Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinegdfthr
Stranger
Mold ergot
    #28096595 - 12/13/22 09:00 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

How long can mold in general for example ergot survive without oxygen like in a vacuum or not exactly but with no air ?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineYouDontKnowMe
Stranger
Re: Mold ergot [Re: gdfthr]
    #28119647 - 01/01/23 05:29 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

I know certain spores can survive the vacuum of space i suggest you look into "Panspermia" pretty cool theory.

OfflineNichrome
I'm a torso!
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Zone 5
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mold ergot [Re: YouDontKnowMe] * 1
    #28126593 - 01/05/23 09:21 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Ergot is not mold. Ergot is ascomycota and forms complex mycelium. Space is not a vacuum and there are a lot more factors than just air or temperature that affect the longevity of spores. Space is likely full of fungi. Most spores could handle space just fine if they can get there, especially all trapped up in some frozen water.

I keep a lot of various fungi banked as liquid cultures in sealed containers. They last a very long time like that.

--------------------
“Tea is the magic key to the vault where my brain is kept.” – Frances Hardinge

InvisibleCreonAntigone
Stranger

Re: Mold ergot [Re: Nichrome]
    #28127618 - 01/06/23 03:56 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Nichrome said:
Ergot is not mold. Ergot is ascomycota and forms complex mycelium. Space is not a vacuum and there are a lot more factors than just air or temperature that affect the longevity of spores. Space is likely full of fungi. Most spores could handle space just fine if they can get there, especially all trapped up in some frozen water.

I keep a lot of various fungi banked as liquid cultures in sealed containers. They last a very long time like that.

Yes liquid culture or slant storage can last a while when completely sealed. Some use the fridge to slow down the cultures to dormancy. I'm not sure how much that impacts longevity though.

For ergot, it forms an overwintering structure called a sclerotia, which is essentially dormant. An interesting fact is that some people on this forum have succeeded in getting living culture from pieces of sclerotia that were long ago cut and processed along with a grain shipment. Now they almost without fail have bacteria or molds that you'd need to isolate away from in those cases, but living ergot mycelium can be isolated in such cases generally. A study I read found that sclerotia which stay dormant can just live sitting on the soil for a period of 4 years, although most had become impotent by 5.

That's just ON the soil though - what if you preserved the sclerotia in a sealed contained? I'm just speculating here, but you may be able to use it for years later, maybe even 10 years later.

Edited by CreonAntigone (01/06/23 03:58 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder