Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAnonymousNewbie
Mad Scientist
Loc: England
Building awesome F.Chamber! Need Expert Opinion + few tips!
    #2810560 - 06/20/04 05:27 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

If you do not feel like reading when you get this, I would sell you my soul if you'll please just answer these few questions below that are in bold. I have only used pf-tek in my "experiments" so far, and its very labor intensive for the small fruits - but I'm about to tackle casing and I want to do it right! I'm building a fruiting chamber which I also need help with, described in more detail under "***PLAN**" but if your just a semi-nice person who doesn?t feel like reading much, here are the questions I really need to know right below this...

1.)Optimal Humidity (rh) level for casing Hawaiians during fruiting stage...?
2.)Optimal Temp. for above mentioned during fruiting?
!!! [Need same Optimal Temp./Humidity/gas exchange during colonization of casing material] !!! -{note: I'm not bulk colonizing, using jars}- the question refers too the what I've heard is something like "wait a 3 day period after uncovering the foil from fully prepared cased tray so tha mcy. can spread a lil, and then the tray goes into tha fruiting chamber"?
3.)Optimal Gas Exchange for above mentioned? Will my fan method described below work?
4.)Lighting casings?- "WHAT DO I DO!!!" Light cycle per day/type of light?
5.)What is the type of peroxide you mix in humidification reservoir so you don't have to change it every couple days? Like tha 71% or tha 91% and what is tha ratio of water -to- peroxide?

-I'm interested in myco. Although I am a newbie, but I've thought up what I think will be a very low maintenance / high yielding fruiting chamber to start using for Hawaiian casings or maybe golden teachers. If your about to read the below plans for it please give me feed back, and correct my errors on humidity levels/ temperatures.... and what not if you see any I repeat I am a newbie! So the "plan" which is described below is a detailed plan with detailed obstacles that I cannot figure out without your help.

**PLAN**

:Self Watering System - (Planning on using an ultrasonic humidifier in pulses to achieve about 85%rh which I hear is optimal for fruiting casings. Since I'm already planning on using timers with a modified [peroxide/water-mix] reservoir on the humidifier.

:Air tight large green Rubbermaid type container with a plexi glass window covering much of the containers lid(acting as a window for light). I will most likely use some sort of rubber binding around the lip to make the container's lid airtight.

:I am then going to run the ultrasonic humidifier threw a hose into the container and seal the hole with hardening plastic appoxi so that only the "mist" or whatever will enter the container. I am not sure where on the container I should run the humidity into - I'm thinking near the top of the chamber between the lid and the drip shield would be good for casings. I will of coarse run some tests to see what kind of time schedule I need to put the humidifier on for optimal humidity, but I cant do that until I set up an automated gas exchange system for the chamber. The reason being I'm planning on using fans, which I've heard will definitely draw humidity out side the chamber via the fan vents. NEED HELP WITH THIS!

: Then with the fruiting chamber air tight except for the humidity flow hose which is running in between the drip shield and the lid window. - I think I could drill 2 sections out of opposite sides of the chamber and insert 2 small yet more powerful than a computer fans (cause I read they aren't powerful enough to pull oxygen through a filter), one pointed in and one pointed out / with some sort of filter, hepa maybe, but I think changing coffee filters over the small fan vents on the outsides of the chamber about once a week would keep contams out. What do you think? If I set some semi-powerful fans in the chamber like that and ran them at the same time maybe like 5 times a day for like 10mins on a timer - could I still keep my humidity levels at the proper amount for casing with these fans changing air 5 times a day while still achieving a perfect amount of oxygen for tha lil guys?

***If you think this sounds like a good idea, where would you place the fans (closer to ground of chamber or tha lid)? I think oxygen rises while bad gasses fall, so I assume put tha intake fan right below the drip sheild and the exaust fan towards the bottom of the container...? No worries about water from tha humidity clogging tha exhaust fan, cause I'm going to put the chamber on stilts with a 1 way drip valve appoxi'ed to tha bottom. And a chrome rust proof barbeque grill is going to keep the cased trays about an inch of tha floor of the container.
If someone who knows what they are talking about is willing to read through all my bad grammar and crazy ideas and help answer some of my questions, and correct me where I'm wrong/confused - I will be more than happy to make a step by step pictoral-tek of my finished project chamber and let whoever wants to post it up go for it? SOMEONE OUT THERE PLEASE HELP ME FAST, YOU CAN EVEN NAME THE fruiting-tek after your great grandma and take credit for the process and extreme detail I will put into it - if that?s what it takes for me to get some help.

Sincerely,
The anonymous newbie! Email: anonymous_newbie@yahoo.com
Thanks? PEACE!
anonymous_newbie@yahoo.com

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Building awesome F.Chamber! Need Expert Opinion + few tips! [Re: AnonymousNewbie]
    #2811250 - 06/20/04 01:15 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

>1.)Optimal Humidity (rh) level for casing Hawaiians during fruiting stage...?
Pinning stage: 95-100%
after pinning: 90%

or 95% throughout.

2.)Optimal Temp. for above mentioned during fruiting?
around 75?F

3.)Optimal Gas Exchange for above mentioned? Will my fan method described below work?
A few air excanges per days suffice.

4.)Lighting casings?- "WHAT DO I DO!!!" Light cycle per day/type of light?
Natural or white flourescent a few hours a day.

5.)What is the type of peroxide you mix in humidification reservoir so you don't
have to change it every couple days? Like tha 71% or tha 91% and what is tha
ratio of water -to- peroxide?

30% peroxide, 1 part to 100 or even less.

OfflineAnonymousNewbie
Mad Scientist
Loc: England
Re: Building awesome F.Chamber! Need Expert Opinion + few tips! [Re: Anno]
    #2811445 - 06/20/04 03:45 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks Anno,
So 90%(rh) during fruiting wont flood my casings? I was under The impression i needed somewhere closer to 80% (rh). But if that is tha optimal humidity thats awesome - cause that would be perfect for my first run on this chamber, half cakes/half casings. I want to see which will work better for me in this chamber.

-Is running the ultrasonic humidifier to flow out between my drip sheild and the lid of my container a good idea?
I thought it might regulate tha chamber by pushing oxygen down along while slowing down tha ammount of direct humidity that hits my casings? What do you think?

-If the fans i put in are too strong, like so that when they are on i can feel a breeze throu the middle of the chamber - will that hurt tha lil guys? note:the breeze will be filtered air... but im sure it will mess with the pressure or somthing of that nature.

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: Building awesome F.Chamber! Need Expert Opinion + few tips! [Re: AnonymousNewbie]
    #2813133 - 06/21/04 03:46 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I wouldnt consider coffee filters to be a dependable filter to prevent contams in your system. They will do a good job of keeping dust out but the contams can get through especially since you will be forcing the air through with the fans. Tyvek is a better alternative in filtering air flow within the f. chamber. You will need the exhaust as close to the surface of the substrate as possible ,just as you said,in order to get rid of co2 in the most efficient manner. Dont forget to tape a filter over the air intake on the ultrasonic as you dont want contamed air mixing with your mist.

Im not sure how powerfull the fans are that you talk about using,but IMHO computer fans would do a good job. Your fans will probably be fine as long as they arent run very long as you will certainly achieve total air exchange within the chamber very quickly and any more than that would just be overkill.

As Anno said,a Rh of 90% will be very good for the casings and you dont have to worry about oversaturation. I have known many to go with this % and mix casings and cakes with great success!

Good Questions!
Good Luck and Welcome to the Shroomery!

MYKEY

Edited by Mykey (06/21/04 10:22 AM)

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Building awesome F.Chamber! Need Expert Opinion + few tips! [Re: Mykey]
    #2837778 - 06/28/04 09:26 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Polyfill is an easier if your using Rubbermaids.

Oh and i would sudjest against rubbermaids, if your looking for an awsome terrarium.. Try a small green house from wal mart/gardening center.. Or a large fishtank..

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Building awesome F.Chamber! Need Expert Opinion + few tips! [Re: Legoulash]
    #2837876 - 06/28/04 10:10 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Clear bins are prey cool for a rerrarium anc cheaper then a fishtank, unless buying used. YOu can easily see your water level at teh bottom if using hydroton or pearlite, and they look real clean looking too. I know I dont have the room for a green house setup. If your using a clear terrarium in a living space you dont really need an extra light.

Offlinestargazer

Loc: Hell's theater
Re: Building awesome F.Chamber! Need Expert Opinion + few tips! [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2869995 - 07/08/04 07:12 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

or you can just use a martha stewert closet. or just any size plastic clothing closet. they have zipper for entery and are easy enough to build a pvc support inside for shelves to hold either aluminum baking pans or plastic containers. once i did this i never looked back at rubbermaid containers. i would definetaly give it a search

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Building awesome F.Chamber! Need Expert Opinion + few tips! [Re: stargazer]
    #2870253 - 07/08/04 08:16 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

what forum am i in again?!?!

Offlinedoug_E_fresh
the shroomerysrapper

#2876051 - 07/10/04 02:20 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Good tip stargazer.
What your trying to do man seems like so much work for so little space. Take a few minutes and read this link, you wont be disipointed.
The Martha

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
    #2876404 - 07/10/04 05:08 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

if you're casing, you really only need the humidty around 85. the casing layer takes care of the moisture, for the most part. That's what it's there for. I let mine swing between 70 and 100.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder