Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Gypsum, Peat, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
My outdoor drum
    #2817360 - 06/22/04 04:05 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i took a fifty gallon plastic drum, and drilled lots of 1/8" holes in the bottom. Then i put in 5 inches of limestone driveway rocks, for drainage. Next added bout 5 inches of my homemade compost (horse and cow poop, wheat straw, yard leaves, peat moss, gypsum, beer, and grass clippings) then on top that put 2 inches soaked weat straw, then 1 qaurt colonized hominy. on top of the hominy went 2 inches cow poop, then more straw, then 4 qaurts colonised hominy, then at the very top theres a mixture of compost, soaked wheat straw, cow poop, and vermiculite.

couple questions about what i have going, is the composting effect of these materials going to produce enough heat to stop it from pinning, and will flies lay eggs in there and grow maggots that will eat all my mycel and stuff.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: My outdoor drum [Re: Psychoslut]
    #2819628 - 06/23/04 02:11 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

>is the composting effect of these materials going to produce enough heat to stop it from pinning
Hopefully not too much, composting materials can get up to 150?F and more.

>will flies lay eggs in there and grow maggots that will eat all my mycel and stuff.
Probably, yes. You could prevent them from by having a fine mesh on the top of the drum.

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
Re: My outdoor drum [Re: Anno]
    #2821222 - 06/23/04 03:53 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

thanks for the reply anno, ill be sure and get a screen over it.

--------------------

Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My outdoor drum [Re: Psychoslut]
    #2821782 - 06/23/04 07:01 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

You should haev done thinner layers or just mixed it all up. There's no advantage to layering substrate. straw guys only layer because if you try to mix spawn in it all falls to the bottom.

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
Re: My outdoor drum [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2830542 - 06/26/04 01:37 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

there is an advantage to layering, the staw is easier to colonise then poop, so you have poop sandwiched between 2 layers of straw and everything gets colonised fastest for fastest fruits.

dont talk unless you know.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Gypsum, Peat, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation