Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinematt66
Loc: Connecticut
timing strategy PLEASE HELP!!!!
    #2814812 - 06/21/04 05:35 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Here's the deal: I've got 10 B+ jars in my 86 degree incubator right now. Three are fully colonized, the others are at various stages of colonization between 25%-90%. The ones which are fully colonized have what to me looks like very healthy/agressive mycelium growth (I'm a relative newb, so all I can tell you is the cakes seem to have shrunk back a little from the perimeter of the jars and it's a bright white color with fuzzy balls of myc here and there extending from the purely cylindrical shape of the cake. I think I may see some knots, but I'm not exactly sure what these are supposeed to look like. These areas are differentiated from the rest of the colonized cake in that they are a more concentrated, solid white compared to the "tentacled" rhizomorphic growth elsewhere, but I don't really know what I'm talking about).

I'm moving out west exactly two weeks from today. I plan on boxing up my jars and mailing them ahead of me. So the ideal situation would be to arrive July 5th and have my package arrive as close to that date as possible (I think one way to send them takes something like 7-10 days). My main concern is that they will start pinning soon, and be overmature by the time I can get them out of the jars and into a fruiting chamber. I was thinking of taking them out of the incubator now and leaving them at room temp so the one's which aren't fully colonized don't colonize to fast and the one's that are colonized don't start pinning too early.

But I've also read that the 15 degree drop from 86 degrees in the incubator to 70 degree room temp is a sufficient "cold shock" to initiate pinning. I don't have the option of storing them in a fridge or at a temp lower than 70 degrees to delay colonization as it's summer here, and even in an air conditioned house, it's around 70 degrees.

So what do you think I should do? If I was to take a guess, I'd say take the ones which aren't fully colinized out of the incubator tonight so they don't colonize too fast, and maybe leave the ones which are fully colinized in the incubator the next couple days and then just mail them all out in a couple days so they arrive around the time I arrive (I have a friend who is out there already to recieve the package, but I don't want him to know what's IN the package).

I've heard of people letting their fruits grow right in the jars, but I'd like to maximize the harvest from each jar, in which case I'd really like to delay the pinning so they don't develope too quickly before I can get them into a nice humid terrarium where they'll have the proper environmental conditions to grow to their full potential. I'd appreciate any advice.

matt

--------------------
Truth is the daughter of time, time doesn't exist...
Truth cannot exist within the human convention of time- The Goat Hath Spoken

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: timing strategy PLEASE HELP!!!! [Re: matt66]
    #2814858 - 06/21/04 05:48 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

You can always case an dship them to set them back another two weeks. Jut buy gladlocks and case to the tops so the lids hold them togehter in shipping. When you get them in the mail patch and fruit :laugh:

Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

Re: timing strategy PLEASE HELP!!!! [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2815064 - 06/21/04 06:51 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

^^^
a little off subject but, Grower, could u help me with this.

i wanted to know if those microwaveable glad locks could be good for casings. i figured one half-pint PF cake crumbled into there would work. can they withstand boiling or pressure cooking? WHat is your expierience with them?

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: timing strategy PLEASE HELP!!!! [Re: 4hodmt]
    #2815095 - 06/21/04 07:01 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Just wipe with rubbing alcohol and fill, wraping the outsdie with foil helps when fruiting so they dont fruit under the casing or allong the sides. You would need a good 2-3 half pints of pf to fill a medium, square gladlock.

Offlinematt66
Loc: Connecticut
Re: timing strategy PLEASE HELP!!!! [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2815449 - 06/21/04 09:43 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

hmm, I didn't think of that. I've only tried casing once and it failed, but an added advantage of your idea is that I wouldn't have to pay all that extra shipping money due to the weight of the jars. So, you're saying I should crumble the cakes in ziplocs adding a 50/50 casing to the mixure maybe? How do I know how much 50/50 to use (per 1/2 pint crumbled cake)?

--------------------
Truth is the daughter of time, time doesn't exist...
Truth cannot exist within the human convention of time- The Goat Hath Spoken

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: timing strategy PLEASE HELP!!!! [Re: matt66]
    #2815471 - 06/21/04 09:48 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

DOnt mix in extra casing with pf because you already are mostly verm based so its pre rez effect. Just crumble up the cakes and dump em into gladlocks and case.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds