Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineesotericbound
Inquisitive Soul
Male

Panaeolus Cyanescens multispore growth on agar appearance?
    #28169274 - 02/02/23 02:45 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I'm hoping people experienced with pan cyans can tell me what I may be dealing with on these pan cyan agar plates.  My experience has been with cubes so far, and I generally have high success/low contam rate with my setup and methods, but these agar plates don't look right to me, especially the ones with more brown areas and droplets on the surface.  These are from Panaeolus Cyanescens Jalisco Mexico spore prints.

--------------------
"...If you have any kind of intellectual filter at all, you quickly can satisfy yourself that our best efforts are nothing more than half completed stories told around the campfire; we don't actually know what our predicament is."  -Terence McKenna

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAspectOfTheCreator
Mastering the Art of Success
 User Gallery

Re: Panaeolus Cyanescens multispore growth on agar appearance? [Re: esotericbound]
    #28169413 - 02/02/23 04:11 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I'm somewhat new to agar so take what I say with a grain of salt. I got a good number of Pan Cambo plates going. You're correct in that those plates definitely don't look right. My pan cambo growth has all been thick, white, fluffy growth. Very cloud-like

On BRF agar

blue is potato flake/corn syrup agar, the clear agar is LMA. It's grown more or less the same on each.

Are those from transfers? MSS? Streaks?

--------------------

Edited by AspectOfTheCreator (02/02/23 04:12 PM)

Offlineesotericbound
Inquisitive Soul
Male

Re: Panaeolus Cyanescens multispore growth on agar appearance? [Re: AspectOfTheCreator]
    #28169457 - 02/02/23 04:37 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

These are from recently acquired spore prints, no streaks, literally scraped off the foil (seems to work as good/better than streaks ime).  The same time I did these, I also did some from pan cyan texas print, and those I think are fine (just white fluffy), which leads me to think there was contam on the jalisco print.  It's all done with big flow hood and torched scalpel, 70%IPA, etc.  I guess I'll try again from print, and also transfer from best looking of these plates.

--------------------
"...If you have any kind of intellectual filter at all, you quickly can satisfy yourself that our best efforts are nothing more than half completed stories told around the campfire; we don't actually know what our predicament is."  -Terence McKenna

Invisibleruawakeyet
 User Gallery
Re: Panaeolus Cyanescens multispore growth on agar appearance? [Re: esotericbound]
    #28169477 - 02/02/23 04:47 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Where does the 70% IPA come in to play when using a FH and flame sterilization?

Offlineesotericbound
Inquisitive Soul
Male

Re: Panaeolus Cyanescens multispore growth on agar appearance? [Re: ruawakeyet] * 1
    #28169484 - 02/02/23 04:52 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

IPA just for sanitizing myself, work area, bags of the petri dishes before opening etc....

--------------------

Invisibleruawakeyet
 User Gallery
    #28169488 - 02/02/23 04:54 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Ok, just checking.

User Gallery

#28169538 - 02/02/23 05:32 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Try to reinoculate another dish and this time take a transfer ASAP rather than letting it grow out.

--------------------

Offlineesotericbound
Inquisitive Soul
Male

Re: Panaeolus Cyanescens multispore growth on agar appearance? [Re: AspectOfTheCreator]
    #28169576 - 02/02/23 05:56 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I think I understand the objective, and would work if mycelium was there first, but the contam appeared almost before the mycelium on these dishes.  I'll try though...

--------------------

InvisibleBaba Yaga
Fomo Kills The Cat

Loc: Try 'n' Error Boot Camp
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Panaeolus Cyanescens multispore growth on agar appearance? [Re: esotericbound] * 1
    #28169638 - 02/02/23 06:45 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Are you incubating these plates or keep at room temp?

Offlineesotericbound
Inquisitive Soul
Male

Re: Panaeolus Cyanescens multispore growth on agar appearance? [Re: Baba Yaga]
    #28169658 - 02/02/23 06:59 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

maintaining temp @79-80°F

--------------------

InvisibleBaba Yaga
Fomo Kills The Cat

Loc: Try 'n' Error Boot Camp
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Panaeolus Cyanescens multispore growth on agar appearance? [Re: esotericbound] * 1
    #28170233 - 02/03/23 03:15 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

How are you maintaining the temperature? Are you heating the room or are you using a heat mat or similar?
I'm asking cause the first thing that popped into my mind when seeing your plates was that they are kept too warm.

Offlineesotericbound
Inquisitive Soul
Male

Re: Panaeolus Cyanescens multispore growth on agar appearance? [Re: Baba Yaga]
    #28170453 - 02/03/23 08:14 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Interesting.  This is in a well insulated 8'x8' room with 600w heater at opposite side of room, regulated with separate temp controlled relay.  3 temp/humidity sensors in room recorded 78.3/81.5 min/max.  Does it look like a bacterial thing or just stressed out mycelium?  I'm wondering if there was something about the agar it didn't like.

I did some transfers from best looking sectors yesterday to agar with 1000ml water/8g MEA/4g potato starch/.4g peptone/ 18g agar, will see how they take

--------------------

Invisibleruawakeyet
 User Gallery
    #28170463 - 02/03/23 08:21 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I would simplify that agar recipe. Is that "8g MEA" premixed ME and A-A, or just ME? If it's premixed, plus the 18g agar agar powder, that is likely too hard.

For pans, (and practically everything else), plain ol' MEA works great. ME should be at 1% max, A-A should be as low as possible and still firm enough to take transfers.

These fancy recipes tend to make thicker growth that is more difficult to read on agar.

Offlineesotericbound
Inquisitive Soul
Male

Re: Panaeolus Cyanescens multispore growth on agar appearance? [Re: ruawakeyet] * 1
    #28170474 - 02/03/23 08:30 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Gotcha, it's essentially the recipe jakeoncid lists sans yeast.  I meant 8g ME (dried malt extract light).  Will try simple 1% ME next round.

--------------------

Invisibleruawakeyet
 User Gallery
    #28170480 - 02/03/23 08:36 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

That might be the only thing I disagree with Jake about. I tried a similar fancy recipe, and it was a nightmare for me. I've omitted all other ingredients and haven't looked back. The fanciest I get now is using different nutrient levels for different genuses/species.

Pans get 1% ME, Oysters and Mexicanas get 1.5% ME. If I grew cubes I'm guessing I would use 1.5% ME for them as well.

OfflineHindsight
Mad Scientist
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #28170503 - 02/03/23 09:06 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Good pan mycelium should look like this:

Offlineesotericbound
Inquisitive Soul
Male

Re: Panaeolus Cyanescens multispore growth on agar appearance? [Re: Hindsight] * 1
    #28170516 - 02/03/23 09:24 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Excellent, that certainly looks healthy, I'll keep trying.. Thanks for the input everyone

--------------------

User Gallery

Re: Panaeolus Cyanescens multispore growth on agar appearance? [Re: Hindsight]
    #28170812 - 02/03/23 01:51 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Is that a monoculture? Or is it multispore?

--------------------

OfflineHindsight
Mad Scientist
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Panaeolus Cyanescens multispore growth on agar appearance? [Re: AspectOfTheCreator] * 1
    #28170854 - 02/03/23 02:24 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

If you are asking me, it is MS. T1 transfer from spore germination plate.

Offlineesotericbound
Inquisitive Soul
Male

#28170858 - 02/03/23 02:26 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I wish it was monoculture; this is multispore from print.  My normal method with cubes is MS->agar->clone healthy looking fruit from agar to new dish->grain...

This is my first time with pans and not sure if they'll fruit as easily on petri so I'll probably just work toward an isolate and spawn that to grain, worry about cloning later

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract