Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | Next > | Last >
InvisibleMycolorado
Hobbyist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Interdimensional Bootcamp
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: LotKid] * 1
    #28178203 - 02/08/23 07:29 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

--------------------
πŸ…‚πŸ„ΈπŸ„ΆπŸ„ΌπŸ„°

Helpful Threads
stonesun
Mycolorado’s Tamp Fruit Project
Tampanensis Grow with Mycolorado
bw86's Jalisco Grow

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBeefSupremeJr
Detritivore
Male User Gallery

Loc: 29.9792Β° N, 31.1342Β° E
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: Mycolorado] * 5
    #28178453 - 02/08/23 09:59 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I confess I admire the TC tag.  I confess admiration for anyone who digs into any field that deep.  I confess I feel sad sometimes knowing im like the most experienced noob in the park but this is my station in life in general and I content myself with being a master of none becauase I can do almost anything pretty ok.  I dont dig deep holes I just dig a shit load of holes. I confess I tell myself lies to make myself feel better like "they probably just have more time than me" etc but the truth is I spread myself too thin.  Its a recurring theme in my life.  Probably too old to change.

OfflineExcess Taters
Highentist
 User Gallery

Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: BeefSupremeJr] * 5
    #28178655 - 02/09/23 01:52 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I honestly don't think that's a bad thing beef, I think it's an aspect of your personality that I also have.

For me, things get boring after a while, and while you initially gain a lot for everything you do, eventually you reach a point of diminishing returns where it is no longer worth it.  So rather than mastering things, you become as good as you need to be to succeed with regularity.

I've mastered one thing in my life, which is my profession, but everything else I'm just varying grades of proficient at.  I tend to get very good at stuff, but sooner or later the diminishing returns come back into play.

I don't think we should beat ourselves up for being... Ourselves.  Personally the way I run this math is as follows.  If I don't do something, then odds are I don't want to do it as much as I think I want to do it.  If I truly wanted to do it, I would. 

Wanting to do something, in my opinion, means wanting to do the work required to get to that level of skill.  If you don't want to do the work, but you want all the benefits of doing the work, then you don't actually desire that skill.  Alternatively and more likely than that, is that you've reached a level of proficiency with that skill that bestows most of the benefits you desire.

Being able to grow cubes is amazing.  Especially with consistent clean grows.  In the mushroom world, yeah there are tons of other things to grow, but 90% of what we really want is right here, with this level of skill and knowledge.  We're still here learning, but it's incidental and without a drive to achieve something amazing, just a consistency of interest and effort towards a goal.  Which imo is perfectly fine.

--------------------
If you've never grown mushrooms before, here's how you start.  First, follow the Updated PF Tek, put 4 holes in jar lids not 1, and use a water tub! 
The next move is Shoebox Tek. After that you move onto grains, agar, monotubs.  Agar is easy, just do it.
Other useful links - Picture guide for how things should look and proper surface conditions guide
Growing APE or PE?  P9 pseudo casing tek

InvisibleLotKid
Never.Trust.A.Prankster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shakedown St.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: Excess Taters] * 3
    #28178839 - 02/09/23 06:11 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

i keep saying that one day i might get this shit figured out.

i've seen plenty of tagged users give retarded advice and post really stupid shit.  i get why the tag was created. but the ppl giving them out have changed. 

most just turn it into a popularity contest.

#DontBelieveTheHype

--------------------

:mushroom2: LotKid's PE Tips        :shpongle:    LotKid's Chocolates :mushroom2:
:dancingbear: :dancingbear:

InvisibleLadysKnight
Hello Ladies
 User Gallery

Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: LotKid] * 2
    #28178843 - 02/09/23 06:16 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

We know how the casting couch works.

OfflineNonagon
Bacon frying, sparrows chirping
 User Gallery

Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: Excess Taters] * 1
    #28178849 - 02/09/23 06:20 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

BeefSupremeJr said:
I dont dig deep holes I just dig a shit load of holes

Quote:

I spread myself too thin.  Its a recurring theme in my life.

Quote:

Excess Taters said:
things get boring after a while, and while you initially gain a lot for everything you do, eventually you reach a point of diminishing returns where it is no longer worth it

Quote:

Personally the way I run this math is as follows.  If I don't do something, then odds are I don't want to do it as much as I think I want to do it.  If I truly wanted to do it, I would. 

I confess that i also get wrapped up in the novelty of new projects before shelfing them when then the next interest consumes my available energy, and tend to mistake my busy-ness and engagement in something for contentment. It’s a predictable pattern which is frustrating, but kind of positive if you look at it right.

I like taters take that if I really wanted to apply myself to something else at any given moment, I probably would. Managed to make a career around one of my few β€œdeep holes”, but the pursuit of mastery has been a fleeting/humbling one. Nice to have a working knowledge in a shitload of other weird niche holes to keep digging at when I feel like it.

--------------------
πŸ…ƒ πŸ„΄ πŸ„° πŸ„Ό  πŸ„² πŸ… πŸ…„ πŸ„½ πŸ„² πŸ„· πŸ…† πŸ… πŸ„° πŸ„Ώ

Invisiblebakedbeings
orbiter of truth
 User Gallery

Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: LotKid]
    #28178956 - 02/09/23 07:35 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

LotKid said:
i keep saying that one day i might get this shit figured out.

i've seen plenty of tagged users give retarded advice and post really stupid shit.  i get why the tag was created. but the ppl giving them out have changed. 

most just turn it into a popularity contest.

#DontBelieveTheHype

back when i spent my days absorbing shit teks from youtube i found some guy with painted nails and tats doing g2g with corn in open air into an unsterile shoebox. i forget his name but im sure some of you know who im talking about. anyway someone commented something like "im a TC and mod at shroomery and i endorse your videos they are rad and true". ive always wondered who the fuck wrote that and whether they were fr. probably was the guy commenting on his video but who knows

InvisibleLotKid
Never.Trust.A.Prankster
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: bakedbeings] * 1
    #28178995 - 02/09/23 08:08 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

prolly bod 🀑

here's a moment of honesty... bod is the one who pm'd me saying " i had to tag ya" 

to anyone who has been around for awhile prolly knows that i dont respect him as a grower. so to have him say, "i had to tag ya" doesnt mean shit to me because i think he's a hack.

the tag would mean a lot more if it came from someone i respected.

straight up.

beacause i dont respect him as a grower i'm like "what the fuck do i care what you think?"

so i recommend everyone take the tags with a grain of salt. i do

--------------------

:mushroom2: LotKid's PE Tips        :shpongle:    LotKid's Chocolates :mushroom2:

Edited by LotKid (02/09/23 08:15 AM)

InvisibleAyePlus
Stony Danza
Male User Gallery

Loc: Fairfield, Connecticut
Trusted Cultivator
    #28179007 - 02/09/23 08:15 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Damn, thats a deep cut

Just out of curiosity what is it about bod’s growing you dont respect?

--------------------
Learn about breeding

C10’s agar guide
Good surface conditions = Good pinsets
Read more, post less.
πŸ…‚ πŸ„° πŸ„Ό πŸ„΄  πŸ…ƒ πŸ„΄ πŸ„° πŸ„Ό
πŸ…ƒ πŸ„΄ πŸ„° πŸ„Ό  πŸ„² πŸ„» πŸ„Έ πŸ„½ πŸ„Ά πŸ…† πŸ… πŸ„° πŸ„Ώ

InvisibleLotKid
Never.Trust.A.Prankster
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: AyePlus] * 1
    #28179009 - 02/09/23 08:16 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

pretty much all of it

--------------------

OfflineThugnar
Newbie in the stream
I'm a teapot

Loc: Next to Mordor
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: BeefSupremeJr]
    #28179012 - 02/09/23 08:18 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

[
Quote:

BeefSupremeJr said:
I confess I admire the TC tag.  I confess admiration for anyone who digs into any field that deep.  I confess I feel sad sometimes knowing im like the most experienced noob in the park but this is my station in life in general and I content myself with being a master of none becauase I can do almost anything pretty ok.  I dont dig deep holes I just dig a shit load of holes. I confess I tell myself lies to make myself feel better like "they probably just have more time than me" etc but the truth is I spread myself too thin.  Its a recurring theme in my life.  Probably too old to change.

I feel exactly the same for people with achieved titles in general. Also my inherited ADHD traits have pushed my life much like yours. Im a generalist who started from the suburbs and ended up in the uni. I've played basketball with fellow dealers and golf with the boss. I've been sailing the seas and lakes, explored the wilderness in long journeys and i could propably continue the list for two pages. STILL im just adequate at sailing and if i went to sea alone i would propably die. :laugh2:
I really cant name even one thing that im  really good at and not just adequate. I like it though. It feels like that the more i suck up general info about everything, the better i already am in the next thing that i start. Being a generalist is a great thing!

Edit: But i do feel the same negative feelings about it too, sometimes. Especially when i see the people who grounded themselves in one thing that they like and started to plan the long game. Got married and have kids. My life was way too erratic and the women around me also when i was 24 and now im too fucking busy in making a career! =(

--------------------
Seems like 99% of people in shroomery mushcult use the Bucket Tek. I do not and for saying this they call me arrogant cause i dont have pictures of my own mushrooms here. The mycoforum of my country just got their proof of shroomerys hostility. I do like it here though becaus of the agar. The archives are valuable.

Edited by Thugnar (02/09/23 08:23 AM)

OfflineThugnar
Newbie in the stream
I'm a teapot

Loc: Next to Mordor
    #28179025 - 02/09/23 08:33 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

LotKid said:

straight up.

beacause i dont respect him as a grower i'm like "what the fuck do i care what you think?"

so i recommend everyone take the tags with a grain of salt. i do

If i remember right it was 2014 and the dialoque - RR vs. bod- started the whole "coffee is bad in cultivation paradigm" so i do have to confess that i have some mixed feelings about bod's way of things too. The peep's in my country understand it quite well that spent coffee grounds is a risk without good spawn and pasteurization. Why is it impossible to make that disclaimer here and teach people about different subs after they get some things right with plain coir or pf cakes?
Coffee in bulk is just one way of using it and not even the best or most useful.

--------------------
Seems like 99% of people in shroomery mushcult use the Bucket Tek. I do not and for saying this they call me arrogant cause i dont have pictures of my own mushrooms here. The mycoforum of my country just got their proof of shroomerys hostility. I do like it here though becaus of the agar. The archives are valuable.

OfflineB Traven
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central Megalopolis
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: LotKid] * 3
    #28179084 - 02/09/23 09:05 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

It always felt to me like part of the TC tag was just confirming that someone isn't just an elaborate troll who's been making shit up. From that standpoint, it seems perfectly valid that some people would be so guarded that they'd simply never reveal enough to get the tag. I really respect and admire the people who take the time to break down the science and do these intensive write-ups, and conduct proper experiments for the benefit of the community. If I'm gonna be real about it, that'll never be me.

I definitely feel the "dig lots of holes, but never too deep" thing. The irony for me is that this is one of the few areas where I've maintained a consistent practice and done the same things over and over again until they're damn near second nature. In orher things, I'd be trying to re-invent, find new techniques, try new equipment, etc. But in my quest for consistency in mush cult, I've mainly just gone through troubleshooting for one way of doing things, and then settled into that. I'm a little surprised that I still haven't properly messed around with other species yet, but that's largely because I'm so engrossed in the cube projects I have going, and never seem to find the time/space. So I guess this is one of those rare occasions where, rather than jumping from one pursuit to the next, I'm hanging on to this one in a very OCD fashion. So much so that I become paranoid about change. I guess I'm more of a gardener than a scientist when growing cubes. No time to fuck around with building an LC gun or trying to grow Panaceruleanolus Obscuricus on eucalyptus chips when I'm tending to an overflow of sequentially g2g'd cube quarts.

Also, the thing is, it's easy to get into something and then beat yourself up for not devoting your entire life to it. The smaller the subculture, the easier it is to be next to people who are at the top of the game. That tends to obscure where your skills are in relation to the rest of the population. Growing mycelium out on agar, putting it to grain, and successfully growing a batch of mushrooms probably puts somebody's cultivation skills in at least the top 0.1%, globally speaking. But then we're on here rubbing elbows with people who are pushing the envelope, and that feels weird. But some of us are just busy growing shrooms, or caught up in other shit, and that's ok too.

I beat myself up every time I go to the skatepark after a long hiatus, and watch kids who are out there every day shredding it up while I try to get my sealegs back. Then I pass by someone's house skating down an alley, and they just shake their head and say "I'd kill myself on that thing right away." Same deal. I've seen pro skaters turn up at my local bowl, which would be like playing pickup basketball and having LeBron James turn up. Of course I'll never feel adequate.

But in a way, those are all good things. Certainly beats turning up here with 1000% confidence as you advocate for Uncle Ben and damprid.

LotKid, regardless of whether you respect how you got the tag or not, there was no way you weren't gonna get it. It was an "oh yeah, of course" type situation to most who follow the forum. Far too much grounded practical advice backed up by good science and obvious street cred.

--------------------
Beware of advice- even this.

OfflineBeefSupremeJr
Detritivore
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: Thugnar] * 1
    #28179086 - 02/09/23 09:06 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

DAMN shots fired ahhahaha.  This thred took a turn i dismt expect.  Thanks taters.  I really appreciate you.  Thanks thugnar. 

Im content with my level of skill.  I like my grain prep better than bods frankly and i can finish a jar in 7 days flat.  Ive satisfied with my agar techniques and i havent contammed a plate in literally hundreds of plates.  I can wrap a plate in clingwrap faster than any  man alive and i count my word as  probably my greatest asset.

OfflineB Traven
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central Megalopolis
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: BeefSupremeJr] * 1
    #28179107 - 02/09/23 09:20 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Ok, but can you successfully spawn to coffee grounds?

My grain prep has gotten so oddly specific now, including the purchasing part, with everything dialed in to the exact equipment I have in my kitchen. I think I even know how many dishes and bong rips I can do while waiting for the grain to boil. Maybe I'll write it all up lol

--------------------
Beware of advice- even this.

OfflineBobgas
Master of Mistakes

Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: BeefSupremeJr] * 3
    #28179113 - 02/09/23 09:23 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

BeefSupremeJr said:

You will experience things that most deep-diggers will not.  You will have skills that all deep-diggers will not.

None of it matters - none of us are getting out of here alive. Admiration is noble and enabling. Jealousy is futile and destructive.

You can grow mushrooms that have the intended effect.

Enjoy the ride.

--------------------
πŸ…ƒπŸ„΄πŸ„°πŸ„Ό  πŸ„²πŸ„»πŸ„ΈπŸ„½ πŸ„ΆπŸ…†πŸ…πŸ„°πŸ„Ώ

OfflineBeefSupremeJr
Detritivore
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: B Traven] * 1
    #28179121 - 02/09/23 09:25 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Im super specific too.  i have a picture of my stove knob settings i set before leaving it to swell the grain.  I go to the gym and run.  it takes over 3 hours to swell grain my way but i dont get s single burst grain.

OfflineBobgas
Master of Mistakes

Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: Bobgas] * 1
    #28179124 - 02/09/23 09:26 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

My confession is that I have way more supplies than I'll ever need, or use.  I bought a lot of stuff thinking stuff is what was needed to successfully grow. 

I have since become a minimalist and need to toss the crap that simply is clutter.

--------------------

OfflineBeefSupremeJr
Detritivore
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: Bobgas]
    #28179127 - 02/09/23 09:27 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Bobgas said:
Quote:

BeefSupremeJr said:

You will experience things that most deep-diggers will not.  You will have skills that all deep-diggers will not.

None of it matters - none of us are getting out of here alive. Admiration is noble and enabling. Jealousy is futile and destructive.

Enjoy the ride.

damn bob.  You say some SCHTUFF sometimes you know it?

OfflineBobgas
Master of Mistakes

Re: Cultivation confessional [Re: BeefSupremeJr] * 1
    #28179130 - 02/09/23 09:28 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

BeefSupremeJr said:
Quote:

Bobgas said:
Quote:

BeefSupremeJr said:

Enjoy the ride.

damn bob.  You say some SCHTUFF sometimes you know it?

I am old and have made far too many mistakes. 

I am almost at the point where I can fart anywhere and not care ... almost.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies