Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinegun fuy
Stranger
Re: Pudin's Instant Pot Tek - pasteruization, sterilization, grain prep, and beyond [Re: cooleko]
    #28032083 - 11/04/22 02:43 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Quote:

cooleko said:
Id be concerned that the eco minute couldnt hold enough water for 1.5-3 hour sterilization runs at those temperatures.

Why cant you hold out for something bigger?

First I've heard of that being a problem, and plenty of others seem to have smaller PCs. Perhaps they're all 15 PSI ones?
But it's a worthwhile point to investigate, thanks.

I suppose the multicookers like IP and Foodi release less steam so that doesn't become a problem?

Edit - replying to the question in your reply
Don't want to get something bigger than that mainly for space and storage limitations in the appartement. That and I'm just starting out and don't plan on doing huge batches. I doubt that would become a thing but if it does it wont be for a few years and at that point I can invest.
Edit2 - add the quote of what i'm replying to

--------------------
"Most multispore projects will be more productive than most isolates. The differences is a FEW isolates will be killer, and those are the ones you want to save." - RR

Edited by gun fuy (11/08/22 04:42 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline4-HO-Gumbo
Aspiring Dry Drunk
 User Gallery

Re: Pudin's Instant Pot Tek - pasteruization, sterilization, grain prep, and beyond [Re: gun fuy]
    #28032111 - 11/04/22 03:22 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Here’s a study from 2018 assessing the ability of commercially available electric pressure cookers to neutralize autoclave test ampoules with Geobacillus Stearothermophilus spores, a thermophilic (clearly) bacteria

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6289433/

Only the instant pot was able to kill the spores
The test was done with the ampoule submerged in the water though, so it doesn’t directly correlate to mostly hydrated grains, but is scientific proof that it gets hot enough.
This wasn’t even the newest, best instant pot, just the ones capable of 12.x psi

“These results suggest that, depending on the nature of the work undertaken, store-bought pressure cookers can be an appropriate substitute for commercial autoclaves”

--------------------

The Cosmic FUCK YEAH with which we are all connected

Edited by 4-HO-Gumbo (11/04/22 06:42 AM)

Offlineschpat
psychesomadelic
 User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Re: Pudin's Instant Pot Tek - pasteruization, sterilization, grain prep, and beyond [Re: 4-HO-Gumbo]
    #28032157 - 11/04/22 04:35 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Even P9 will tell you that Instantpots will work to grow mushrooms, but they are not the optimal tool.  I totally get that and agree with him. You can still get good results for grain to bulk.

I've found that using crack's no prep millet in 1 quart jars for 180 min works really well.  Probably something to do with the small size of the grain.

--------------------

InvisibleEminence
Male

Loc: Richmond, VA
Re: Pudin's Instant Pot Tek - pasteruization, sterilization, grain prep, and beyond [Re: schpat]
    #28089373 - 12/08/22 08:29 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

I've been using my instant pot for a couple years just for master grain jars and sometimes agar or LC, but never tried pasteurization til recently. I got trich right when my pan cyans finished colonizing the bulk, but I also probably messed up because the OP says it took 3 hours TO GET to the right temperature all the way through, but I put it on warm for just 3 hours. So does that mean I should do 4-5 hours? I typically just do the bucket tek for coir but figured this would be good for just a small amount of horse manure.

--------------------

OfflineDharmaForKarma
Tub monkey
Male

Re: Pudin's Instant Pot Tek - pasteruization, sterilization, grain prep, and beyond [Re: Eminence]
    #28089411 - 12/08/22 08:41 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Eminence said:
I've been using my instant pot for a couple years just for master grain jars and sometimes agar or LC, but never tried pasteurization til recently. I got trich right when my pan cyans finished colonizing the bulk, but I also probably messed up because the OP says it took 3 hours TO GET to the right temperature all the way through, but I put it on warm for just 3 hours. So does that mean I should do 4-5 hours? I typically just do the bucket tek for coir but figured this would be good for just a small amount of horse manure.

in the op he sets it to Warm for 3 hours and that gets the internal temp to 165. If you like, add another half hour to test your theory of insufficient pasteurization. But that should be plenty of time. You could also pressure cook it but I’ve never tried that with manure.

Invisiblethelanzii

Re: Pudin's Instant Pot Tek - pasteruization, sterilization, grain prep, and beyond [Re: DharmaForKarma] * 1
    #28091095 - 12/09/22 10:02 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Awesome tek

InvisibleEminence
Male

Re: Pudin's Instant Pot Tek - pasteruization, sterilization, grain prep, and beyond [Re: DharmaForKarma]
    #28092780 - 12/11/22 02:01 AM (1 year, 3 months ago)

I know I'm saying if it takes 3 hours to get to the right temp, that isn't being clear that that is how long it takes to actually finish pasteurizing at that temp. I was just trying to be careful about adding time because I have read TC's say pasteurizing too long starts to kill off the good bacteria that helps keep it contaminant free. But then again I feel like when I do a bucket tek with coir, the boiling water stays at or above pasteurizing temps longer than it takes to pasteurize fully too, but I'm more concerned about manure contaminating than coir.

--------------------

Invisiblecooleko
Augmentum provocatus
 User Gallery
Loc: Seattle
Re: Pudin's Instant Pot Tek - pasteruization, sterilization, grain prep, and beyond [Re: Eminence]
    #28093175 - 12/11/22 10:34 AM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Coir doesnt have 'good bacteria' necessary to balance it out, it is expected to be completely inert. Manure needs the healthy balance of good bacteria to keep the system healthy and stable. That is why your coir can stay above 165 for longer than manure.

Offlinealexmorgan114
Alex Mack
Female User Gallery

Re: Pudin's Instant Pot Tek - pasteruization, sterilization, grain prep, and beyond [Re: cooleko]
    #28096679 - 12/13/22 11:02 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Thank you!!

--------------------
:mushroom2:

InvisiblePsillySeeEms
Stranger
Male

Loc: PNW
Re: Pudin's Instant Pot Tek - pasteruization, sterilization, grain prep, and beyond [Re: alexmorgan114]
    #28097158 - 12/14/22 11:47 AM (1 year, 3 months ago)

What would you guys say the best no pour agar containers for 6qt instant pot would be?

PP5 plastic ones? What size, and how many fit? Modded, non modded? Any recommendations?

I was looking at 6 packs of twist and lock brand from target, for about $3, but the are on the larger size..

I can't find a deal on non quilted smooth 4 oz ball jars, and willing to settle on the quilted ones if need be. Can't fit as many in the IP though.. What would be the best lids if I do get jars? Is it possible to make see through lids with clear pp plastic cut into circles, with the original rings?

I have old baby food jars, and could clean them up, fitting quite a few. Would I wanna cook with the lid loose, or drill a hole with MP tape, and cover with foil when cooking?

It would be nice to fit multiple smaller 2oz size plastic cups of some kind, which I'm guessing would fit way more per batch...

Wondering if there is a specific kind that are the best for the 6qt IP..

Thanks!

InvisibleEminence
Male

#28113644 - 12/27/22 05:49 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Well either way, I got trich again after putting some horse manure in the jars on warm for 6 hours. I only ever get trich with pan cyans, but it's also the only thing I really use manure for. I'm just gonna say fuck it and not even use manure I guess

--------------------

InvisibleFloret
Unmodify everything

Loc: underneath the water
Re: Pudin's Instant Pot Tek - pasteruization, sterilization, grain prep, and beyond [Re: PudinLicous] * 1
    #28151491 - 01/22/23 04:11 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Do you have the 6 or 8 quart instant pot? I have a six quart and it was impossible to fit more than two wide mouth quart jars using the grey plastic lids.

--------------------
LAGM 2024

InvisiblePsillySeeEms
Stranger
Male

Re: Pudin's Instant Pot Tek - pasteruization, sterilization, grain prep, and beyond [Re: Floret]
    #28156340 - 01/24/23 10:37 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

I got the 6 qt.

To answer my question above, I found that I can almost fit 15 of the Target brand twist & store containers. 14 of them fits perfect (with a little wiggle room) all stacked around on on the trivet, to give clearance for the vent protector under the lid.

I also found that the containers fit just right inside bush's baked bean cans, being as wide as they are. I was thinking I would use them like sleeves,just as long as I can fit 5 sleeves/cans in the pot side by side. Not sure on that yet, I'll have to get more baked beans first. I'll bend a can to make them all fit if needed, and use the shorter bush's bean can on the double stack. :thumbup:

The cans should be fine to pressure cook, correct? Think it would help, or better to just layer or wrap with foil?

Also, 5 of the smaller 16 oz pint jars fit like a glove:

Suppose I could safely sterilize just about any kind of grains inside those small jars in the IP, being as small as they are, right?

Edited by PsillySeeEms (01/24/23 10:45 PM)

InvisibleFloret
Unmodify everything

Re: Pudin's Instant Pot Tek - pasteruization, sterilization, grain prep, and beyond [Re: PsillySeeEms]
    #28164780 - 01/30/23 05:46 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Thanks, looks snug in there. Guess I need to switch over to pints.

--------------------
LAGM 2024

InvisibleFloret
Unmodify everything

Re: Pudin's Instant Pot Tek - pasteruization, sterilization, grain prep, and beyond [Re: PsillySeeEms] * 1
    #28164789 - 01/30/23 05:49 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

PsillySeeEms said:
What would you guys say the best no pour agar containers for 6qt instant pot would be?

I fit a 20 pack of holy grail no pours in my 6qt

--------------------
LAGM 2024

InvisiblePsillySeeEms
Stranger
Male

Re: Pudin's Instant Pot Tek - pasteruization, sterilization, grain prep, and beyond [Re: Floret]
    #28164866 - 01/30/23 06:37 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I did end up reading through the entire holy grail container thread, but went ahead and snagged the twist and store containers anyway, because they were like $2.50 a 6 pack, and conveniently at the store. They are the most durable looking of all the pp5 containers I could find off the shelf, way better than zip lock brand that cost even more for a 4 pack.

I had a pack of those HG's in my shopping cart too, but heard the lids might warp.. Not that is seems to matter though.. What brand did you choose? 

It does look like a 20 pack would drop right down in the 5 pint jars perfectly in stacks of 5.

I'll have to switch over soon as I get some experience in the ones I got

InvisibleFloret
Unmodify everything

Re: Pudin's Instant Pot Tek - pasteruization, sterilization, grain prep, and beyond [Re: PsillySeeEms] * 1
    #28167969 - 02/01/23 06:34 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Prob got the same ones you have in your cart. From what I read, the lids warp if the seals are too tight, whether from not untwisting the 1/4" or stacking them too high.

--------------------
LAGM 2024

Offlinetbone8352
Gardener
Male

Re: Pudin's Instant Pot Tek - pasteruization, sterilization, grain prep, and beyond [Re: schpat]
    #28167991 - 02/01/23 06:45 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

YES! I love mine for all my mushroom sterilization and pasteurizing! Super easy and reliable!

--------------------
"You develop an instant global consciousness, a people orientation, an intense dissatisfaction with the state of the world, and a compulsion to do something about it. From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, 'Look at that, you son of a bitch.'"

Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 astronaut

Offlineomgflyingbanana
Stranger
Re: Pudin's Instant Pot Tek - pasteruization, sterilization, grain prep, and beyond [Re: tbone8352]
    #28182071 - 02/11/23 09:56 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Pudin seems to be using an 8qt in his writeup. I have the exact same media bottles and they don't fit upright in my 6qt Instant Pot. Time to look at Craigslist for an 8 quart model ahaha. I have a proper PC but it's inconvenient for making small batches of agar. Instant Pot is set and forget.

OfflinenXr
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Pudin's Instant Pot Tek - pasteruization, sterilization, grain prep, and beyond [Re: PudinLicous]
    #28188174 - 02/15/23 07:04 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I‘m trying to rule out some sterilization issues using the Ninja OM500/Foodie Max (might be similar to the ip).

I did a round 2:45h with 0.5l water, letting it vent until the pot closed the seal (swimmer) after around 20min. When opening there was only a little bit of water left in the folded towel i use as a rack. During the sterilization no steam was released.
Could this mean that there is insufficient water in the pot to produce sufficient steam i.e. use more water to begin with?

Pudin wrote no rack needed.  If i had the jar standing straight in the water would it boil the grain or rather prevent the steam from reaching the grain on the bottom of the jar?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds