Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Malt Extract, Peat, Petri Dish, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rogue's Island, USA
Trouble with King Stropharia
    #2810396 - 06/20/04 04:21 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I have been having a devil of a time making sawdust and grain spawn of S. rugoso-annulata . My first attempt was doing liquid inoculation of grain from a petri culture. It grew anaemically for a bit (as it is reported to), even with frequent shaking, but after about 3 weeks it just stalled, and bacterial contamination appeared to take hold. For my second attempt, I obtained a bag of wood chip spawn and tried to expand it by inoculating four bags of sterilized sawdust. After two weeks, there appears to be some growth on the original inoculum chunks, but the mycelium doesn't seem to want to "leap" onto the alder sawdust.

I understand that this species grows slowly under sterile conditions, but this seems a bit tooooo slow. I have 100 lbs. of woodchips just aching to be inoculated, and I'm afraid I'm goin to miss the season if I don't get some spawn going very soon. Any ideas for jump-starting my sawdust spawn would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Visit the Psychonautical Society

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Trouble with King Stropharia [Re: Basidiocarp]
    #2810504 - 06/20/04 05:54 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I had the same problem when I made spawn in jars of WBS.
The mycelium really grew slowly.
But then I chopped up some cuttings from apple trees and willows and boiled them.
When I put the SRA spawn on this substrate under non sterile conditions it started to grow really fast. It even outraced some green mold.
I am not really sure what your problem with the alder sawdust is, but maybe it is too fine or too sterile ?
Maybe you could try to boil some of your wood chips and inoculate them?

Invisiblearmedia
Dikaryon

#2810629 - 06/20/04 08:48 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I have not had trouble growing out this species (as far as I know, the strain making the rounds is the one I collected 2 years ago). It doesn't grow so quickly on grain spawn, but when I have moved it to wood (sterilized alder chips) it grew out quickly, provided the bag was shaken frequently. It seems to take off once placed in a non-sterile environment; I have a 100# alder chip box getting ready to fruit right now.

How does your strain look on agar?

- Armedia

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Trouble with King Stropharia [Re: armedia]
    #2810659 - 06/20/04 09:16 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

yeah, I think it is your strain I mentioned in the posting above.
On PDYA it grows slowly. But it is ok.

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Re: Trouble with King Stropharia [Re: armedia]
    #2811180 - 06/20/04 02:43 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

armedia said:

How does your strain look on agar?

The first strain grows quite slowly on MEA agar, and never really colonized the entire plate. There were 2 large patches of flat, white, non-rhizomorphic mycelium on the agar that didn't quite cover the whole surface. This was the first strain I used to inoculate the rye grain.

My second strain has not been on agar yet. I simply ordered the wood chip spawn (which looked healthy) and tried to expand it out into sawdust.

Given this species' co-dependence on bacteria for robust growth, I'm thinking about adding a tiny bit of peat moss or something to one of the bags to stimulate growth. Of course, I'd then be worried about a massive green mold attack. Any thoughts on a better material than peat moss to safely introduce some beneficial soil bacteria into the spawn bags?

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Invisiblearmedia
Dikaryon

#2812107 - 06/20/04 11:07 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

SRA does not exhibit rhizomorphs until it gets into beds, in my experience (which it then does quite spectacularly).

I don't have any suggestion. Did you get the back from FP? I have had no luck with their SRA at all, it looked good, but never really grew out.

I wish I had some suggestion for getting your bed established quicker, but I think your best bet will be to grow out that first strain on rye (qt jars) and inoculate bags of chips. I often find that, for spawn, sterilizing the chips gives better results. These can then be added to non-sterile wet chips.

- A

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Re: Trouble with King Stropharia [Re: armedia] * 1
    #2812719 - 06/21/04 01:47 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

armedia said:

I don't have any suggestion.  Did you get the back from FP? 

The chip spawn is from FP, yes.  My last-ditch effort was to take the few handfuls of left-over colonizsed FP chips (been in my refrigerator) and mix them with some fresh ships outside in a very small bed.  Perhaps with some luck and good care I will be able to expand it gradually by adding more chips, assuming the darn mycelium actually "takes."

This is my second year working with SRA from FP with ZERO luck.  Hmmmmmmmm.    :thumbdown:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Malt Extract, Peat, Petri Dish, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms