Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedimitri8
Grow from a huge agar block?
    #2800245 - 06/16/04 08:51 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hey... after working in a lab I came to think about growing shrooms on agar rather then all those rice cakes and co. do you think it would work? of course from a large block with fungal nutrients and so on and not just from a petri dish....

The advantage (I think) would be that you could just use 10 times the nutrient concentration and maby get many many more flushes that way?!?!?

I set up an experiment trying exactly this... a 1kg agar block... but what do you guys think? will it work???

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedistortion
 User Gallery
Loc: Murder Mitten Flag
Re: Grow from a huge agar block? [Re: dimitri8]
    #2800261 - 06/16/04 08:55 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Sounds like a very interesting experiment, let us know how it goes! My first thought was that mycelium needs air pockets in the substrate to colonize, and I believe agar would lack this. In a petri dish, there is a thin layer of agar with a large surface area which makes up for the air pockets. Of course, I could be horribly wrong on all this. :crazy:

--------------------
Think for Yourself. Question Authority.

-Timothy Leary

Offlinedimitri8
well... [Re: distortion]
    #2800296 - 06/16/04 09:11 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

well yes.. but even if the fungus only grows on the surface of the block, the nutrients could diuffuse to the surface as it is used up and continuously feed the surface growing fungus/mushrooms ... so maby this could work....

The issue with my experiment is that its a self made agar and I`m not sure how good that is in the first place.... I mixed agar gel with dextrose, starch, water and yeast extract... sterilized and made the block.. but well we`ll see....

Does anyone know if excessive nutrient amounts are a problem? After all I did put tons of that stuff in to see if I get multiple flushes...

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: well... [Re: dimitri8]
    #2801424 - 06/17/04 06:22 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Sounds like an interesting experiment, umm....its seems to me like the fruits wouldnt be able to anchor themselves because the agar is so dense. Im not real sure though, im interested in seeing what happens.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: well... [Re: dimitri8]
    #2802392 - 06/17/04 02:38 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

You would probably want to use peroxidated agar, and live culture (not spores}.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation