Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineYouEnjoyMyself
PHiSH

Re: Phish on Letterman - Monday 21st [Re: Hooty]
    #2815865 - 06/21/04 11:44 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

i've heard a few people say that.

i don't know a whoel great deal about the beatles except they have some wonderful music. And i know a bit about them and what they accomplished and such, but i've heard a few people compare their endings.

--------------------
-Wash uffitze drive me to firenze

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Re: Phish on Letterman - Monday 21st [Re: YouEnjoyMyself]
    #2815900 - 06/22/04 12:03 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

It was awesome and the people in the windows were surreal... so were phish phans in Times FUCKING Square! I certainly thought about the Beatles Rooftop concert... but there were a few differences.

1. Phish had a permit.
2. The crowd could see Phish.
3. W I L S O N !

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Re: Phish on Letterman - Monday 21st [Re: Rose]
    #2819725 - 06/23/04 12:50 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

From the New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/22/nyregion/22phish.html

A Band on the Way Out Goes Broadway
By THOMAS J. LUECK

Published: June 22, 2004

t an urban crossroads where the going-out-of-business sale has been a perennial marketing tool, what is one to make of the rock band Phish, which has announced its own demise, showing up to perform free?

It did so yesterday, standing 20 feet above Broadway on the Ed Sullivan Theater marquee, offering a 45-minute show to a pulsating crowd on the sidewalks north of Times Square. Part of the performance was taped for broadcast later on "Late Show With David Letterman" at the theater.

Advertisement

"It's a publicity stunt," said Paul Jay, a 52-year-old Manhattan singer and songwriter who happened to pass by on his bicycle as Phish rehearsed "Scents and Subtle Songs," from its new album, "Undermind."

"They seem to be able to do a lot with two chords," said Mr. Jay, who was clearly unimpressed with the group's musicianship.

But that was a harsh view. The show was a crowd pleaser.

Phish, a four-man jam band often compared to the Grateful Dead both for its improvisational style and the devotion of its hard-core followers, attracted hundreds of fans to Broadway yesterday. The only notices were on the Phish and "Late Show" Web sites.

In an earlier Web message in May, Phish announced that it planned to disband after an extensive tour this summer, and its last performance is to be on Aug. 15 in Vermont, the band's home state.

The band kicked off the tour with two performances last week at KeySpan Park in Coney Island, which were to be its last in New York City.

But with a new recording, and an appearance on Mr. Letterman's show, is there room for doubt that Phish really plans to break up? The group did so once before, in 2000, but reunited two years later.

"This time, I think it's for real," said Rob Domanski, 27, a New Jersey graduate student who was on Broadway yesterday, as he had been at both Coney Island concerts, and two more in Saratoga Springs over the weekend.

"For me and my friends, it is a shock," he said. Once Phish is history, "it's like, what are we going to do?" he said. For many of those who happened upon the performance yesterday, unfamiliar with Phish's music and the band's powerful allure to its fans, the show was a welcome spectacle.

"This is all about the city's creative energy, and it should happen more often," said Tommy Thompson, 51, an actor who said he was only vaguely aware of the band before yesterday but stayed for their performance.

The true devotees, as most in the crowd were, not only danced but joined in the songs, singing lyrics from "Wilson."

One veteran of the Phish tours was Maureen Wallbeoff, 41, an executive of Planned Parenthood in Connecticut, who had attended both Brooklyn concerts, then traveled to one of the Saratoga Springs shows, before returning to Manhattan yesterday.

"This is just a mini snippet of a real show," she said the brief performance over Broadway, in which Phish dispensed with the improvisational versions of its songs, which can last more than 20 minutes. "But still, it's a great party," she said.

"For Phish, I think what this is about how they want to go out," she said. "And they are obviously going out on a high note."

And from the Dave Letterman Wahoo Gazette

http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/exclusives/wahoo/

ACT 5: Phish makes their way though the window to get to the Marquee.

PHISH: From their CD, Undermind, Phish performed ?Scents and Subtle Sounds.? After the show, they stayed on and played a few more songs:

"Scents and Subtle Sounds" (again)
"2001: A Space Odyssey"
"Wilson"
"Chalk Dust Torture"
"Tweezer" (twice)

And that was our show for Monday June 21, 2004.

I still swear, they played something else for their first song.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
Re: Phish on Letterman - Monday 21st [Re: Rose]
    #2820163 - 06/23/04 07:36 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

"It's a publicity stunt," said Paul Jay, a 52-year-old Manhattan singer and songwriter who happened to pass by on his bicycle as Phish rehearsed "Scents and Subtle Songs," from its new album, "Undermind."

"They seem to be able to do a lot with two chords," said Mr. Jay, who was clearly unimpressed with the group's musicianship.

Two chords  :lol:  He must of road by awful fast.  Publicity?  They could of pushed that kind of stuff a million times harder over 20 years.. Publicity stunt, haha, that guy sure was a tool, why would they add him to the article?

OfflineYouEnjoyMyself
PHiSH

Re: Phish on Letterman - Monday 21st [Re: Adom]
    #2820709 - 06/23/04 11:46 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

there is an article about them in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal that i'm reading right now. I'm halfway done, but they said they are calling it quits after there 2 night run at Alpine Valley.

--------------------

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Phish on Letterman - Monday 21st [Re: YouEnjoyMyself]
    #2820804 - 06/23/04 12:08 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

sure are a lot of uninformed people out there....

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

OfflineYouEnjoyMyself
PHiSH

Re: Phish on Letterman - Monday 21st [Re: Hooty]
    #2821451 - 06/23/04 02:54 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

yes there are.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom