Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

Loc: FNQ
6 hours sleep maximum after stopping alcohol
    #28176849 - 02/07/23 09:32 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I've quit alcohol for extended periods before, as well as drinking for extended periods. My last round of drinking lasted 9 months and I've been stopped around 2-3 months now.

The only problem is is now I can't sleep more than 6 hours. It doesn't matter how tired I am, what time I go to bed, what I eat or drink... nothing seems to change it. It's not like I'm having bad thoughts, I'm not ruminating, and I don't have trouble going to sleep. I just keep waking up too soon for my needs.

I'm considering taking a huge dose of psychedelics to shake the tree and see what falls out. I've been hesitant to take more than a small dose because tripping tired can be difficult. But I'm always tired these days because of this so I have to do something.

Any ideas how to overcome this or similar experiences?

--------------------
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFridgedoor
Psssssst!
Male

Re: 6 hours sleep maximum after stopping alcohol [Re: Northerner]
    #28176958 - 02/07/23 11:25 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I quit drinking about 3 years ago (because of an epiphany I got on shrooms :awesomenod:).

I still use cannabis though and that helped getting some sleep. I think I remember you mentioned that you don't smoke weed anymore, so that's probably not an option.

I am sure you considered some exercise and some fun time with the misses before bed? That always gets me sleepy in a healthy way.

I am sure your system will get used to it and regulate your sleep paterns eventually. A good dose of psychedelics could help too I guess.
In any way, I hope you'll be successful kicking that the drinking habit for good!

--------------------
Hokus Pokus Fidibus!

OfflineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

Re: 6 hours sleep maximum after stopping alcohol [Re: Fridgedoor]
    #28177039 - 02/08/23 01:35 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Yeah I do martial arts and have plenty of fun times with Missus Northy, don't use any drugs besides caffeine and psychedelics, going to sleep isn't the issue. I just keep waking up. It's like suddenly the light goes on and the horses bolt out of the gate. Then I'm doing this and that and ready to go, but I've not had enough winks and I'm actually tired. Laying there is useless though. It just gets boring so I give in and get up. Mornings are fine but then by early afternoon I'm broken tired again but drag myself along until bedtime. It's a crazy cycle.

I guess in time it'll resolve, but it's getting old now. Been going on for well over a month and it's a drag.

--------------------

OfflineGiermmo
You fuckin' druggo
 User Gallery

#28177069 - 02/08/23 04:17 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Old people tend to have problem with this, probably not your case.
You can try melatonin or do o tea with lemonbalm+chamomile, if you can get you hands on pharma quality of essential oils then lavender works wonders. I put it into difuser before sleep and i am asleep within few minutes.
You can use the drops on yourself or into tea or few drops on the pillow.
GL

--------------------
Don't worry mate, what you're gonna feel is a slight burning in your heart, your lungs, your brain, your kidneys, your liver, bottom of your feet, your eyeballs, then you start bleeding from your nose and ears, then you start tripping out and seeing everything in the form of an anime cartoon which is really fucking cool.

Offlinestzacrack
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: United States
    #28178327 - 02/08/23 08:30 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I'm 4 months sober now and I also only get 5 6 hrs if I'm lucky, waking up at 12-1, then again at 3-4

I'm just trying to exercise and fast my mind and body back into order

Was an everyday heavy drinker for 8 yrs,  heroin addict 5 years overlapping those 8 years

Maybe some phenibut for extreme emergency use only on real tough nights?

Edited by stzacrack (02/09/23 03:54 AM)

InvisiblefeeversM
Male

Re: 6 hours sleep maximum after stopping alcohol [Re: stzacrack]
    #28178714 - 02/09/23 03:03 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Northerner said:
Yeah I do martial arts and have plenty of fun times with Missus Northy, don't use any drugs besides caffeine and psychedelics, going to sleep isn't the issue. I just keep waking up. It's like suddenly the light goes on and the horses bolt out of the gate. Then I'm doing this and that and ready to go, but I've not had enough winks and I'm actually tired. Laying there is useless though. It just gets boring so I give in and get up. Mornings are fine but then by early afternoon I'm broken tired again but drag myself along until bedtime. It's a crazy cycle.

I guess in time it'll resolve, but it's getting old now. Been going on for well over a month and it's a drag.

Have you always been a caffiene user? The way caffeine effects your brain can cause a shift in the sleepy/wakey chemicals so that they're operating under much more abrupt spikes and dips then the gradual build-up/release that is natural to us. Also depending on how well your body processes it, many coffee drinkers wake up in/by withdrawal every day even without knowing it

OfflineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

Re: 6 hours sleep maximum after stopping alcohol [Re: feevers]
    #28178749 - 02/09/23 04:13 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

stzacrack said:
I'm 4 months sober now and I also only get 5 6 hrs if I'm lucky, waking up at 12-1, then again at 3-4

I'm just trying to exercise and fast my mind and body back into order

Was an everyday heavy drinker for 8 yrs,  heroin addict 5 years overlapping those 8 years

Maybe some phenibut for extreme emergency use only on real tough nights?

Glad you got out man, sounds like one hell of a hole you climbed out of. You make me feel lucky that at least I'm sleeping in a solid block. It'd be worse if my sleep was interrupted.

Quote:

feevers said:
Have you always been a caffiene user? The way caffeine effects your brain can cause a shift in the sleepy/wakey chemicals so that they're operating under much more abrupt spikes and dips then the gradual build-up/release that is natural to us. Also depending on how well your body processes it, many coffee drinkers wake up in/by withdrawal every day even without knowing it

I've been drinking a cup of coffee several times a week for maybe 20 years. When I'm programming I almost always have one in the morning. I didn't drink it for a couple of weeks just now to see if that would help but it didn't make any difference.

I'm going to try Polarimine tonight, see if that helps. Failing that I'll try Allersoothe. I usually avoid Allersoothe because it makes me groggy the next day, but maybe that's what I need to get me back in rhythm.

--------------------

Offlinethealienthatategod
retrovertigo
Female

#28179348 - 02/09/23 11:38 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

my recommendation to overcome your poor sleep is niacin 500-1,000 mg 1,2, or 3 x/day with meals.

OfflineSugabearcrisp
Not Your Average Bear
Male User Gallery

Loc: maybe I had too much, too fast
    #28179536 - 02/09/23 01:38 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Definitely sounds like an issue with circadian rythym.

I kinda think a solid lsd trip that kept you awake all night followed by a long day of mindfulness and relaxation capped off with a melatonin and or a mild relaxant like an edible or something stronger or herbal might hit reset for you.

The other question to ask yourself would be if there is something you can add to your daily that increases your fatigue physically or mentally and not allow it to make you go to bed earlier?

Picking up a new sport or hard to master hobby can get different parts of your brain and body tired such that they aren't awakening you early.

As we get older we get better at doing the things we do with less effort naturally and sometimes can fall into a pace where your body is placated

OfflinemndfreezeMDiscordReddit
Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PuppetMasterFlash
Re: 6 hours sleep maximum after stopping alcohol [Re: Northerner] * 1
    #28179618 - 02/09/23 02:34 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Insomnia is a pretty common if not standard side effect of stopping CNS depressants.

I quit methadone years ago and my insomnia shot through the roof.  I can't sleep more than a few hours a night without taking lunesta.  Caffeine definitely makes the issues worse.

If you use melatonin make sure it's not a regular thing.  There are issues with taking it long term.

--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

Invisiblevandago
 User Gallery

Loc: .
    #28181046 - 02/10/23 02:39 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Northerner said:
I've quit alcohol for extended periods before, as well as drinking for extended periods. My last round of drinking lasted 9 months and I've been stopped around 2-3 months now.

The only problem is is now I can't sleep more than 6 hours. It doesn't matter how tired I am, what time I go to bed, what I eat or drink... nothing seems to change it. It's not like I'm having bad thoughts, I'm not ruminating, and I don't have trouble going to sleep. I just keep waking up too soon for my needs.

I'm considering taking a huge dose of psychedelics to shake the tree and see what falls out. I've been hesitant to take more than a small dose because tripping tired can be difficult. But I'm always tired these days because of this so I have to do something.

Insane amounts of exercise. Chamomile. Pistachios. Melatonin. Valerian root. Meditation. More exercise.

Once you get down with all of the above on the regular, you will find that 8 hours again. It’s not easy. Both alcohol and benzos have done this to me, for years following, but I practiced the above, and then went and lived in the woods for 3 months ( after 11 days is when i started sleeping like a king again )

I doubt you need to live in the woods, but a good vacation after a tiring and sleep inducing routine, you’ll catch it.

I recommend qiviviq if you need a sleep med to suffice until you find the natural.

InvisiblePurple sunset
I'm a teapot

Loc: No Path
Re: 6 hours sleep maximum after stopping alcohol [Re: vandago]
    #28184693 - 02/12/23 09:48 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Hope you feel better soon

I recommended exercise and eating well

I drink lots of espresso and eat acid often enough. Never have trouble with sleep

Working about 40 hours a week and bicycling helps

Also dont drink much if at all

--------------------

OfflineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

Re: 6 hours sleep maximum after stopping alcohol [Re: Purple sunset]
    #28184769 - 02/12/23 11:28 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Yeah I'm still getting fuck all sleep.  :undecided:

Broken fucking tired after big physical day working yesterday. In bed by 11 and asleep shortly after. Awake at 5. Darn it.

--------------------

InvisibleCreonAntigone
Stranger

#28185113 - 02/13/23 08:12 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Laying there is useless though. It just gets boring so I give in and get up. Mornings are fine but then by early afternoon I'm broken tired again but drag myself along until bedtime. It's a crazy cycle.

Have you tried adding some short naps? I don't know if you're a napper at all. But if you can't clear 6 hours, you might be able to add a short afternoon nap to make up some of the extra sleep you need. There's nothing wrong with having two periods of sleep from a health perspective, and it is done by people in Spain sometimes traditionally with the mid-day siesta.

I just make that suggestion because you say you're tired in the afternoon, and if that's the case you might be able to sleep a little then and there before you go to bed fully.

Invisiblebridge2far

#28185197 - 02/13/23 09:41 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

This podcast episode has helped my lifelong struggle with sleep. Maybe give it a listen and try a suggestion or two. Something relatively simple like mouth taping could have surprisingly positive effects on your sleep quality & duration.

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Loc: attending Snake Church
    #28185267 - 02/13/23 10:29 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I wouldn't take anything for it. You just need time.

--------------------
"The Rolling Stones will break up over Brian Jones' dead body"    John Lennon

I don't want no commies in my car. No Christians either.

The worst thing about corruption is that it works so well,

Anonymous #1

#28185270 - 02/13/23 10:31 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Northerner said:

I feel like I slept a lot if I sleep 6 hours.
I don't use anything but shrooms. That is not often.

OfflineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

Re: 6 hours sleep maximum after stopping alcohol [Re: Anonymous #1] * 2
    #28297727 - 04/27/23 02:36 PM (10 months, 25 days ago)

Well I'm happy to report that I can finally sleep again. It was a long 5 months with no real sleep, but finally, finally, I can go to bed and sleep 8 hours and feel refreshed afterwards.

It's not every night yet, but enough nights that I have left zombie mode and can function at a high level.

It's cost me a bit. I had to defer my university studies for this semester and my work didn't just pass by but piled up. But at least there's a light at the end of the tunnel now.

--------------------

Invisibleloladoreen
 User Gallery

#28299129 - 04/28/23 04:49 PM (10 months, 24 days ago)

But you did it!!
YEAH!!!

--------------------
“One doesn’t have to operate with great malice to do great harm. The absence of empathy and understanding are sufficient.”

Invisiblesudly
Quasar Praiser

#28346251 - 06/03/23 07:31 PM (9 months, 19 days ago)

Quote:

Northerner said:

I used to drink myself to sleep every night. I've only had 6 drinks this year and have lost 12kg since cutting sugary beverages or at least reflexively saying no to consuming them.

I mentally can't eat things that have too much sugar content now.

I have sleep apnea and since getting a CPAP machine I've felt more energetic throughout the day, I was at the lower end but still slept while snoring 98% of the night, stopped breathing for 90 seconds at a time and had a heart rate of around 110. Apparently the heart shoots you up with adrenaline to get you breathing so you don't die while sleeping. and again, I'm at the very low end of sleep apnea. but loosing weight around the cheeks is also supposed to help with that.

Melatonin and over the counter sleep aids are usefull for me sometimes especially if I had modafinil in the system because it makes it very hard to sleep if taken too late in the day. but it does help significantly with my productivity.

--------------------
I am whatever Darwin needs me to be.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate