Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | Next >
OnlineSmellyhobbitM
Actual Retard
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hole
Re: BOD's Easy AF how to use your pressure cooker for mycology TEK [Re: bodhisatta]
    #28152303 - 01/22/23 02:23 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

You put them in a room temperature bath and then place ice in the water. Not up against the jars, but in the water next to them. Works great. Never had one crack.

--------------------
A Love Letter to New Growers
A Guide for New Growers
Growth 2023 - A Year In Review

Just because your tub contamed, doesn’t mean your attitude has to contam as well. :mushroom:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAspectOfTheCreator
Mastering the Art of Success
 User Gallery

Re: BOD's Easy AF how to use your pressure cooker for mycology TEK [Re: Smellyhobbit]
    #28182489 - 02/11/23 02:29 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Just got a new presto 23 qt. This one advertises itself as being compatible with induction ranges. It came with 2 contradictive statements. One on an insert, another in the manual. Check it.

--------------------

Edited by AspectOfTheCreator (02/11/23 02:30 PM)

Invisibledowodenum
Noob Pope
 User Gallery

Loc: πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
Re: BOD's Easy AF how to use your pressure cooker for mycology TEK [Re: AspectOfTheCreator]
    #28182504 - 02/11/23 02:44 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

I lol'd when I read that in mine, haha!

There's always plenty of water left in my 2hr grain ones, using only 3 quarts.

--------------------

πŸ…ƒ πŸ„΄ πŸ„° πŸ„Ό  πŸ„² πŸ…„ πŸ… πŸ„Έ πŸ„Ύ πŸ…„ πŸ…‚

User Gallery

Re: BOD's Easy AF how to use your pressure cooker for mycology TEK [Re: dowodenum]
    #28183416 - 02/12/23 05:56 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Hah. Thanks for the heads up. I was actually on the fence about that. My last pc would go dry before 2 hours, even with a modified rocker. Although there's no harm in adding an extra quart of water... Is there?

--------------------

Invisibledowodenum
Noob Pope
 User Gallery

Re: BOD's Easy AF how to use your pressure cooker for mycology TEK [Re: AspectOfTheCreator]
    #28183896 - 02/12/23 11:36 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Just takes longer. I have 4 Canadian quarters taped on. I'll use max heat on my biggest burner until it's boiling hard and steam is hissing good, dial that back to 60% heat to maintain during vent, add the weight and back to max heat for ~10 mins (depends on load size) to hit pressure, dialing back to 20% along the way. That's enough to maintain 15 psi, and the modded rocker just hisses smoothly along.

--------------------

OfflineShroomNugget
Mycologist Wannabe
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: BOD's Easy AF how to use your pressure cooker for mycology TEK [Re: dowodenum]
    #28187451 - 02/14/23 05:42 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I picked up a small 6qt PC as I'm a simple man doing small PF 1/2 pint BRF cakes. I'm setting up for the first time and plan to inoculate tomorrow, and I'm new to all this but I'm tech savvy and think I have it down.

How long do people generally sterilize for with a PC? One hour? Funny enough I don't see any posts mentioning 'cooking times' in these guides, or I'm turning blind.

I also have no instructions for amount of water to place in my dinky ass 6 quarter. Anybody with some experience in the dinky realm have some advice for me? :smile:

--------------------

Invisibledowodenum
Noob Pope
 User Gallery

Re: BOD's Easy AF how to use your pressure cooker for mycology TEK [Re: ShroomNugget]
    #28187466 - 02/14/23 05:53 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Weioo said:
I picked up a small 6qt PC as I'm a simple man doing small PF 1/2 pint BRF cakes. I'm setting up for the first time and plan to inoculate tomorrow, and I'm new to all this but I'm tech savvy and think I have it down.

How long do people generally sterilize for with a PC? One hour? Funny enough I don't see any posts mentioning 'cooking times' in these guides, or I'm turning blind.

I also have no instructions for amount of water to place in my dinky ass 6 quarter. Anybody with some experience in the dinky realm have some advice for me? :smile:

If it's an instant pot it only goes to 11.5 psi so I'd go at least 3hrs. At 15, 2 hours is plenty.

Oat prep guide: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24126032

Quote:

pressure cook at 15-18psi for 2 hours (for quart sized jars)

Going over is fine and required at lower pressures, going under is not.

--------------------

Edited by dowodenum (02/14/23 07:11 PM)

OfflineShroomNugget
Mycologist Wannabe

#28187483 - 02/14/23 06:08 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

dowodenum said:
Quote:

Weioo said:

If it's an instant pot it only goes to 11.5 psi so I'd go at least 3hrs. At 15, 2 hours is plenty.

Pressure cooker guide: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24180711/fpart/1/vc/1/nt/17

Oat prep guide: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24126032

Nah it's a true Presto 6qt PC that goes up to 15 PSI, it was only $40 on amazon. I needed a larger pot regardless but didn't want to spend $100+.

I was following a couple different threads about PF TEK but now you're sending me down an Oat Prep TEK rabbit hole, gaaah! :confused:

Edit: So I guess it's 2 hours after temp? GD I thought it'd be faster than a standard pot steaming for 90 minutes, as many speak about for PF TEK, lol. I have read the PC TEK guide.

Ohhh, also how long do the jars need to cool before inoculation can take place? I assume room temperature, so a couple hours to cool after sterilizing?

--------------------

Edited by ShroomNugget (02/14/23 06:14 PM)

Invisibledowodenum
Noob Pope
 User Gallery

Re: BOD's Easy AF how to use your pressure cooker for mycology TEK [Re: ShroomNugget]
    #28187486 - 02/14/23 06:12 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

lol I didn't see you said BRF cakes at first. For 1/2 pint in a 6 quart, 90 mins will be alright. A lot of people have success just steaming them. Remember to vent for 10min before increasing pressure though.

--------------------

User Gallery

#28188504 - 02/15/23 11:25 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

You're going to want to wait until the PC cools off entirely. I like to PC at night so when it's done I can turn it off and go to sleep. By the time I wake up everything has cooled. Otherwise the cooling can cause ambient air to be sucked into the jar. Meaning contam and potential moisture issues.

--------------------

Invisibledowodenum
Noob Pope
 User Gallery

#28188536 - 02/15/23 11:54 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

AspectOfTheCreator said:
You're going to want to wait until the PC cools off entirely. I like to PC at night so when it's done I can turn it off and go to sleep. By the time I wake up everything has cooled. Otherwise the cooling can cause ambient air to be sucked into the jar. Meaning contam and potential moisture issues.

The PC is going to suck in air as it falls to ambient pressure anyway. The idea with filtered lids is that you can keep the thread interface tight and any air is forced to go through the filter. I find it's more important to get it open ASAP to re-tighten (when using plastic lids) and shake to redistribute moisture. So I'll move the PC off the hot burner just to speed that up.

But I think this is a hard debate to quantify.

--------------------

OnlineSmellyhobbitM
Actual Retard
Male User Gallery

Re: BOD's Easy AF how to use your pressure cooker for mycology TEK [Re: bodhisatta] * 1
    #28188548 - 02/15/23 12:03 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

You definitely don’t have to wait until the PC is entirely cool. I take everything out still hot

--------------------
A Guide for New Growers

Just because your tub contamed, doesn’t mean your attitude has to contam as well. :mushroom:

OfflineShroomNugget
Mycologist Wannabe

Re: BOD's Easy AF how to use your pressure cooker for mycology TEK [Re: Smellyhobbit]
    #28188882 - 02/15/23 03:27 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Thanks fellas! I just finished PCing and inoculating about an hour ago. I let the PC cool, only took about 3-4 hours. I gotta learn how to use that syringe, it's so hard to get just 1/4 of a CC out, especially when it's full lol. Pretty sure I used about 3CC on my first jar, and 10cc for all 5 - DOH!

--------------------

OnlineSmellyhobbitM
Actual Retard
Male User Gallery

Re: BOD's Easy AF how to use your pressure cooker for mycology TEK [Re: bodhisatta] * 3
    #28188886 - 02/15/23 03:30 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Do you lift weights? When doing delicate work that still requires some force, like trying to get a little bit out of a syringe, you should engage all the muscles in your hand before you even apply pressure. Like how you would tighten your core and engage your legs before you even squat. It sets you up for smooth, controlled movement instead of that sudden release of fluid as the plunger overcomes friction.

--------------------
A Guide for New Growers

Offlinesnoozer48
Stranger

#28204220 - 02/25/23 02:26 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

How is everyone attaching the quarters to the weight? When I use tape, I'm unable to get them perfectly centered, so the weight sits crooked. When it sits crooked, it vents lower than at 18psi. Any tips/input?

OfflineHysteria
Bum Looker

Loc: New England USA
Re: BOD's Easy AF how to use your pressure cooker for mycology TEK [Re: bodhisatta]
    #28237004 - 03/19/23 05:37 PM (1 year, 28 days ago)

I think my stove sucks because for the life of me it wouldn't hiss and get any pressure at all until I put the weight on.  I have the same model PC as in the video. I let it vent for like 20 minutes waiting for that hiss and few lbs of initial pressure, then I gave up and put the weight on.  It worked after that but it did take a while to get up to 15 psi and I could only bump it down to 8.5 for maintaining pressure. This was only for PF TEK on my first grow from spore syringes, so I hope my stove can keep up when I move to grain for the next phase.

OfflineHysteria
Bum Looker

Loc: New England USA
    #28237006 - 03/19/23 05:41 PM (1 year, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Smellyhobbit said:
Do you lift weights? When doing delicate work that still requires some force, like trying to get a little bit out of a syringe, you should engage all the muscles in your hand before you even apply pressure. Like how you would tighten your core and engage your legs before you even squat. It sets you up for smooth, controlled movement instead of that sudden release of fluid as the plunger overcomes friction.

Great tip, thanks for posting that!

OfflineLevster
Rice Rocketeer

Re: BOD's Easy AF how to use your pressure cooker for mycology TEK [Re: snoozer48]
    #28238873 - 03/20/23 09:45 PM (1 year, 27 days ago)

As long as it's 15psi it's fine. I used tuck tape. Sticky as fuck. No other tape works for me.

OfflineMLPAlucard
Stranger
    #28249188 - 03/27/23 11:58 AM (1 year, 21 days ago)

my mom made applesauce my entire life with this method...guess it paid off for something lol

Offlinemijk
Stranger
    #28259465 - 04/02/23 04:33 PM (1 year, 14 days ago)

So can anyone explain why the tinfoil is used the way on the pics? I get it that you will blow up the glass if you use the lid, but the steam will push off the tin/aluminium foil right? And how does the steam get into the jars with this foil covering it?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | Next >

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag