Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
Offlinedbag2192
Hongo Caps
Male User Gallery

Brf and wbs combo?
    #28036728 - 11/06/22 03:18 PM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Does anybody out there use a combination of bed cakes and wbs? If so what kind of ratios do you use? Or could someone point me in the right direction of some threads already on here. I been using a mixture of verm, brf, wbs flour, wbs, and gypsum for my cakes and it was working great but I’ve ran into some issues with some particular strains. They do fine in the jars but once I try to fruit them they contaminate pretty quickly. Jackfrost, AMVP, penis envy, etc…some of the more difficult strains I’m having no luck with…thinking of just going back to plain brf cakes with gypsum. Any help or advice or links to other pages where this has already been talked about is much appreciated. I’ve been growing for a while but I want to make my brf cakes better without going into casings cus I don’t have the space to dedicate for that. I’ve recently gotten into some agar work and doing liquid cultures but I’m  still new to those as well.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehazyhorse
scoobin
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Brf and wbs combo? [Re: dbag2192] * 1
    #28036877 - 11/06/22 04:33 PM (1 year, 4 months ago)

are you pressure cooking your cakes? it’s very difficult to steam sterilize grains

--------------------
you're not the first to set foot here, just another
===================================
i love glass petris & you can too!!
posts i constantly refer back to
new to mushroom cultivation?? read this!!

🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

Offlinedbag2192
Hongo Caps
Male User Gallery

Re: Brf and wbs combo? [Re: hazyhorse] * 1
    #28036908 - 11/06/22 04:50 PM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Yes I am, pressure cooking at 15psi for 90 mins. I sift the seeds, take out anything that floats, take out all the sunflower seeds, dump boiling hot water on them and let them sit until the water is cool. Then I rinse and rinse and rinse until the water is clear. Let them dry in a i lander for an hour or so. Then take half of them and bag them and freeze them. The other half I put on sheet trays and bake at the lowest temperature until dry. And those I grind up into wild bird seed flour. Then I make my cakes and replace about 40% of the brf with part wbsf and part wbs. Never really had any issues up until recently. These certain strains tho are not liking it. I also believe I’ve been putting too much gypsum in my mixture. With this recipe I was told 5-7% of your substrate without including the water. Looking farther into it on shroomery, it looks like most people are using 1 T in the original 5 jar pf tek recipe. In my recipe that would be about 7 tablespoons. I’ve been using the 7% which is 10oz or 20 tablespoons. So I’m def cutting back on the gypsum. Right now I’m doing some plain brf cakes with gypsum at 7 tablespoons and going to try the Jack Frost, AMVP, and albino a+ again cus they didn’t like my bird seed and heavy gypsum recipe.

Offlinedbag2192
Hongo Caps
Male User Gallery

Re: Brf and wbs combo? [Re: dbag2192]
    #28036913 - 11/06/22 04:54 PM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Where’s RR at? I made a shroomery account just hoping to hear from him lol

OfflinePDS88
Stranger
I'm a teapot
    #28037318 - 11/06/22 09:16 PM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Just curious why you’re going to all this trouble to make complicated cakes vs just making grain jars and tubs? The process you outlined seems overly complicated IMO. What’s your perceived benefit?

Offlinedbag2192
Hongo Caps
Male User Gallery

Re: Brf and wbs combo? [Re: PDS88]
    #28037811 - 11/07/22 07:53 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

I don’t have the space to make tubs. Right now I have fruiting chambers with lights inside of them in the bottom of my closets. I’ve not been able to figure out a way to make monotubs work. So I’ve tried to make the most out of my cakes. A friend who is very good at growing told me to start moving bird seed in and gave me his method. It seemed to improve the weight and the potency. But of course that’s so hard to measure. I could have just had some lucky batches and I could have gotten the same result maybe with just the brf method. It seems complicated but I make all the bird seed in big batches and only have to make it about once a year. I’m trying to make the most of my cakes because I can’t do tubs easily. There’s tons of debate whether bird seed makes things any stronger or not. And I’m really not sure myself. The same time I started using bird seed I started using gypsum also. So maybe it’s just the gypsum and the plain brf cakes will produce just as well without as many contams. I don’t know.. I’m still experimenting and trying to get others opinions and suggestions

Offlinedbag2192
Hongo Caps
Male User Gallery

#28038008 - 11/07/22 10:45 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

I also don’t know what I’m doing with monotubs and grains…I’ve been doing research on it for years but I’ve never actually tried it. my main problem is I have to keep everything hidden. So right now I have big SGFC’s that aren’t see through with 6500k lights mounted in the top of them. And then they are kept in the bottom of my closet. Somebody comes over. I just shut the closet doors. So if I was to use tubs I’m not sure how to mount the lights. Or could I do smaller bulk substrates and still use my SGFC? Like I understand everything with the bulk substrate, monotubs, spawn to grains. I understand it cus I’ve done so much research in it but I’ve never actually tried it. I always felt like my cakes did so well why change it up. But all of sudden they aren’t doing well lol. I’m going back to plain brf with gypsum cakes for now to see if I can get these more complicated strains to at least fruit. If I can’t get them to fruit then I won’t be able to get them to fruit in bulk either. Right now they are just contaminating within a few days after I put them in the fruiting chamber but only certain strains.

OfflineJaksavage
Mycodelic
 User Gallery

Loc: Left coast
    #28038021 - 11/07/22 10:50 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Welcome
If you want super nutes add some ground up dog food.

Keep it simple.

Shoeboxes dont take up much room.

:goodluck:

--------------------
:bigbang:

:takingnotes:

The Shroomery is the biggest library with the coolest librarians

Invisibleruawakeyet
 User Gallery

#28038041 - 11/07/22 10:58 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

I'd recommend doubling down on your agar research and practice, your SAB research and practice, and keep the rest simple. Plain ol BRF and verm work great. Gypsum is not required, and steeping the WBS just to dry it back out sounds completely unnecessary.

Running lights INSIDE the FC sounds too risky. If you close the closet if someone comes over anyway, you could be using clear plastic totes and ambient lighting, or hang your light in the closet, but OUTSIDE of the FC.

Invitro growing is another option, or using ziplocks as FCs if stealth is required. Growing stones in jars is another stealth option, although a much slower option...

Good luck!

Offlinehazyhorse
scoobin

Re: Brf and wbs combo? [Re: ruawakeyet] * 1
    #28038100 - 11/07/22 11:38 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

this is also a pretty kick ass method to grow. you can totally just use prepped wbs & coir at a 1:1 ratio & fruit out the bottle’s top if you really don’t wanna move to monos

--------------------

Invisiblefungusul
Fungus Kingdom

Re: Brf and wbs combo? [Re: hazyhorse]
    #28038137 - 11/07/22 12:17 PM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Welcome To Shroomery! :mushroom2:

Try Muda's bottles. Read Updated Bottle Tek New and improved.

Prepare grains and mix them with standard CVG, gypsum, coffee. You can add BRF/flour or whatever you find in your kitchen.

I like to mix WBS(Foo's method), BRF, coffe, gypsum with CVG. As long as grains are properly hydrated and CVG is at capacity field, you are okay.

For exotics read EF-tek (Exotics Fanaticus cakes) .

Offlinedbag2192
Hongo Caps
Male User Gallery

Re: Brf and wbs combo? [Re: fungusul]
    #28038152 - 11/07/22 12:37 PM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Thanks for all the awesome advice and links guys/gals! I’m gonna keep it simple for now and I’m looking into the monos more..I believe I can make it work with some new research…do I not want the light inside the fruiting chamber cus of heat? I use an led 6500 light stick..I’ve done it for years and years and I usually have great results..you’re saying that it should be outside the fc? And I should switch to clear tubs and have the lights outside the tub? I have some going like that in the side of a grow tent were I keep some tropical plants during the winter and I’m not having near the results I’m having in my ones in the closets…they seem to stay short and fat. I assumed it was because of the amount of light and it needing to go through the plastic so it wasn’t getting as much light. I’m not quite a noon but I have tons to learn. I’ve only recently moved past pf tek and on to trying new things. I had a friend that was helping me and was using his advice but he kinda stopped giving me advice after I started having good results. But now im not having good results anymore and am looking for help. Thanks again guys and thanks in advance for  more help.

Offlinedbag2192
Hongo Caps
Male User Gallery

#28038156 - 11/07/22 12:43 PM (1 year, 4 months ago)

So basically I should go get some different tubs for now. Some clear ones. And get my light outside of the sgfc? Keep it simple and once get good result move into monotubs. I like the idea of using them for sure I’ve just never tried. And being stealthy isn’t too big of a deal I just need to be able to close the closet door temporarily sometimes. I have about 90 cakes or so going right now so I’m just trying to get a good way to fruit them for now. Which hasn’t been much of an issue until lately. I think weather change might be a big aspect also..it’s been cold at night and 70 during the day recently. Anybody have a Snapchat or anything that they’d be willing to share somehow so I could send pics and talk personally?

Offlinedbag2192
Hongo Caps
Male User Gallery

#28038168 - 11/07/22 12:54 PM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Jars are very easy for me. I’ve done them for so many years they don’t take me much time. I have a big pressure cooker too so I can cook 28 half pints at a time. And I’m using LC so those jars will colonize in a week or so usually…it’s just been easier for me to do cakes. And I felt like I was able to fruit enough cakes fast enough to keep my supply pretty steady so I never worried about changing anything. Only recently have I started using additives to them like bird seed. And At first it really seemed to be doing something. With the rash strains at least.m, Thai pinks, golden teachers, z strains…they all produce really really well the way im doing them. The pinks will give me over a qp using about 20 cakes in 2 flushes. I guess I do need to move on to monotubs tho..I could use smaller clear tubs and stack them is this correct? I don’t have much space. And then just hang the light on the outside like mounted to the wall of the closet? I’m glad I got in here finally and made an account. Thanks for all the feedback. You guys are awesome. And when you say dog food? Like ur not kidding? Replace some of the brf with ground up dog food or what exactly? Sorry this is my first time hearing about using dog food.

Invisiblefungusul
Fungus Kingdom

#28038170 - 11/07/22 12:56 PM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Instead of SGFC, you could try Water Tub Tek for fruiting BRF cakes. Low or no maintainance and better results than SGFC.

OfflinePDS88
Stranger
I'm a teapot
    #28039051 - 11/07/22 07:19 PM (1 year, 4 months ago)

I think you’re on the right track with trying tubs. Look up bod’s unmodified shoebox/tub tek. It’s slap ya mama simple and doesn’t take up much space at all. I wouldn’t be that concerned about lights/schedules/mounting. Ambient light is just fine. If someone comes over and you need to chuck em in the closet for a bit, no worries. I’ve done BRF cakes but won’t look back since switching over to tubs. I’m fairly new as well (about 10 months in now) but now that I have several very successful tub grows under my belt, I would never switch back to cakes.

Best luck man! Just don’t over complicate it. 🤙🏼

Offlinedbag2192
Hongo Caps
Male User Gallery

Re: Brf and wbs combo? [Re: PDS88]
    #28045578 - 11/11/22 03:28 PM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Any ideas how to get my remaining cakes I have left to fruit? They colonize just fine but when I try to fruit them they sit in the FC for a while and then they contam. It’s mostly trich I’m getting….any ideas on how I can get them to fruit or why they are doing this? Never had trouble like this in my life…I’m just making cakes to throw them out at this point..going back to pf tek and starting over after these wbs combo cakes. Just hate losing everything I’m doing when everything was going so great.

Offlinehazyhorse
scoobin

#28045596 - 11/11/22 03:32 PM (1 year, 4 months ago)

that’s frustrating man, im sorry. something is off, either in your agar/LC work, inoculation, or potentially the grain prep & sterilization is off.

also to answer your other question, yeah the monotub set up you describe should be totally fine. also yes, apparently dog food works lmao. i’ve never done it, but it IS in the OG muda bottle tek

--------------------

Offlinedbag2192
Hongo Caps
Male User Gallery

Re: Brf and wbs combo? [Re: hazyhorse]
    #28045724 - 11/11/22 04:18 PM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Thanks man…I can’t figure out at all what’s going on…I’m getting pins…but they they are contaminating before they really do anything…I didn’t have any trouble until I did a couple batch of pint jars to see how they did..few batches did pretty good but most didn’t…and once I went back to half pints they are still contaminating also…it’s all the same wbs flour and wbs that I’ve been using for many successful batches…I don’t know…I’m just gonna try to fruit all these best I can and then start doing plain pf tek again…if all that starts working out again then I’m going to monotubs…I just want these to fruit so I can spore print them and move on to the next thing lol…I want to keep the genetics going

Offlinedbag2192
Hongo Caps
Male User Gallery

#28047313 - 11/12/22 04:02 PM (1 year, 4 months ago)

I’m really starting to think it’s my LC…it’s about 4 months old now..most made with spore syringes…it grows mycelium fine but every time I try to fruit it..it contaminated…after doing research my theory is that the lc always had some contaminates in it…but the myc was able to grow faster and go ahead and produce…I’ve never really been able to get more than 2 flushes before contamination…some strains 3 but most just 2 and then they would contaminate on the 3rd. But anyways my theory is that as the lc is getting older the contaminates are able to grow better and there’s more of them from being older. It’s the same substrate I’ve always used. Even the bird seed and wbs flour are still the same batch. I’m new to lc so it’s hard for me to tell when it’s bad or not. And visually none of it looks bad with the research I’ve done of what it’s supposed to look like. But once again I’m a newbie to lc. My friend that gave me the wbs/brf combo also gave me his lc recipe and it’s just super complicated…more than it needs to be I feel like. Boil potatoes, strain through double coffee filter multiple times, add corn syrup, pc…it’s a whole ordeal. Most are using way easier teks than mine. Does anyone with a lot of lc experience have a preferred recipe? I’m looking at one that uses 1 g of LME to 250ml water and that’s it…seems so easy compared to what Ive been doing…this guy does some weird ahit but produces some crazy amounts of fruits from his cakes. But I don’t think his methods are for me. I work too much. I need easy and productive haha.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds