Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
Oregon Coast ID
    #2803939 - 06/17/04 10:41 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Hey guys, I went to Florence, Oregon today and went crabbing. We stopped in a park where I glanced under some trees and found this specimen. Can someone give me an ID?

a. Habitat: Florence, Oregon. Growing on moss in a park on the floor shaded by trees.
b. Characteristics of the gills: white/pinkish, gills, attached
c. cap measurement: 4" stem :1.5"
d. Characteristics of the stem: white, leather texture, solid, thick
e. Characteristics of the cap: Cracked due to age, almost a purple color, leathery dry texture, wavy
f. Spore print color: working on it, not sure if it's gonna drop any spores due to age
g. No bruising
h. Scent: putrid, smells like decaying mushroom or decaying seafood

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Oregon Coast ID [Re: Signo]
    #2803942 - 06/17/04 10:43 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Im thinking Russula of some kind. But I could be wrong.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2804031 - 06/17/04 11:13 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Your description suggests that your mushroom is in the group of mushroms close to Russula xerampelina.

The easy way to verify that it's a Russula (it looks like one in your photos) is to break the stem with your fingers. If it's a Russula, it will fracture irregularly like chalk, without fibers like most mushrooms have.

If so, the spore print should come out cream colored to yellowish.

The rotting part of the odor suggest that this specimen is past its eat-by date.

Happy mushrooming!

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
Re: Oregon Coast ID [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2804612 - 06/18/04 04:06 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Here is a pic of the stem after breaking apart. It did rip in irregular places. Are Russula xerampelina edible is harvested before decay sets in?

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

Edited by Signo (06/20/04 12:26 AM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2804705 - 06/18/04 06:21 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

David Arora, in Mushrooms Demystified, says he thinks it's the best species of Russula there is.

I should warn you that your mushroom is only close - there are several species of Russula with a somewhat fishlike odor. None of those species are known to be poisonous. The true Russula xerampelina normally has a pinkish flushed stem, and yours does not - so I think you've got one of the similar species. Without a microscope we will not be able to tell for sure which species you have.

Russula is a relatively safe genus in North America for eating, but I don't personally know anybody who thinks they're actually good. Of course, that's a matter for personal preference, and you might actually like them. The ones to avoid bruise black or taste peppery (hot). The rest of them are eaten, especially by immigrants from eastern Europe. Some of those people even eat the hot ones. The black bruising ones definitely need to be avoided - in Europe and Asia at least one of the black bruising species has caused fatalities.

If you decide to eat some, make sure you try only a small amount the first time (a teaspoon or less), and keep at least one specimen (uncooked) in a bag in the refrigerator just in case you get sick. If you get sick enough that you decide to go to the emergency room, take the mushroom with you. They will be able to use it to verify that you aren't poisoned with amatoxins or something else deadly.

Incidentally, that warning is standard for *any* wild mushrooms you may ever decide to eat.

Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale