Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineLornaShore
Traveller
Male

Loc: Maine
1st time grow, PE6 monotub (pics) - I have a some questions
    #28067163 - 11/24/22 05:47 PM (3 days, 23 hours ago)

Hi

First off, this is my first post and hopefully I am posting in the correct sub.

I started PE6 in 3 lb rye grain bag, took a while to colonize probably due to fairly low temps in the room. Some time elapses and it had begun to produce a couple fruits at the top. Moved to large tub with approx 10lbs of substrate (half BOOMR bag, half Outgrow manure based sub) no casing. The pics attached are at 25 days in tub (today). Do they look okay? I see some with veils broken, a lot with veils intact and many very young fruits that look like they probably have several days to go.

Should I try to harvest the individuals with broken veils while trying to leave the rest to grow? or can I just wait and give them ALL more time?

Fuzzy feet -- I know it's probably difficult to assess from the photos but does the sub appear too dry? It was very moist when tub started and there are still beads of moisture in places atop the mycelium at the surface, but a lot less than say a week ago. I've been fanning for the past couple days without adding extra water as there has been the beads of water i mentioned along with visible condensation on the lid. Should I have added water when I began fanning?

I would appreciate any helpful feedback and constructive criticism for a rookie looking to improve :grin:

TY !

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebigfootscreepyuncl
Stranger

Loc: Gamehenge
Re: 1st time grow, PE6 monotub (pics) - I have a some questions [Re: LornaShore] * 2
    #28067313 - 11/24/22 07:44 PM (3 days, 21 hours ago)

First off, welcome to the forum! That's a nice lookin' tub, congrats!

Quote:

LornaShore said:
Hi

First off, this is my first post and hopefully I am posting in the correct sub.

Yep, you're in the right place!

I started PE6 in 3 lb rye grain bag, took a while to colonize probably due to fairly low temps in the room. Some time elapses and it had begun to produce a couple fruits at the top. Moved to large tub with approx 10lbs of substrate (half BOOMR bag, half Outgrow manure based sub) no casing. The pics attached are at 25 days in tub (today). Do they look okay? I see some with veils broken, a lot with veils intact and many very young fruits that look like they probably have several days to go.

The long colonization time was probably due to some sort of contamination because I'm assuming you shot a spore syringe into the grain bag. Spores also take a lot longer because they have to germinate. How low were your temps? cubes can handle low 60's pretty well but it will slow them down quite a bit. Your mushrooms look great though! As far as the veils breaking you have a couple options: you can harvest them as they mature, you can let them all mature a little bit longer. Personally, I'd harvest them all now but that's just me. I don't like when the caps open all the way unless I'm collecting spores. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't matter at all when you harvest - they don't lose potency when the veil breaks or anything, likewise, by letting them reach full size doesn't necessarily mean you get a bigger dry yield. This is your hobby, we're just paid actors in the simulation.

Should I try to harvest the individuals with broken veils while trying to leave the rest to grow? or can I just wait and give them ALL more time?

I answered this above, but to paraphrase: harvest whenever you want :shrug: if you want to collect spores you need to let the caps open all the way but if you just want to have a snack then I like to harvest them before the caps open up.

Fuzzy feet -- I know it's probably difficult to assess from the photos but does the sub appear too dry? It was very moist when tub started and there are still beads of moisture in places atop the mycelium at the surface, but a lot less than say a week ago. I've been fanning for the past couple days without adding extra water as there has been the beads of water i mentioned along with visible condensation on the lid. Should I have added water when I began fanning?

I would not consider those to be 'fuzzy feet', and even if they were, fuzzy feet don't make a difference at all. I think they're just as much genetic as they are environmental. My AA+ variety gets fuzzy every single time I run them no matter what I do to try and prevent it. The substrate does look a little dry but there's not much you can do about that when there are fruits on it. Misting is NOT a good way to hydrate a dry substrate - misting is for maintaining surface conditions to aid in pinning. If you substrate is drying out then you either didn't have it properly hydrated when you made your tub or you have too much fresh air exchange (FAE). STOP FANNING YOUR TUB!! STOP IT! Fanning is useless, in fact, it's detrimental. I'm willing to bet it has a lot to do with why your substrate is drying out. Your monotub is an 'automated' tub. Just let it do it's thing. STOP FANNING!

I would appreciate any helpful feedback and constructive criticism for a rookie looking to improve :grin:

I'd say for your first tub you knocked it outta the park, well done! You made a couple rookie mistakes but I think you'll learn from them and do even better your next time around :thumbup:

TY !

OfflineLornaShore
Traveller
Male

Re: 1st time grow, PE6 monotub (pics) - I have a some questions [Re: bigfootscreepyuncl]
    #28067358 - 11/24/22 08:24 PM (3 days, 20 hours ago)

Thanks for that! Temps have been about 60-68 all around. It WAS a spore syringe to bag. And I will def stop fanning :blush:

When I first opened the substrate bags, I was able to squeeze water from them as is so I didn't add any water - maybe I should have misted a little before fruits appeared? But even when the myc started to appear at surface level, there was beads of water all over it so I assumed it was maybe more than saturated enough. And I was apprehensive about opening the tub before fruits appeared (still am really).

All the fruits right now are fairly small with the biggest being maybe around 4" in height. I know there are a LOT of factors like genetics, environmental etc, but I thought PE generally got a fair amount bigger. But if they look ready...

Also, it all appears to be growing in different stages - it looks like there is a lot of untouched substrate left for the mycelium and some patches appear to be no more than pinning. Should I leave those guys alone when I harvest the matured ones?

As for subsequent flushes, I did not use a liner so I'm not sure about pulling it all up to dunk - can I spray it thoroughly after 1st flush is out? and would that affect all the tiny fruits in a negative way if left behind to mature?

Sorry for the deluge of questions :laugh:

Stranger

Re: 1st time grow, PE6 monotub (pics) - I have a some questions [Re: LornaShore] * 1
    #28067566 - 11/24/22 11:24 PM (3 days, 17 hours ago)

Well, it sounds like your substrate material had adequate moisture in it. Fanning leads to a dried out substrate but you probably also have too much airflow in your tub. The polyfil in your holes can be difficult to dial in so you may have to play around with restricting airflow in the future. But, stop fanning first and see how it works. If it still dries out without fanning then you should look into adjusting your monotub.

You can open tubs while they're growing, you're not going to introduce contaminations that way so you can relax a little bit about opening it. The main problem with opening it (too much) is drying out or losing humidity in there. It's exciting to have your first project going but it's also very easy to fuck with it too much. More than once I've 'loved my project to death' lol.

You have healthy looking fruits, so be happy about that. As you said it there are a lot of factors involved in fruit size. PE6 is an extremely diverse variety, I don't think it has ever actually be stabilized so it's unpredictable. I've only ever seen big PE6 a couple times. They're almost always like yours. Incase you're wondering wtf I'm talking about, PE6 is NOT the same as PE, which DO typically get pretty huge. Easy mistake, but you've got healthy fruits so be happy about that!

When you're working from spores you'll typically always get mushrooms maturing at different times and locations throughout the tub. To get the uniform, dense flushes you need to be working with clones.

Harvesting is entirely you decision. Pick em when they're fully mature, pick em when they're small, pick some, leave others, pick em all. Totally your call. I tend to harvest them all at once so I can heavily mist the substrate and get it going for the next flush and only have to run the dehydrator once. But, if I had to make a recommendation I'd say to pick the big ones and let the rest fill in for another day or two. You can't make a a wrong decision though.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

OfflineLornaShore
Traveller
Male

Re: 1st time grow, PE6 monotub (pics) - I have a some questions [Re: bigfootscreepyuncl] * 1
    #28067711 - 11/25/22 02:04 AM (3 days, 15 hours ago)

Much appreciated. They’ve actually blown up a LOT since this morning. BIG open caps and more have gained some height. Going to give them the night and get them on the dehydrator tomorrow morning :smile:

Definitely appreciate the advice. Next run (APE on deck) will be even more solid. Agar, cloning, and all that are definitely in my future.

Edited by LornaShore (11/25/22 02:20 AM)

OfflineLornaShore
Traveller
Male

Re: 1st time grow, PE6 monotub (pics) - I have a some questions [Re: LornaShore] * 1
    #28068311 - 11/25/22 03:38 PM (3 days, 1 hour ago)

What a lovely blue. Not sure of my end weight, but all five trays are packed on the dehydrator.

Stranger

#28068559 - 11/25/22 06:59 PM (2 days, 22 hours ago)

:howyoudoing:

Very nice! Now just make sure you dry them long enough and store them in air-tight containers. Vacuum bags are popular but mason jars work really well. They'll take on moisture through ziplock bags over time which will degrade them pretty quickly. A lot of us use desiccant packs as well.

160F in the dehydrator for 24 hours is the standard, just make sure they're cracker dry before you package them.

Job well done, keep up the good work!

OfflineNef
Little Man
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: EU
Re: 1st time grow, PE6 monotub (pics) - I have a some questions [Re: LornaShore]
    #28068659 - 11/25/22 08:11 PM (2 days, 21 hours ago)

Nice result LS

:rockon:

--------------------
Trade and Wish List

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder