Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Strange happenings at Newton Hill
    #2818209 - 06/22/04 07:58 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

June 22nd, 2004

I woke up today to my gf getting ready for work. Unfortunately, i had the day off and she would be at work all day. So i decided i should make the most of my day and go see what kind of mycological life i could find in this wooded area called Newton Hill. I've only
been to this place once before, but we left early becuase it was starting to rain and she was getting cold. I've been wanting to go back and trek the paths further in; there are at least 6 well marked paths there. So i decided today was the day to explore them.

Pre-journey preparations started out with 3 cups of coffee and playing my guitar a bit. I've been working on some new giuitar music for the last week, but i've been unable to come up with the "right" changes for this one particular song, i know it's there somewhere
but i just can't find it. after about a half hour of music and caffeine, i was motivated enough to pack my field guide, notebook, and pen and head out.

I decided today i was going to try my hand at finding some pan subbs. So on my way to Newton Hill i kept my eyes glued to peoples lawns and gardens. No luck there. I passed a construction sight where a new house was being built and saw a couple hay bales in front,
but alas, no subbs. Not yet anyway i'll check again in a few days. Further on I came across my familliar patch of wine-capped stropharia, but none were left save for what appears to be an albino spin off of them. I continued toward my destination crossing a
large park (not a single fungus growing there) And made my way across the street to the entrance of one of the paths into Newton Hill.

Only a few steps in i felt a change in the air, strange but agreeable. At this point i would have been happy to find any mushrooms, so i watched the ground closely as i walked. Not to much further in i noticed the ground was covered with flowers. These were just heads though, and they were so familliar to me. They had white petals, a yellow-orange stamen and purple spots near the interior. Then it struck me why i recognized them. I looked up and sure enough there was the very same kind of tree that used to grow at my
parents house when i was a child! When i was a kid i loved those trees because they didn't grow in anyone elses yard, and i've always felt connected to them ever since, and seeing them brought back a flood of forgotten memories. That feeling was in the air again but
stronger, this time coupled with a bittersweet nostalgia. I felt like a carpet had been rolled out fo me as if i was an expected visitor.

I made my way through the lower paths keeping an eye out for any elusive cap i would cross. After some time going back and forth along these paths i started to take paths that would bring me higher. I was surprised that i hadn't yet come across any mushrooms. I had a few
close calls, but everytime i got close to check it out they turned into leaves or sticks. I seen a small grouping of some amazing plants on one of the paths. They were red up until the highest leaves where they gradually frosted white. They seemed so strange and beautiful to me, and the feeling was there too.

I suddenly realized that i was getting very hungry, but kept going nonetheless. I came to a path crossroads of sorts. I was hungry and tired and was considering just going home to cut my losses, when i saw another path that was literally off the beaten path and headed
practically straight up. I felt compelled to go up it, even though i was exhuasted, perhaps i would be rewarded with a nice big patch of whatever. And more than whatever is what i found.

Treking up this steep path, again things seemed to change. They plants were different, the sounds were different. I suddenly realized that i was surrounded by quite myriad of dragonflys of every imagniable color, darting back and forth betwen the grasses. It was an awesome sight, and i further comitted to follow this path to wherever it took me. Well, it wasn't much further when i realized the plants were thinning out and that i would soon be entering a clearing. When i finally reached the edge of the clearing I was surprised to see a large pole coming out of a large rock in the center of the clearing. I'm not sure what the pole was for but the rock itslef was obvious. It was large and six-sided and it had five diamonds painted on it, all in different colors and pointing in a different directions.

It was almost exhillarating when i came to a few seemingly important realizations: that all the paths converged at this one place(this stood out as important for some reason), and also that it was the highest point on Newton Hill. It was a powerful spot to be. You could feel it. I also remember thinking it would be an excellent place for star gazing as it was high above the lights of the city and afforded a clear view of the sky. I walked around the clearing a bit, looking closely into the grasses, trying to see beyond them into a hidden universe that they veiled. I was pretty damned tired at this point, and eventually just picked a path at random and followed it.

It was about at this point when i realized how amazingly silent evrything was, save for natural noises. I also relaized that i myself wasn't really thinking anymore, there wasn't that constant inner voice, but there was some music playing in my head. I didn't recognize it at first but then realized it was the song i had been playing earlier before i left. A pleasant surprise, i always like getting my own songs stuck in my head. But it was different, and i quickly realized why. It was playing with the with some new changes in it, and it sounded great! It ws exactly what i was looking for and i surprised how my mind, admist the silence found what i was looking for, without any effort on my part.

I continued happily down the path for a while. Suddenly a small snake came out from the left side of the path and crossed right between my legs! I jumped before i realized what it was, and then i saw it just sitting there on the other side just looking at me. I
slowly came closer to it but it didn't run. At first it was in the standard defense position (ready to strike) but i was very calm at this point and it seemed to calm down too. Soon it was flicking its tongue in the exploratory way. it sat there and i must have
watched it, down on my knees, for a good 15 mins, remembering every detail of its appearence; It felt like we were conversing and that he was telling me secrets about the world. Eventually we mutually agreed that it was time to get back to our particular paths. I found a stump nearby the next crossroad and took out my noteook and recorded what i remebered about the snake, it seemed important.

I took the crosspath, at this point not even really caring if i found a mushroom. My feet were really dragging, i was hungry, tired, and hot. But i just trudged on anyway because it felt like the right thing to do. After about an hour i came to another crossroad. It
disoriented me for a second because it looked like the last crossroad i took. Sure enough it was, the path i was on must have been a loop, but i was surprised i didn't realize it until i had already completed it. I was relieved to see it though as i was ready to start making
my way back.

I followed the path back up to the clearing. I went to the rock and pole with the path names on it. But again i was disoriented. I couldn't quite make out which way i first came into the clearing, and i always had a good sense of direction. I went to where i thought
it was most likely to be, but that area was completely overgrown now. I ended up walking the perimter of the clearing until i found a clear path that seemed to go more or less in the right direction. At the entrance to this path was a grove of trees that made a near
perfect circle. I stepped inside it and felt a near mystical presence and in there; the wind picked up and cooled me down quite nicely. I stayed awhile, bathing in the energy of the circle, then bade my goodby's to the seven trees and made my way down the path that I chose, or was chosen for me, as it seemed more likely. It got steep suddenly, and i slipped and landed on my ass, but i wasn't phased because i was feeling quite serene from what i've seen and a lack of inner-voice.

I followed it down and it finally came to a street, but it wasn't the street i crossed to enter Newton Hill, but there was another path right there going in another direction so i took it, hoping it would lead me to something more familliar. It wasn't long before it i knew i was on the right path, thanks to one of the many small stairways that someone wisely must have placed in this area many years ago. While walking along i caught a glimpse of what looked like a mushroom, thinking this may be my last chance of finding any today, I went to pick it, but it quickly became a rock. It was almost perfectly elliptical, i flipped it over and its underside was bowled. It reminded me of a natural mortar or something ancient like that. I figured i could probably burn insence in it. I took it with me, it felt like a gift.

It wasnt long before i finally found my way out i used to get in and made my way home. It felt strange leaving the hill and the paths behind, but it was time. The song was still playing perfectly in my head when i finally walked in my door, although quite tired and never having found any subbs, i felt a peace around me. I immediately went to my guitar and figured out the new parts that had been playing nonstop in my head for the last few hours. The whole journey had a very shamanic/mystical feel to it, that is still around me as i am writing this for you.

Happy trails,

mycomancer

--------------------

Edited by Mycomancer (06/22/04 11:22 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineYouEnjoyMyself
PHiSH

Re: Strange happenings at Newton Hill [Re: Mycomancer]
    #2818242 - 06/22/04 08:05 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i like never read anything that long, but i read this and it was nice. Good job.

--------------------
-Wash uffitze drive me to firenze

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

Loc: Bergen, Norway
    #2818252 - 06/22/04 08:07 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I read half of it, but dew to impatience I scrolled to the bottom to see if you found those subbs... lol... nice authoringityingish thing thing... you know what I mean. I'm norwegian.

--------------------
Magic mushrooms are not addictive, the shroomery is!

OfflineYouEnjoyMyself
PHiSH

Re: Strange happenings at Newton Hill [Re: filthysock]
    #2818259 - 06/22/04 08:08 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

are you trying to say "nice job at writing"?

--------------------
-Wash uffitze drive me to firenze

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Re: Strange happenings at Newton Hill [Re: filthysock]
    #2818266 - 06/22/04 08:10 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

It didn't seem nearly as long when i was typing it, but yeah it is damn long, and sadly, no subbs today, but i will be keeping an eye on those hay bales in the coming days as it rained today.

:rasta:,

mycomancer

--------------------

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2818418 - 06/22/04 08:52 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Nice story :smile:

--------------------
What?

OfflinePhishgrrl
Walking in thetall trees...
 User Gallery

#2818519 - 06/22/04 09:27 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hey that was a great story! Thanks. :smile:

--------------------
Once in awhile you can get shown the light

In the strangest of places if you look at it right...

InvisibleLe_Canard
Danger Man

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #2818560 - 06/22/04 09:36 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Sounds like you had a great time, even if you didn't find what you set out to find - you found something better! :laugh:

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Re: Strange happenings at Newton Hill [Re: Le_Canard]
    #2818967 - 06/22/04 11:20 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, that's exactly how i feel about the whole thing.  There were a lot of things that had personal meanings, and i'm taking them as omens.  I live in a city, and it's good to reconnect with nature-feels like an old friend.  Good Medicine.  Everything happened as written, i just couldn't describe without surreal images, cause thats the way i experienced it. 

:rasta:,

mycomancer

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub