Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offline7mm_DeadS
Seeker of Knowledge
Male User Gallery

Potabllo substrate.%
    #28156126 - 01/25/23 04:32 AM (2 days, 6 hours ago)

I'm trying to find out the ratio/percentage of substrate for Portabello mushroom % straw to % horse manure. I need this so I can properly scale up my grow. I'm currently starting with a grow bag.

Will be doing Shiitake next. I hope.

Thanks.

--------------------
To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge.
Socrates

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Confucius

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefather_fungi
Mold Farmer
 User Gallery

Re: Potabllo substrate.% [Re: 7mm_Dead] * 1
    #28156521 - 01/25/23 02:05 PM (1 day, 20 hours ago)

Portabello aren't as straightforward as most other commonly grown mushrooms.

They are secondary decomposers and require a composted substrate.  Just straw and horse manure as-is pasteurized or sterilized in a bag isn't going to do it.

However, if you're going to use those two ingredients as part of a horse manure based compost then...

At pile make-up, you're aiming for a nitrogen content of 1.5-17% and a carbon:nitrogen ratio of 30:1.  Contrary to common knowledge, the horse manure's primary role in mushroom compost is more of a bacterial and microbe source to start the composting process rather than a raw material.

Straw, horse manure AND a nitrogen supplement will be needed.  Also, gypsum is always used in mushroom compost to improve the structure and improve air flow through the compost.

Agaricus culture is well documented and many sources are available both online and off.  The Penn State Extension website has a lot of good agaricus (Portabello, button, champignon, etc) culture information.

https://extension.psu.edu/basic-procedures-for-agaricus-mushroom-growing

The information regarding agaricus growing in The Mushroom Cultivator by Paul Stamets is solid.

It seems complicated, but don't let that deter you.  The descriptions of the commercial process seem difficult at best to replicate in a home/hobby setting.  The Phase II portion seems to me to be the most difficult to replicate, but there are ways around it that still work. Proper compost is probably the second most critical part.  The first being spawn.

--------------------
Agar and Liquid Culture Formulas

Equipment, Teks, Etc
FF Lid Tek

Edited by father_fungi (01/25/23 02:24 PM)

Offline7mm_DeadS
Seeker of Knowledge
Male User Gallery

Re: Potabllo substrate.% [Re: father_fungi]
    #28156649 - 01/25/23 05:33 PM (1 day, 17 hours ago)

So a simple online buy of the stuff needs time to decompose. With additives.

--------------------
To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge.
Socrates

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Confucius

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate