Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon Hemp, Portable Greenhouse, Scales, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
bulk humidification meathod
    #2817499 - 06/22/04 04:40 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I was reading through a greenhouse book and saw a method to cool and humidfy a greenhouse simmilar to my design. The only change's i made was i would say using a fiberglass or foam meah rather then a cotton or hemp mesh as in the book, since hemp and cotton will enhibit growth and release mold spores. Also they just had a box fan blowing from behind, but the motor wouldnt last long in the high humidity. You could have a box fan with belt drive and teh motor outsdie teh room but not everyoen can get there hands on a industrial beltdrive boxfan for cheap. This uint is drawn as recurculating but you can add in a second blower to add in fresh outside air too. Im not sure if you could run it with only a fresh incoming air and no recurculation becuasuse i doubt it can bring the humidty up to 90% with one pass.

Edited by Gr0wer (06/22/04 04:42 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: bulk humidification meathod [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2817513 - 06/22/04 04:45 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

If you dont get how it works, The botom is the rez and collector, the rio pump pumps up the pvc to the holes allong the top. The water drips down the fiberglass or foam screen with air passing through so it humidifys the air.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #2822660 - 06/24/04 01:06 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

That's called a swamp cooler. The higher the humidity and the lower the temperature, the less effective it is. Swamp coolers are not uncommon in place of traditional air conditioning in some parts of the us, particularly where the humidity is usually/always low (like the midwest plains).

It would not be a practical solution for a mushroom growing environment as it would be difficult/impossible to raise the humidity to the desired levels.

The principle is also the same as found in wick based cool mist hummers, which are also nearly univiersally avoided by small scale cultivators due to their sub par performance.

Good idea, but I don't think I'd waste the money unless it was simply used to precondition warm dry air before it got to the real humidity and cooling systems.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineRuNE
bomberman

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: tartarus
    #2822663 - 06/24/04 01:06 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

If you dont get how it works, The botom is the rez and collector, the rio pump pumps up the pvc to the holes allong the top. The water drips down the fiberglass or foam screen with air passing through so it humidifys the air.

Ah.  :thumbup:

:sun:

--------------------
~Happy sailing~

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: bulk humidification meathod [Re: mycofile]
    #2822671 - 06/24/04 01:09 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Also, just to add to the design, using a material which will actively wick the water will often negate the need for the water pump entirely, depending rate of evaporation and size of the unit. I've seen house sized systems capable of maintaining comfortable temperatures which were entirely passive other than the fan.

--------------------

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #2822700 - 06/24/04 01:27 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Ultrasonic foggers make misting nozzles redundant in the growroom. Working off of that diagram, just scale it to your needs, ie. fan speed, humidification needs, length of ducting. Calculate fan speed by multiplying the volume of the room times air exchanges needed. This gives you the cf/h. But most fans are rated in cfm, so divide by 60. For a small room you only need a one disc ultasonic fogger.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: bulk humidification meathod [Re: YidakiMan]
    #2822791 - 06/24/04 02:08 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

thanks mycofile!

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: bulk humidification meathod [Re: YidakiMan]
    #2836767 - 06/28/04 04:54 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Ultrasonic foggers make misting nozzles redundant in the growroom.

I don't think so. The humidifier in the image you just posted is in fact an ultrasonic humidifier. Other than humidity, mist nozzles also add water to the mushroom beds, can help lower temperature through evaporation, and can help clean air in the growroom itself.

Personally I agree with
Quote:

Working off of that diagram, just scale it to your needs, ie. fan speed, humidification needs, length of ducting. Calculate fan speed by multiplying the volume of the room times air exchanges needed. This gives you the cf/h. But most fans are rated in cfm, so divide by 60. For a small room you only need a one disc ultasonic fogger.

I just think that mist nozles are not needed on small setups when misting itself is easy with a bottle. But I wouldn't say that for large commercial farms on the scale that diagram was designed for are just being redundant with the mist nozles although redundancy is important when millions of dollars of produce may be at stake if one system fails .

BTW, your welcome gr0wer.

--------------------

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #2836843 - 06/28/04 05:27 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks!

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #2889734 - 07/14/04 03:03 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I just built my mine but after lookin at all this its back to the drawing board

:mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: bulk humidification meathod [Re: KaptKid]
    #2890769 - 07/14/04 07:02 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Well, if you're going back to the drawing board, I'm a big fan of the ultrasonic foggers as used in FM's Closet Homer system and many other people's greenhouses.

Basically it goes Fan>Box/bucket/rubbermaid with fogger sitting in water>duct to terrerium.
If you want to allow for recirculating air as in the picture that yidaki posted, then the fan needs to be in a box itself with an opening for fresh air and a duct coming from the terrerium.

Something like:
Return duct from terrerium with valve>
Box with fan> box with fogger> terrerium
Fresh air inlet with valve>

well, that didn't work, couldn't figure out how to indent the text. Anyway, the middle line of those three should be indented to the end of the top and bottom lines. In other words the top and bottom lines feed into the middle line. Dig?

The fan runs continuously to allow constant airflow, the fogger is controlled by a timer or humidistat.

--------------------

Edited by mycofile (07/14/04 07:03 PM)

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
    #2891694 - 07/15/04 12:53 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

don't you think that the creation of these indoor enviroments play a big part in our future. it think its great that you guys are taking the time to write this stuff down.hell you never know the use of indoor enviroments might solve all world hunger.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: bulk humidification meathod [Re: Tomandjerry58]
    #2898914 - 07/17/04 03:02 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Hell yea, I'll put it to use when i go to dam. Make a walk in terrarium with 3 shelves with trays.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon Hemp, Portable Greenhouse, Scales, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology