Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEternalMetal
Member of theBlack LabelSociety
How Long Do Mushrooms Last?
    #2803385 - 06/17/04 06:51 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I want to go mushroom hunting tomorrow for the first time. I am a total n00b to it, so i cam on to this site. I have been reading around, and i cant find out how long mushrooms last after they are picked.

Im going to pick a whole bunch of different kinds of mushrooms, get a print, take pics, and look on the internet for info. At then end i will post the pics up for analyzing to see which ones are good. So how long will they last before they are no good?

Im looking for the hallucinogenic mushrooms, as are probably most on here, but im just specifiing.

thanks, if this information could be given to me that would be great. If it is somehow something easy to find, im sorry, but i couldnt find it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: How Long Do Mushrooms Last? [Re: EternalMetal]
    #2803398 - 06/17/04 06:58 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Im going to pick a whole bunch of different kinds of mushrooms, get a print, take pics, and look on the internet for info

Thats a horrible approach to mushroom hunting! You'd be better off buying a book and taking it in to the field with you. Better yet you could read the FAQs here at the shroomery and learn which species grow in your area, on what, and how to identify them... Then post pics here and ask help for ID.

As far as how long mushrooms will last... Depends on the mushroom and what condition it was in when you found it. That's a very broad question.

OfflineOoze
Oozalicious

Loc: FL
    #2803412 - 06/17/04 07:07 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

First and foremost, if you do find any mushrooms while out hunting, please correctly identify them before consuming. You dont want to die now do you?? Read the sticky note at the top of the 'Mushroom Hunting' forum for info on how to get a shroom identified here. (pics help).

Second, how long mushrooms last depends. If left 'wet' then they will not last very long, maybe a few days, before they start to rot and possibly grow mold on them. If you decide to keep them wet, place them in a paper bag and put them in a refrigerator, this helps them last a little longer.

Now if you dry your mushrooms out completely they will last much much longer (months). If you seal them airtight in the absence of Oxygen, then from what I?ve heard, they can last for years with full or almost full potency.

Go here : http://www.shroomery.com/index/par/3337
and here: http://www.shroomery.com/index/par/7913

OfflineEternalMetal
Re: How Long Do Mushrooms Last? [Re: Gumby]
    #2803418 - 06/17/04 07:10 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Well, i was going to read up some more about what to look for in my area, and since i was looking on horse manure, i thnk i found some places that said which mushrooms grew on horse manure.

Whats so bad about my approach? im not experienced with it, nor do i know anyone who has good experience, so i was going to look at pictures of mushrooms in my area that are active, pick a whole bunch of different kinds in hopes opf finding a cluster of good ones, and then take the prints, take good pictures, and post them on the internet for the veterans to look at. Im not going to trust myself on this, nor just one person saying go for it, so i figured some good high quality pics on the net will get me started pretty good.

I usually do my fair share of research before i do things, so i will probably have a whole bunch of knowledge once i find the mushrooms that are good. Im not one of them people that just spontaneously does things or just up and buys some thing cause it is neat and not doi research on it. I will have a whole bunch of pics under me before i go identifying.

How broad of a question is it? like what kind of span could hallucinogenic mushrooms have? im just kind of curious here.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #2803442 - 06/17/04 07:18 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Well, the approach is kind of like shooting a gun at random and hoping to kill something. Not high chances of finding the right mushrooms. If you do your research and look in the right places and pick mushrooms in those places, that'd be a good way to narrow it down.

As far as average life of a fresh mushroom outside of a refrigerator... I'd say not much longer than 24 hours. Mushrooms rot fairly quick. Once the gills start to go and the mushroom starts to stink, forget about putting it in your mouth  :tongue:

OfflineEternalMetal
    #2803454 - 06/17/04 07:23 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

alright, so how about i look for info regarding what mushrooms grow in my area (new Jersey), where certain mushrooms groe (horse manure in a moderatly shady place), and what these look like and then going out, getting a print, taking pictures, and if i get a quick approval dry them out, and if not, just discard and try again.

this sound alright?

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #2803488 - 06/17/04 07:41 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Sounds much better  :smile:

OfflineEternalMetal
    #2803565 - 06/17/04 08:24 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

alright, thanks for the advice, im going to go do my research and once i pick my muchrooms and do all that god stuff, im going to come back for some help on the I.D.

thanks again for the help, hopefully i will have some good mushrooms soon :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder