Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

THE Best Red Pasta Sauce - Never Buy Prebottled Again! (easy
    #2819939 - 06/23/04 04:55 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I seriously hate that ragu, prego and basically all other store bought ready made sauces.  They're usually too sweet and / or flavorless and the sauce makes the pasta.  There's so many ways you can customize this to your taste.  So, here's what I do. 

You'll need some chopped onions...eyeball it.  IF you like onions, use more.
Some minced or diced or even pressed garlic.  I like garlic so I use about 2 or 3 cloves.
About 3 Italian sausages.  I like hot italian sausage, you can use mild.  You'll be taking this out of the casing and crumbling it into the pan.  If you like a less meaty sauce, use less sausage.  This is the key ingredient to the flavorful sauce.
About 2 or so cans of tomato sauce.  I like Contadina brand and only use it.  Another variable, just add to your likings.  Basically more suace for a saucier sauce....:smirk:  you should get the idea.
And finally some basil (Fresh of course!), and possibly a little oregano, salt and pepper to taste.

Okay, now heat up your saute pan and pour in a healthy dash of olive oil.  Start by sweating the onions until almost caramalized.  Then throw in and brown your crumbled sausage.  Toss in the garlic now as the sausage is browning.  Brown it good though, you don't want the insides pink.  Make sure not to burn the garlic.
Now, pour in the tomato sauce and reduce to a medium/slow simmer and add the crushed or torn basil and other seasonings.  Give it a quick stir and it's ready.

I promise you won't go back...this stuff is great.  I like it with a frosty cold beer and often with the bowtie pasta or 'fantelle' i think it's called.  Generally,  i prefer the 'non-noodle' type pasta, but this sauce coats well...it will go with just about any pasta really.  Cheers  :beer:

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSteinM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: THE Best Red Pasta Sauce - Never Buy Prebottled Again! (easy [Re: felix]
    #2820308 - 06/23/04 11:27 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Sounds great. One thing I always add to pasta sauce are 2 cans of sliced mushrooms or sliced fresh mushrooms depending on who's coming over.

Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
Re: THE Best Red Pasta Sauce - Never Buy Prebottled Again! (easy [Re: felix]
    #2820881 - 06/23/04 02:21 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I like cilantro up in that sauce too...lot's of garlic and some urine

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing