Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: Best Linux/Unix Distribution? [Re: ]
    #2837335 - 06/28/04 08:45 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Best online book I've found.

http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html

1. Is probably because of using the VESA driver. I'm not sure if you can configure the vesa driver for 24 or 32 bit color and higher resolutions.

2. Which version of Debian did you install? When you initially boot from the CD instead of just hitting enter to install Debian you can type "linux26" and then hit enter to get the newest kernel. Might help a little.

3. no idea

4. Again what version of Debian? I ended up using the first two iso's of the newest version. If you want to play mp3s run Synaptic from the System menu and get xmms. It's a winamp clone that works great.

5. When you logout of X you'll probably end up at the Gnome Graphical Login or something like that. Click actions and shutdown. Then you have to type your root password in the box and click enter. That's it.

PS. ReiserFS is an excellent file system to choose when installing. It's faster than ext3 but also has journaling so you can recover from a power outage.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Best Linux/Unix Distribution? [Re: newuser1492]
    #2837356 - 06/28/04 08:54 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

yeah. i'm gonna try reinstalling.

if that doesn't help, i'm gonna try running knoppix from the hard drive. it worked great from CD... but maybe that's just because it was on the CD????

i couldn't find any info about installing knoppix to the hard drive... i've still got the partitions i created while installing debian (just a swap and then everything else).

Anonymous

#2837842 - 06/28/04 11:49 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

i've installed knoppix to the hard drive and everything's running pretty smoothly. i still want to figure out a way to spruce up the desktop. there's nothing wrong with it really... just the theme it comes with or whatever.

InvisibleMarioNett
Stranger
    #2838370 - 06/29/04 02:47 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I recommend trying out some alternative window managers and see what you like. They're lighter on resources and many of them look better than kde or gnome. My personal choice is enlightenment, but xfce, blackbox, and nextstep are also good.

It's crazy easy to install them with APT. Fire up Synaptic (the most useful tool on Debian besides apt-get itself) and play around with your packages.

Anonymous

#2841555 - 06/29/04 11:52 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

meh. now knoppix isn't mounting my cdrom or floppy drive right.

if i'm in KDE and i click the floppy or CD icon, i get an error message. it won't mount. if i mount it in the shell "mount /cdrom", it works, and then i can use it, but it won't mount just by clicking the icon in KDE like it should.

i have to say i'm pretty frustrated with all of this and i'm probably gonna go back to windows, at least until i have the patience to get all of the kinks worked out with linux (as well as learn how to actually take advantage of it). it looks like it has A LOT of potential, but until i've got time for it... i think it'll be windows.

Anonymous

Re: Best Linux/Unix Distribution? [Re: T0aD]
    #2848607 - 07/01/04 09:55 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

problem solved. you don't mount the drive, you mount the files on the drive... ah. i'm learning. no disk in drive = error message when trying to mount files.

i've seen people with these things that tell them CPU and memory usage in a graphical display thing. i want one.  :heart:

what is that called and where can i get it?

InvisibleMarioNett
Stranger
    #2849755 - 07/02/04 02:32 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

that's gkrellm.
http://www.gkrellm.net

But if you're still using debian (or a compatible distro, i.e. knoppix) you should use APT to get new software. "apt-get install gkrellm" or use synaptic if you're more gui-inclined.

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

#2853833 - 07/03/04 01:34 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

cb9fl said:
I read on linuxquestions.org that installing software on Gentoo takes quite a while since everything is built from source.

Unlike Debian where i can apt-get k3b or something. In Gentoo you would emerge k3b which would then compile the whole program.

I guess it's cool if you have the time to waste and want that much control getting the last drop of performance. Debian runs quite fast with no stability issues I've run into and I"m running the Sarge (unstable) version.

The install for Debian sucks though. KDE wouldn't even load till I did an apt-get upgrade. And I think just about the only NIC it recognizes is a 3com one. I had to manually install my Linksys.

there are PACKAGE based ebuilds also, which are precompiled.

The entire point of gentoo is every customizable option is there. There is nothing it DOESNT do. you can even install on DISTCC distributed network machines if you had that setup. I'd like to see debian do an install like that.

So yes, from source is the 'default' way beacuse its the most 'optimized' but its not the ONLY way and the manual, if followed step by step is simple enough for even the greenest of noobs to use and follow. I have had friends with ZERO unix experience what so ever install genoo with only minor hangups.

Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: Best Linux/Unix Distribution? [Re: Barbi]
    #2853872 - 07/03/04 01:58 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Oh yeah? well your Linux Distro sucks.

j/k I might try Gentoo one day. I was happy with Slackware due to it's simplicity and stability but it's package management sucked. Debian has been as stable as Slackware and it's package management is great.

But I may try Gentoo at some point just to broaden my horizons.

I have to say though, after switching to KDE from GNOME I'll never go back to GNOME.

Anonymous

Re: Best Linux/Unix Distribution? [Re: MarioNett]
    #2854059 - 07/03/04 03:18 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

that's gkrellm.

hmm. installation goes fine until it says "GTK 2.0 not found".

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #2854209 - 07/03/04 04:40 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Are you using Synaptic to install gkrellm? If so Synaptic should take care of dependencies.

Anonymous

#2854536 - 07/03/04 06:57 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

synaptic?

Offlinetomu
Surveyor

Loc: Oslo
    #2861933 - 07/06/04 05:48 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

apt-get install gkrellm

--------------------
"

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

General Interest >> Science and Technology