Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineOutsideOfMyMind
LSD Self Administrative Director
Male User Gallery

What kind of ssd do I need for my 2011 laptop? Update: Figured it out/design flaw
    #28142941 - 01/16/23 02:08 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Last father's day, I gave my step dad my old Dell Latitude E6410 laptop. I told him it has no operating system but has an unformatted 1 tb ssd inside of it. I got that ssd for free due to a mixup on newegg, long story.

Its been sitting on the upstairs counter this WHOLE time and he is just now getting to use it.

He gave me a thumb drive and I put the windows 10 installation on the thumb drive using rufus.

I formatted the ssd, put it back inside the laptop, but no matter what, the windows installation cannot find the ssd drive. What the hell?

I take the ssd out and I compare it to the HDD that was in there before and it turns out the ssd is literally a couple millimeters smaller in length compared to the HDD that was in there before.

So I need to know what kind of ssd my step dad needs to get so that it FITS correctly and fully connects to the pins inside of the laptop. I can't believe they make hard drives and ssd's millimeters smaller/bigger. Fucking pitiful.

So yeah my step dad will have to buy a new ssd to put in there.

I also noticed that the HDD has 4 little pins next to the other pins for the data/power cables. I noticed the ssd does NOT have these 4 pins, it's just the plastic casing instead. What are these 4 pins for and are they needed or not needed for an ssd? I'm so confused.

I've swapped hard drives all the time in other machines with no problem, I really have no clue why this ssd is literally like 2 or 3 fucking millimeters too small.

I unscrewed the bottom case off to see if I could maybe move the pins closer but there's a huge plastic cover covering the hard drive bay so that is a no-go.

--------------------

Edited by OutsideOfMyMind (01/16/23 05:14 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleburntkitty
 User Gallery

Re: What kind of ssd do I need for my 2011 laptop? [Re: OutsideOfMyMind]
    #28142948 - 01/16/23 02:12 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

I bet your ssd is fine, mess your boot up until it works. Im sorry not your boot but your bios. If it still doesnt work external and format it to ntfs or fat

--------------------
Hating America doesn't make one racist, it probably means they're the complete opposite. That's not it's name pilgrim

Shia wang a genius he just kept showing his soft til the paparazzi stopped following

Thought capitalism was suppose to stop these soviet union lines

If you give me herpes, Ill give you AIDs

What kind of sickness do they have for wanting the creative not creative. I can only imagine it's satanism

Edited by burntkitty (01/16/23 02:21 PM)

OfflineOutsideOfMyMind
Male User Gallery

Re: What kind of ssd do I need for my 2011 laptop? [Re: burntkitty]
    #28142965 - 01/16/23 02:25 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Quote:

burntkitty said:
I bet your ssd is fine, mess your boot up until it works. Im sorry not your boot but your bios. If it still doesnt work external and format it to ntfs or fat

I already formatted it first to fat, and then to ntfs, and both of those didn't work.

I don't think you're understanding. The physical size of the ssd is too small by literally 2 or 3 mm (millimeters) so the gold pins are not connecting completely. The ssd cannot even connect to the pins for the data/power cables on the motherboard.

--------------------

OfflineOutsideOfMyMind
Male User Gallery

#28142975 - 01/16/23 02:28 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Maybe I can try unscrewing the ssd from the outer plastic case and pushing it further into the socket and then putting the outer covering back and screwing it on. But then the ssd might not be secure since it will be unscrewed from the outer case. UGH what a nightmare.

--------------------

Invisiblestubb
Dahg Rastubfari
 User Gallery

Loc: Memory Flag
    #28143037 - 01/16/23 02:53 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Those four pins are just jumpers, what they do depends on the specific drive. 
What make/model is your weirdo SSD?

--------------------

OfflineOutsideOfMyMind
Male User Gallery

Re: What kind of ssd do I need for my 2011 laptop? [Re: stubb]
    #28143215 - 01/16/23 04:23 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Quote:

stubb said:
Those four pins are just jumpers, what they do depends on the specific drive. 
What make/model is your weirdo SSD?

I figured it out.

The ssd is thinner than the hdd that was originally inside. I realized that I had to turn the laptop right side up (instead of upside down like how I was trying) in order for GRAVITY to bring the ssd and connection pins to the bottom of the laptop.

I would say this is a design flaw. This laptop was probably designed for just a hdd or a hybrid drive. Installing the hdd is easy because the pins allign correctly, but since an ssd is thinner, you need to install it so that gravity brings it flush to the bottom of the laptop so it goes into the pins.

Windows 10 is installing right this second as I speak. I was able to see the ssd and I formatted it before installing it on the windows 10 installer.

Thanks anyway guys.

The brand of this ssd is some random ass chinese shit I've never seen before.

--------------------

Invisiblestubb
Dahg Rastubfari
 User Gallery

Loc: Memory Flag
    #28143860 - 01/17/23 01:58 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Glad you figured it out :thumbup:

Not a design flaw it's just a 7mm drive, your old HDD is a 9.5mm drive.  They make 2.5mm spacers for 7mm drives, some 7mm drives come with adhesive foam spacers.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix