Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: St. John's Wort

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
sobriety
    #2809583 - 06/19/04 09:54 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I've come damn close to making this into a Support Group Central thread but I'm not sure it's quite that desperate.
I started smoking weed three years ago. This past year I've let pretty much everything else fall out of my life except for pot. Needless to say it's been the worst year of my life. I've actually come to have some very profound changes in attitude regarding spirituality and some other stuff, mostly for the better. I guess I'll only have a broad perspective on this a few years later. As much as someone can become psychologically addicted to marijuana I'd become that way. Every bowl I promised myself was my last one, then the next day it'd be another. These past few months I think I've been getting better though. Flexing my willpowwer, abstaining a week here, a week there. Now it's been I guess at least a week since I last smoked. I don't really crave it physically anymore now and I fully understand the negative consequences of daily abuse.
The thing is, as I'm getting back to a sober lifestyle, I just feel the abscence of that regular burst of intensity weed can give a person.
Every time something cool happens somewhere in the back of my mind I have the thought "this is cool, but it'd be really cool if you were stoned." Wasn't that part of Half Baked? When I take a walk, or listen to music, or see a movie or read a book, I'm always cognizant of how much more real and vivid things seem while under THC's warm embrace. I don't know how to get past this logically. I wish I could just fully enjoy things for what they are again without worrying about how much more I'd be enjoying them if I were high.
I'd love to hear anyone elses thoughts about sobriety and these sort of issues.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleComfortably_Numb
FriendlyStranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Here (not everywhere)
Re: sobriety [Re: question_for_joo]
    #2809623 - 06/19/04 10:09 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I've had a rough year to, and I believe some of that can be attributed to weed. I know what you mean about "this would be so much cooler if I was stoned". It's only been a week - give it some time. Eventually you'll get used to to sobriety again. Getting stoned every once in a while is fun, but you will also learn to enjoy being sober. Also make sure you don't have any weed in your possession - it's too tempting to smoke it, and it will always be on your mind. Try finding things that interest you that will take your mind off weed.

OfflineSoDak_Stranger
Scurd
    #2809640 - 06/19/04 10:19 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

How do you find your dreams when you become sober...

When I completely sober up...I find myself to having the most vivid dreams...so clear...so good...I have found myself sleeping most of the day...just to dream because I enjoy my dreams so much...

InvisibleMellowMood
Dreamin Man
Loc: in the vast
    #2809979 - 06/20/04 12:38 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Im in need of a weed break as well. Its tough I love my little green buddies. But i know i will appriciate their warm love if i practice a little patience and will.  :stash: Clarity is key though.

--------------------
"Im a dreamin man
yes thats my problem
I cant tell when im
not being real"

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
    #2810006 - 06/20/04 12:47 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

It sounds like you enjoy the effects of pot on your perception. Though what are the spiritual reasons and negative consequences of daily use that are motivating you to quit. I am learning to do therapy with people giving up cannabis so I will give you some tips
Unfortunately,when you have regular thoughts about anything, they become habitual. A bit like practicing an activity like typing or driving, the more you do it, the more automatic it becomes. The same is true of thoughts - they are usually the same things you have thought often before and arise in response to cues in the environment. You need to go about changing them by deliberately thinking things that are more helpful. Like eg. This would be cool if I were stoned but I want to be able to enjoy things being straight again. Or you could probably find a better thing to say to yourself to replace it with.
With pot, you need to get the marijana metabolites out of your system to smoke socially again. It can stay in your system for up to three months at max if you are smoking A LOT.Or about 1 month average. So if you want to be able to successfully just smoke occassionally, you need to decide on a time betw 1 and 3 months and abstain for that short while before smoking again.
Also, the withdrawal symptoms including mild depression and anxiety can last for up to 6 weeks and your mood may not be fully back to normal for that time making it more tempting to smoke pot.
It can also be helpful to get rid of anything in your environment that reminds you of pot and burn insence to get rid of the smell. Even re-arrange the furnature and change the colour or intensity of the light bulbs so you feel like you are in a different place. If you are really serious you could also delete your dealers number and throw out your bong.
When you have a craving - it should last less than 30 minutes, so it can be helpful to put off making a decision about whether to smoke and distract yourself for 30 mins and decide whether to smoke later. Doing that will make the cravings last for shorter times and be less intense.
You could also pre-empt situations when you would be tempted to smoke and make a plan of how to deal with them so you are prepared when they happen, or else avoid them altogether.
Hope this helps.

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

Edited by enotake2 (06/20/04 08:40 AM)

Re: sobriety [Re: SoDak_Stranger]
    #2810592 - 06/20/04 08:18 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

The dreams get better man, more intense, but so do the nightmares. This morning I had a nightmare where I was fighting with my asshole brother, still reliving working for him and hating him and I took a swing and missed and he took a swing back at me and missed on purpose, just to laugh at me.

Re: sobriety [Re: enotake2]
    #2810602 - 06/20/04 08:25 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

That's all good advice enotake. I will try to abstain for longer, maybe until the end of July, and see how I'm doing then.

OfflineSoDak_Stranger
Scurd
    #2810901 - 06/20/04 12:17 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I too had a dream last night where I got into a fight was at a football game after party and I accidently fell into some dude...I apologized said I didn't mean it...he totally got everything together and pushed me back...so I grabbed him and threw him against the wall and pinned him there....was sooo fun...

Then I had a dream about my high school girlfriend...that one came out of nowhere...

Sober dreams are fun for me...

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: sobriety [Re: SoDak_Stranger]
    #2811359 - 06/20/04 04:40 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

it sounds like you're already making great steps for the better Question. Pot is an amazing plant, but if it's causing more harm than good it's better that you're abstaining for now. Remember that we're all here for you. Peace and Much Love Brother.

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

Invisiblesynthesis
everydayjunglist

Loc: va
    #2811509 - 06/20/04 06:36 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i've just started to get sober again after relapsing off alcohol for a week and smoking pot for a while (i have a drinking problem) i used to be a pothead when i was younger, and smoked every day for years but for the past 6 years i've been able to just toke every once in a while.. right now im sober, and dont even desire herb or alcohol at all and hope i don't drink again in my life.

one good thing to take to balance your mood out after a chemical dependency is St Johns Wort. i find drinking caffeine for me to stimulate my mind now. also start exercising and working out. go take a hike at a park or lift some weights. you will experience a natural high from that also. pick up a new hobby or sport. it will get better trust me, i  was just recently was sober from alcohol for a month and i started to really enjoy sobriety, its almost like a new high lol. im just getting back to that point now :smile:

some people, like myself just have an obsessive compulsive disorder. if it wasnt pot it was alcohol, if it wasnt hallucinogens then it was cocaine.. all my life.. for the past few months im trying to focus that disorder into exercise, art, making music and eating healthy instead of excessively abusing chemicals now.

--------------------
http://www.infowars.com

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
Loc: Ice patches that last for...
Re: sobriety [Re: enotake2]
    #2811533 - 06/20/04 06:48 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Very good advice!  :smile:

To the original poster:

Try to incorporate fun exercise into your day.  Bikeriding, rollerblading, hike, rockclimbing, swimming, etc.  Even if you choose to do only one of these, it will still make a noticeable difference when trying to quit.  Like someone said, exercise gives you a cool natural high.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: St. John's Wort

Community >> The Pub