Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineganoveces
Stranger
Noob PF Tek jar pics...contam im not seeing?
    #28038367 - 11/07/22 02:54 PM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Hi!

Noob here.  Noc'd these jars 10/7/22.  Pre-sterilized brfs that came with grow kit.  Bin is on heat mat on temp controller at 79.  i put a couple sheets over it cus its cold AF in my basement....like 63-65 degrees.

Did 20 jars total using 3 x 10cc syringes ( 2 x golden teach, 1 x b+).  my dumb ass didnt mark the jars and they are allm ixed up now.  rookie mistake.

1 had discoloration early and i tossed it.  2 didnt have any growth after 2 weeks.  down to 17.

pics of jar below.  they were colonizing nicely for 3 weeks, then most stalled at the bottom.  Was told flip them (by the grow kit place) so i did and growth took off again.

I dont see any red, yellow, pinks colors in these jars.

I do see spider web strings on the walls of the jars.

Some are pulling away from the sides of jars and 1 has that mush growing in it.

the one with a mush in it had like an odd crevasse in the BRF early on.  then it was overtaken by bright white but still is grayish.

ive noticed the brf, when it gets moist, turns darker color.  this normal?

I dont mind losing jars just hoping i can get a few to fruit on my first go.

Any thing look off on these?  Again, i dont see any colors that would indicate contam, but as a nooberino, posting here will at least give me some peace of mind.

Thanks!

-
JAR1:

JAR2:

JAR 3:

JAR 4:

JAR 5

JAR 6:

JAR 7:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehazyhorse
scoobin
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Noob PF Tek jar pics...contam im not seeing? [Re: ganoveces]
    #28038548 - 11/07/22 04:45 PM (1 year, 4 months ago)

condensation like that & pinning before full colonization can be signs of bacteria. i don’t think it’s recommended to flip staples jars anymore but i only did PF tek once so i don’t keep up to date on it. from what i remember, the taller jars have a tendency to still for whatever reason but bacteria can also be a culprit. im sure you’ll get some fruits, though. you can try top fruiting the jars, that way you don’t have to birth them & take off any uncolonized parts & all that jazz

--------------------
you're not the first to set foot here, just another
===================================
i love glass petris & you can too!!
posts i constantly refer back to
new to mushroom cultivation?? read this!!
===================================

🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

Offlineganoveces
Stranger
Re: Noob PF Tek jar pics...contam im not seeing? [Re: hazyhorse]
    #28038661 - 11/07/22 05:27 PM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Hey thanks for the reply!

Damn...bacteria!  Yea my dumbass was antsy first 7-10 days checking on them.  Taking em out of incubator to examine. Live and learn.

You think all these are bad or should I just carry on with the plan?

I was hoping they would finish up in a week or so and be ready to birth.  Then dunk and roll and fruit in tub perlite and air pump/humidifier for fae on a timer and led grow light for 12 hours a day.

That last jar in the images looks like a good cake compared to other images I've seen. I have 2 other jars that look similar. 

The jar that has a visible mush in it, is that bad? 

When I decide to birth, I will toss anything that smells off if no other signs of contam.

A good healthy cake should should smell like mushrooms from the store? and not like fermented cabbage or apples...

Is top fruiting just taking off lids and removing verm later and fruit in jar

Thanks again!  Any other info you care to share I'm all ears.

Invisiblefungusul
Fungus Kingdom

Re: Noob PF Tek jar pics...contam im not seeing? [Re: ganoveces]
    #28039198 - 11/07/22 08:40 PM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Welcome To Shroomery! :mushroom2:

- Remove heating mat. Heating mat is a no-no. Use an electrical heater to heat the room.
- Use wide mouth jars(smaller than 500ml). It's easier to take cake out.
- Is not recommened to use taller jars. Colonization slows down because of substrate's compression.
- Is not recommened to use bigger containers than 500ml. Only use them in combination with agar edges or LC.
- Turning pf jars upside down is a no-no. Breaks dry vermiculite filter.
- Moving pf jars too much is not recommended. Shifts dry vermiculite filter.

To fix the turning problem, you could add 2+ layers of 3M micropore tape over holes. It might work if no contaminants mixed into substrate.

Read Updated PF Tek Guide.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures