I was letting grain jars finish up.

2) Got the straw/poo and filled a pillowcase with about 15 quarts worth of mixture. Pasteurized @ 170-190 for 1.5 hours. Removed, drained with a 15 lb weight on top. I noticed that, even after draining, the mixture seemed reallly wet, but I didn't do anything about it the first few times. A few times I squeezed it out more, but that didn't seem to really help that much.

3) Spawned with fully colonized WBS, put the lids on, tossed them into the incubator. 80-88 degrees F

4) The majority showed signs of growing out, but they all stalled at some point. After a few days of them being stalled, I saw the dreaded web growing across them. Cobweb in each and every instance, tho I did see some white blots that could be trichoderma presporulation

I really need some help here. I tried a bit of horse manure the other night, did just horse manure (lots of straw in it from their diet) at 160-170 degrees, as per automan's instructions, and drained overnight. This mixture was the same moistuer level that the PF substrate I remember making came out to being. Squeeze tight, get a few drops of liquid.

I'm thinking it was either due to the lack of drying the shit out, letting it sit in the water with the straw for a few days before use, or not draining properly. Any ideas?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineNoG
journeyman

Re: At a total fucking loss, bulk failure. [Re: germin8tionn8ion]
    #2821604 - 06/23/04 05:42 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i use shit found in a field i use aged poo so all i need to do is break it up into little bits and put in my metal container with a cup of water and cover with tinfoil and oven at 70c for a hour works fine for me. i let it cool for a hour then put into my container i will be using this helps cool the shit down and when its cool enough i mix through my colonised substrate and cover with a layer of substrate and leave for a week in the dark with some plastic over it so it can breath but trap humidity. After all that i sprinkle some wet vermiculate over the top and leave for another few days until the casing has been colonised then expose to light and fruit.

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: At a total fucking loss, bulk failure. [Re: germin8tionn8ion]
    #2821613 - 06/23/04 05:45 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

"I'm thinking it was either due to the lack of drying the shit out, letting it sit in the water with the straw for a few days before use, or not draining properly. Any ideas?"

Yeah, I think its one of those too but I'm gonna lean toward this

"I wetted it in a tubbermade and mixed the straw in with it. It sat like that for a day or three while I was letting grain jars finish up."

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineQandA
wanderer

Re: At a total fucking loss, bulk failure. [Re: Magash]
    #2821758 - 06/23/04 06:50 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

You may want to pasteurize in the the oven next time. That way you don't absorb the water from the PC. Or if you still use a Pressure Cooker, put it in some type of plastic bag like the ones potting soil comes in. Those are supposed to work fine. Good luck!

--------------------
I'm not crazy...crazy.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation