Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Laminar Flow Hood

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Do you use peroxide before G2G
    #2821026 - 06/23/04 03:02 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Mycofile's tek includes using peroxide at 12cc per Q of spawn before doing a G2G. How many of you guys use this tek? I did it once but never did again because i found no need. The only time i ever contamed a G2G jar in my oven was when i touched the inside of the jar being transfered to.
do you always use peroxide before G2G
You may choose only one
Yeeeaaaya!
No

Votes accepted from (06/23/04 02:00 AM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Edited by Gr0wer (06/23/04 03:06 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do you use peroxide before G2G [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2822630 - 06/24/04 12:53 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Hey, looks like I'm the first to respond.

Anyway, I voted no.  I think I mentioned in the report (it's not a tek, man, I mentioned that in there too :wink:) that I just used the peroxide.  In that case I had a flow hood, so I'm not even sure why I used the peroxide.  I just did.

If/when I didn't have a flowhood I would use peroxide everytime.  Regardless of your reported contam rate in your oven, the oven tek is bogus.  It's no better than using your kitchen counter, and maybe worse.  The arodynamics don't work like the oven tek says they do, anno has posted the pictures plenty of times to disprove the tek.

Hey, if it works for you, then it works I guess.  No need for peroxide.

Unless you are cloning a mushroom directly to grain that wasn't grown and harvested in sterile conditions.  Or any other reason why would need additional protection from contams.

I certainly wouldn't recomend everybody use it everytime.  But it has certainly allowed many people without flowhoods to have better success rates with G2G's.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do you use peroxide before G2G [Re: mycofile]
    #2822814 - 06/24/04 02:16 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

LOL. I guess you just wanted to make the bulk neglect report.. tek.. :wink: even longer and more boring :P

So basically peroxide can allow people to transfer in unsterile environments with better success?

Im unsure about the oven tek being totally bogus, With a gas oven the air is cleaner then the outside air simply because its gone through a fire. Not all the air but most. I bet if you get one of those thousand dollar particle counter things from mycosupply a flowing gas oven is more sterile then a counter. Then again doing a G2G you font give contams much time to take hold because the jar is usually colonized in under a week.

Invisiblematts
matts

#2822860 - 06/24/04 02:40 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#2823522 - 06/24/04 10:36 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Grower, I'd be really interested in hearing someone who is successful with the oven tek trying a few transfers on the counter near the oven.  I think the success rate might be comparable.  Hot air comes out the top of the oven, pulling cooler air from the bottom.  Some of this air is neutralized by the heat, but it seems that success is dependent on pretty clean kitchen air to begin with. 
Anyway, I'd never criticize something that works :wink: .  Can you spare a couple of jars to try this?  The one and only time I tried the oven tek I ended up with a myriad of colorful contaminants, including a Coprinus that fruited from the pitched grain! ! !
A little off-topic, sorry.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do you use peroxide before G2G [Re: Suntzu]
    #2824436 - 06/24/04 04:14 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Ill try doing a open air transfer with perozide for a few jars, i wouldnt have the balls or the jars to loose by trying it plain grain.

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
Re: Do you use peroxide before G2G [Re: Suntzu]
    #2825293 - 06/24/04 09:36 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

If you wanted even faster results, someone could do agar plates. If I were doing the experiment, I'd do up a set of eight identical plates and sterilize 'em. Two plates would be controls -- they don't even get opened. Three get "innoculated" (with sterile water, using a wire loop and your usual methods) on the counter, three get it in the oven. Then just incubate for, oh, twenty-four to forty-eight hours, and compare the plates.

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

OfflineKillBill
Quick Learner
Re: Do you use peroxide before G2G [Re: Sev]
    #2951596 - 08/01/04 01:47 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

How exactly do you Use the Peroxide during a g2g transfer? I know someone once told me if i spot a contam early i can squirt some h202 down the side of the jar and kill it like that, cross my fingers and hope for the best for remaining mycelium. But during a g2g? Do you use the peroxide on the jar to be transferred into? And if so, how? and teks or links would be appreciated

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
Re: Do you use peroxide before G2G [Re: Sev]
    #2951758 - 08/01/04 02:28 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

i wouldn't do that just throw the green away. drinking glass fill it with peroxide. big table spoon. dip every two scoops.

Offlineluckytriple6
spun, confused, and needing hugs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: lost in head... come find...
Re: Do you use peroxide before G2G [Re: KillBill]
    #2953323 - 08/01/04 09:00 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

my understanding is that the peroxide will kill ungerminated spores, good and bad... as for trying to kill a contam with peroxide i haven't had any success

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do you use peroxide before G2G [Re: luckytriple6]
    #2953442 - 08/01/04 09:19 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

yes your are correct, it kills all spores. But this is for G2G where you have live growth. All contam spores that find there way in will die but the growth lives on. This allows you to somewhat saftley do g2g's in an unsterile environment.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do you use peroxide before G2G [Re: KillBill]
    #2958575 - 08/03/04 01:44 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

The peroxide is used on the grain in the second generation jars/bags, before it is innoculated with the colonized grain of the 1st generation, but after it has been pressure cooked. This way the grain is safe from any contaminate spores which might get in during transfer.

It goes like this. prep and colonize 1st generation as normal. Prepare the second generation of grain as normal (a little on the dry side of you are precise), sterilize as normal. After cooling, add peroxide to the 2nd gen jars and shake. Innoculate with colonized spawn.

Peroxide won't save a jar that is already growing funk.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlinestargazer

Loc: Hell's theater
Re: Do you use peroxide before G2G [Re: mycofile]
    #2959507 - 08/03/04 10:43 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

i have used the oven tek for the past 6 months while using peroxide. over 80 jars have been done with this tek and have never lost one yet.
turn the oven to 400 deg. for 45 min. then turn it down to 200. put the jars in as far as i can. then i use these cool heat resistance gloves i got from a hazmat company, and do all of my incculations, G2G, agar cultures, everything. i like using it because it faster then using my glovebox. but in the end the peroxide is proably overkill.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Laminar Flow Hood

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology