Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleIcyurmt
Strange
 Unread Journal

Loc: 5a
Laughing Gas Is Being Banned In the Netherlands As Reports of Extreme Use Grow * 1
    #28055127 - 11/16/22 08:01 PM (1 year, 4 months ago)

https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7z5k7/laughing-gas-ban-netherlands

Laughing Gas Is Being Banned In the Netherlands As Reports of Extreme Use Grow
The clampdown on nitrous oxide sales comes after links with car accidents and reports of extreme bingeing including one man who used eight 2,000g tanks in one day.
By Max Daly
LONDON, GB
November 16, 2022, 12:05pm

The Dutch government is banning the recreational use of laughing gas over fears it can cause severe nerve damage, as well as the drug’s role in hundreds of car crashes.

Laughing gas, or nitrous oxide, has become a popular drug among young people in Europe. It is inhaled through a balloon and creates a short, euphoric, dissociative hit. A relatively harmless drug in small doses, it’s become increasingly prevalent at parties and festivals over the last decade, but experts fear the drug is being used in increasingly risky ways.

Authorities in the Netherlands, where 37 percent of clubbers regularly use the drug, are concerned about a rising number of children using it, alongside reports of alarming health risks linked to heavy use and its involvement in road traffic accidents.

Confirming the ban on the, distribution, sale and possession of nitrous oxide, which will be introduced in January 2023, Maarten Van Ooijen, the Dutch state secretary for health, said: “The recreational use of nitrous oxide leads to enormous health risks. In addition, the safety of non-users is also at stake. We have seen enough reports in the news that terrible accidents have happened due to road users using laughing gas.”

Police allege laughing gas played a part in 1,800 road traffic accidents in the Netherlands between 2018 and 2021, including 63 fatal collisions, even though there is currently no way for police to test if a driver is intoxicated with the drug. Drug experts at the Utrecht-based Trimbos Institute said there has been growing use of nitrous oxide among 12-14 year olds, and doctors have reported rising cases of heavy nitrous oxide users suffering deficiency of vitamin B12, which can affect the brain, spinal cord and nerves, because of inhaling the gas.

Changes in the way laughing gas is supplied is believed to be increasing problematic use by making the drug cheaper and more abundant. The most common way of filling balloons with nitrous oxide is by using metal, finger-length chargers (“whippets”) containing 8g of the gas, which are often discarded on streets. But now users are increasingly filling balloons using super-size cylinders containing 640g of nitrous oxide.

Most nitrous oxide users take the drug now and then, and in a relatively harmless way, but doctors say they are coming across extreme cases.

In the Netherlands, people have been buying 2,000g mega-tanks and dispensing the gas into balloons from their homes. The tanks cost between €40-50 (£35-44, $42-52) and fill around 150 balloons. In the two years after the emergence in 2017 of these tanks, the Dutch Neurologists’ Association found that 64 people, with an average age of 22, had been treated for partial spinal cord injuries due to nitrous oxide abuse. 

A 2021 Dutch study documented heavy use of nitrous oxide among a group of young Dutch-Moroccans living in Amsterdam. Some had started using laughing gas in Morocco, where the drug is popular with young people, but had stepped up their use of laughing gas after using the 2,000g tanks and reported neurological symptoms including severe paralysis.

Some members of the group went on solo laughing gas bingeing sessions, getting through three 2,000g tanks in one day. One man used eight 2,000g tanks on a day-long binge.

“None of the young people interviewed said they had a limit,” said the study. “Some enter a timeless vacuum during their nitrous oxide binge where hours and days seem to merge into one long trip.” One interviewee told researchers: “You fall asleep with a balloon in your mouth, wake up after an hour and a half, and go on with balloons.”

The group, a mix of men and women, told researchers they became addicted to laughing gas to relieve boredom, to seek out relaxation with friends and to suppress psychosocial stress and negative thoughts.

The study also noted the rise in Amsterdam of “balloon hookers”, women who have sex with men in exchange for nitrous oxide. 

One medical case study in Canada noted a man who was regularly using 400 8g chargers a day before he was treated with naltrexone, a drug usually used in treating heroin addiction.

In September Jackass star Steve-O revealed he had once gone through 600 nitrous oxide chargers in 24 hours.

In the UK nitrous oxide is legal to possess but is banned for sale for use as a drug. Government drug advisors are currently considering whether to change the law on nitrous oxide. There were 56 deaths linked to nitrous oxide in England and Wales between 2001 and 2020, 45 of those registered since 2010.

Nitrous oxide is legitimately used in hospitals and by dentists as a sedative and anaesthetic. It’s combined with oxygen in the “gas and air” given to reduce pain during childbirth. It is also used in the catering industry to create whipped cream.

Harry Sumnall, professor of substance use at Liverpool John Moores University, said the new Dutch law will be hard to enforce.

“As nitrous oxide  has recognised catering, industrial and medical uses, the Dutch government faces the challenge of how to prohibit sales to individuals for non-exempt purposes, whilst facilitating legitimate sales. Already there are suggestions of pragmatic compromise, where small metal catering cartridges will continue to be sold, despite having high potential for diversion. So perhaps the new legislation will specifically target larger volume canisters.

“This is also likely to have implications for other European countries, as Dutch suppliers are the primary source of large canisters in countries such as the UK, including through domestic distributors.”

--------------------
👁️ 🌊 why you are empty.

Hunt for the habitat not the mushroom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTheStallionMang
Do U know who yur fuckin with?
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Laughing Gas Is Being Banned In the Netherlands As Reports of Extreme Use Grow [Re: Icyurmt]
    #28055439 - 11/16/22 10:51 PM (1 year, 4 months ago)

“balloon hookers”
:babypalm:

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
Re: Laughing Gas Is Being Banned In the Netherlands As Reports of Extreme Use Grow [Re: TheStallionMang]
    #28055532 - 11/17/22 12:25 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Does anyone go through this many cigarettes? 

Quote:

400 8g chargers a day

Quote:

600 nitrous oxide chargers in 24 hours

How many chargers for a balloon hooker.

https://translate.google.com/?sl=auto&tl=nl&text=balloon%20hooker&op=translate

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Laughing Gas Is Being Banned In the Netherlands As Reports of Extreme Use Grow [Re: Icyurmt]
    #28055603 - 11/17/22 03:34 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Maybe they should just start with limiting the size of the tanks or amounts available to the public??? I guess that's too fucking obvious.

It's linked to a few car wrecks? I assume alcohol must already be banned in Amsterdam...and obviously tobacco too. Can't have dozens of people death's being linked to something without a complete and total ban. I guess there goes refined sugar, don't forget fast food, no more cars of course, better outlaw fire and electricity too while we are at it, no more construction or industrial work(that's just too dangerous), even BICYCLES in the Netherlands cause more death and injury than that...in fact let's just confine people to their homes...the world at large is WAAAY more dangerous than nitrous.

I would love to see what would happen if they proposed outlawing bikes in the Netherlands because of the number of deaths and injuries they are "involved" in....lmao.

What are coffee shops and bakers/restaurants who rely on nitrous going to do under a total ban?

Is it all gonna be reddi-wip for them in the future? Because reddi-wip is complete and total ass compared to real whipped cream, but making real whipped cream without nitrous is time and labor intensive and doesn't stay ready for use...let alone all the other things you can make and dispense with nitrous when it comes to baking and confectioneries...

Instead of banning nitrous altogether, they should just limit the individual chargers to restaurant supply companies. and put the onus on them to sell to legit businesses.

Or just ban the chargers altogether(there litter is a nuisance, and even when used legitimately they often don't get recycled), and only allow .95/2.2L 100% nitrous tanks to be sold by licensed distributors to licensed and reputable businesses with the onus on the supplier to make sure they aren't be defrauded. Then mandate the .95L/2.2L tanks to be sold for personal use to contain oxygen and/or limit the sale to 1 per person per day/week with a monitoring system akin to what they do for pseudo-ephedrine sales(each sale must be recorded and to whom)...with tracking of sales of all sales and punishments for both the suppliers and restaurants for failing to keep proper records or unjustifiable sales numbers and punishments for consumers who bypass the law by "smurfing"(as breaking bad would put it).

Using nitrous to make whipped cream and other toppings at home is really nice, but if I were forced to just make it all by hand it wouldn't be that big of a deal....but as far as when I have worked as both a chef and before that a barista it was absolutely essential in both occupations(assuming you give a shit about taste/quality), without it I would have had to eliminate a lot of items and offerings from the menu, even topping coffees/lattes with whipped cream during a rush would have become too cumbersome and time consuming.

Edited by Holybullshit (11/17/22 04:19 AM)

InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Keymaster
 User Gallery

Loc: hades
Re: Laughing Gas Is Being Banned In the Netherlands As Reports of Extreme Use Grow [Re: Holybullshit]
    #28055858 - 11/17/22 09:02 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Hundreds of car crashes, huh?  I wouldn’t have guessed that..

--------------------
:mushroom2:Orange clock, pencil:bouncysmoke:
"They threw me off the hay truck about noon...":fishing:
:mushroom2:*Mark 15:34:levitate::mushroom2::blueninja:
Gam zeh ya’avor...:sunny:

Offlineiggycrop
-
Male User Gallery

Re: Laughing Gas Is Being Banned In the Netherlands As Reports of Extreme Use Grow [Re: Amanita86] * 3
    #28055923 - 11/17/22 10:19 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

I'm no Lacquerhead, but I've done a few whippits in my day and I can't say that doing it while driving had ever crossed my mind WTF?

InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Keymaster
 User Gallery

Loc: hades
Re: Laughing Gas Is Being Banned In the Netherlands As Reports of Extreme Use Grow [Re: iggycrop]
    #28057426 - 11/18/22 01:13 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Yeah that seems like a conflict of interests.  Which apparently it is…

--------------------
:mushroom2:Orange clock, pencil:bouncysmoke:
"They threw me off the hay truck about noon...":fishing:
:mushroom2:*Mark 15:34:levitate::mushroom2::blueninja:
Gam zeh ya’avor...:sunny:

Offlinesk8fast
Tripping skater
 User Gallery

Re: Laughing Gas Is Being Banned In the Netherlands As Reports of Extreme Use Grow [Re: iggycrop]
    #28058126 - 11/18/22 11:53 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Quote:

iggycrop said:
I'm no Lacquerhead, but I've done a few whippits in my day and I can't say that doing it while driving had ever crossed my mind WTF?

I had a friend in high school that crashed his car otw to school doing nitrous. I thought the same thing when I heard that, why the fuck would you inhale nitrous while driving? I guess when you have it next to you some people don't have the self control to wait until they get to their destination. Its almost guaranteed you will crash though, especially if u are inhaling more than 8g at once. Nitrous literally will mess up the control you have over your nervous system.

Offlineiggycrop
-
Male User Gallery

Re: Laughing Gas Is Being Banned In the Netherlands As Reports of Extreme Use Grow [Re: sk8fast]
    #28058210 - 11/18/22 01:09 PM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Haha, I had a friend in HS that I could easily see doing exactly what your friend did.  The way you describe it, I can 100% see him doing it.  It's like you lifted a veil off my eyes and now I can see exactly how there could be a bunch of auto accidents from nitrous, LOL.  Some people are so fucking dumb.

Offlineviraldrome
 User Gallery

Loc: Parts Unknown
    #28059462 - 11/19/22 04:12 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

I don't think we should ban drugs because someone might drive on them. That's not fair to all the people, the majority of users, who would never use them while driving. The cops don't need a test for it either since all the evidence of balloons and cans should be proof enough. You get busted with an open beer can in the car, same with open nitrous cans. In North America there is also a large amount of legit whippet use in food industry and preventing stoners from getting them will be hard, what are you going to have nitrous licenses? Its product with legitimate uses.

"One medical case study in Canada noted a man who was regularly using 400 8g chargers a day"

That's pretty damn expensive when they cost a buck a pop. The giant tanks don't create all the waste but are hard to get here. Even the stuff sold for racing is required by law to have bittering agent, its illegal to hook it up to your car, but we have a law anyway. I imagine some sort of regulation is eventually coming, couple paralyzed kids make for a great media scare story.

--------------------
Lysergamides I have tried so far: 1P-LSD, 1cP-LSD, ALD-52, AL-LAD, LSZ, ETH-LAD, MIPLA, EIPLA, 1cP-AL-LAD

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Laughing Gas Is Being Banned In the Netherlands As Reports of Extreme Use Grow [Re: sk8fast]
    #28061066 - 11/20/22 02:35 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Quote:

sk8fast said:
I had a friend in high school that crashed his car otw to school doing nitrous. I thought the same thing when I heard that, why the fuck would you inhale nitrous while driving? I guess when you have it next to you some people don't have the self control to wait until they get to their destination. Its almost guaranteed you will crash though, especially if u are inhaling more than 8g at once. Nitrous literally will mess up the control you have over your nervous system.

I would think the affects on depth perception would be the real issue, unless its your first time doing nitrous or you are hitting it hard enough to black out. It's not like it makes you lose control of your limbs or anything unless you've just go no tolerance or your holding your breath in to the point of dropping your o2.

But that's kind of the problem...people don't realize just how much it fucks with your depth perception when they are hitting whip its on a couch in their basements...but then you take a lungful or two and the road starts stretching and shrinking in front of you(only know this from being a passenger), a car can go from looking 10 meters away, to 100 meters away, and then back to 10 in less than 30 seconds. And the whole time you aren't sure which one is right, lol.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck